Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Windows Update SP2 and Wireless Problems

Old 07-19-2005, 12:51 AM
dubcac
I

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windows Update SP2 and Wireless Problems

Ok, here goes. I reformatted my main HD on Sat. night, and I have been doing updates since. I did the SP2 update tonight, restarted, and then couldn't connect to my wireless network. I tried using the program for my wireless card, and it wouldn't connect. Then I tried going through the Windows Wireless Connection properties instead, and it wouldn't allow me to use the WEP passphrase I normally use. It didn't allow 128bit encryption. So, I left the box checked where it says a passphrase is generated automatically for me. After this, I was finally connected to our network. My wireless card driver showed connection, but the Windows Wireless Connection still showed that I wasn't connected. I've lost connection a few times since then.

I'm pretty friggin confused and frustrated right now. Is there a way that I can get rid of the SP2 update and go back to the previous settings, or anything else I can do to have a more stable connection?

BTW, I'm running a Netgear wireless card. The Netgear app. shows connection currently, while Windows wireless says I'm not connected.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:02 AM
b00gers

Probably should wait till morning for an answer h: Wish I could help.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:04 AM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

physically remove the netgear card from your system
boot your system
remove the netgear drivers and software
restart your system
boot to windows
restart your system again
boot to windows and install the netgear drivers and software again
shut down your system
physically install the card again
boot to windows
cross your fingers
Old 07-19-2005, 01:05 AM
dubcac
I

Well, I'm downloading an updated driver for my wireless card, that resolves SP2 compatibility issues. I'm gonna try installing right now.

BTW, I have already turned off the Windows firewall.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:06 AM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

Originally Posted by dubcac
Well, I'm downloading an updated driver for my wireless card, that resolves SP2 compatibility issues. I'm gonna try installing right now.
:goodjob:

I just went though the same thing with a Motorola Wireless-G PCI card. No friendly updates though.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:30 AM
dubcac
I

Well, all that driver did was make it worse. I had to remove, then reinstall the old driver....then go through everything I went through before to connect again. Now the connection is very weak, and I can't even open the Netgear wireless config program.

I'm currently connected through the Windows Wireless Connection setup, but even that keeps going in and out.

Edit: I looked at the connection, and I'm not even connected to our network. Windows still claims it's not configuring the wireless connection, and I can no longer get to the option for windows to configure it. I still can't open the Netgear utility.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:43 AM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

look at my previous post ... looks like your drivers got scrambled during the SP2 "security" upgrade.

you need to completely wipe your system and make it look like the card was never there.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:24 AM
Dweezel
d@weezel music

Yeah I am having issues too with my network. Everything was working fine, then with no changes, I get drop-outs every 5-30 minutes. It seems to have corrected itself now, but it may be my built-in WLAN card.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:30 AM
spanky
I go duffy on dem bitches

format and leave sp2 off h:
Old 07-19-2005, 05:36 AM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

Originally Posted by Dweezel
Yeah I am having issues too with my network. Everything was working fine, then with no changes, I get drop-outs every 5-30 minutes. It seems to have corrected itself now, but it may be my built-in WLAN card.
That's a driver issue for sure. I've fixed that in the past.