Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Wouldn't this be interesting if it turned out to be true?

Old 07-02-2005, 12:25 PM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wouldn't this be interesting if it turned out to be true?

http://www.mediainfo.com/eandp/news/..._id=1000972839

Wow... that could be a problem, but I don't think an average joe would understand the full ramifications of this situation...
Old 07-02-2005, 12:33 PM
LocaL raCer
R.I.P. Kato-san

so why not enlighten us, oh great one.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:46 PM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/01/22/cia.leak/

Basically, there was this guy who wrote a column critical of the Bush administration's handling of Iraq. Then, suddenly, someone released his wife's name as a covert CIA agent, basically ruining her life and career (Also, it's a federal felony to do that in the US). This leak was released to several columnists, and they published it in newspapers. The husband accused the whitehouse for releasing this info as retribution, and the administration testified (including Rove) in front of a Grand Jury that they were not involved. If it's true that Rove was involved, then he's committed Perjury as well as a federal felony with a possible sentence of 10 years in federal prison.

If the authorization to do this goes higher than Rove, then some very important people are screwed.
Old 07-02-2005, 01:01 PM
mike01civic

Good luck proving that one.
Old 07-02-2005, 01:07 PM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

Originally Posted by mike01civic
Good luck proving that one.

Let's see what happens in the next week
Old 07-02-2005, 01:08 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

A bit more detail:

There's a guy named Joe Wilson who used to be a U.S. ambassador.

Before the current Iraq war, he was sent to Niger to investigate the possibility that Iraq had been buying supplies to make nuclear weapons, including uranium, from Niger. He concluded this was not possible.

Then the British government, followed by the Bush administration, issued statements and findings and whatnot saying that Iraq had bought supplies for nuclear weapons, including uranium, from Niger.

Wilson criticized these claims. Shortly after doing so, information was leaked to a newspaper that Wilson's wife Valerie Plame was a covert CIA operative, effectively blowing her cover.

Wilson has said that this was done by the Bush administration in order to destroy her career, in retaliation for his public charge that the Bush administration had lied to the American people about U.S. intelligence concerning weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.

The Intelligence Identities Protection Act states, that a person who "learns the identity of a covert agent and intentionally discloses any information identifying such covert agent to any individual not authorized to receive classified information, knowing that the information disclosed so identifies such covert agent and that the United States is taking affirmative measures to conceal such covert agent's intelligence relationship to the United States," must not disclose such information. It carries a maximum penalty of 10 years in jail.

An investigation by both the Justice Department and FBI was started to find out the source of the leak. John Ashcroft, who was attorney general (head of the Justice Department) at the time recused himself from the investigation. He's closely associated with the Bush administration and for him to head up an investigation of the administration would have been a conflict of interest.

Karl Rove is George W. Bush's senior advisor and chief political strategist. If it turns out that he was the person who leaked Plame's status with the CIA, then it makes a very convincing argument that the Bush administration retaliated against Wilson for criticizing their policy. Which would make Dubya saying "Iraq has weapons of mass distruction," about as credible as Nixon saying "I am not a crook."
Old 07-02-2005, 01:18 PM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

Originally Posted by MrFatbooty
A bit more detail:

There's a guy named Joe Wilson who used to be a U.S. ambassador.

Before the current Iraq war, he was sent to Niger to investigate the possibility that Iraq had been buying supplies to make nuclear weapons, including uranium, from Niger. He concluded this was not possible.

Then the British government, followed by the Bush administration, issued statements and findings and whatnot saying that Iraq had bought supplies for nuclear weapons, including uranium, from Niger.

Wilson criticized these claims. Shortly after doing so, information was leaked to a newspaper that Wilson's wife Valerie Plame was a covert CIA operative, effectively blowing her cover.

Wilson has said that this was done by the Bush administration in order to destroy her career, in retaliation for his public charge that the Bush administration had lied to the American people about U.S. intelligence concerning weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.

The Intelligence Identities Protection Act states, that a person who "learns the identity of a covert agent and intentionally discloses any information identifying such covert agent to any individual not authorized to receive classified information, knowing that the information disclosed so identifies such covert agent and that the United States is taking affirmative measures to conceal such covert agent's intelligence relationship to the United States," must not disclose such information. It carries a maximum penalty of 10 years in jail.

An investigation by both the Justice Department and FBI was started to find out the source of the leak. John Ashcroft, who was attorney general (head of the Justice Department) at the time recused himself from the investigation. He's closely associated with the Bush administration and for him to head up an investigation of the administration would have been a conflict of interest.

Karl Rove is George W. Bush's senior advisor and chief political strategist. If it turns out that he was the person who leaked Plame's status with the CIA, then it makes a very convincing argument that the Bush administration retaliated against Wilson for criticizing their policy. Which would make Dubya saying "Iraq has weapons of mass distruction," about as credible as Nixon saying "I am not a crook."

That's the long of it, I was just trying to keep it bit-sized h:
Old 07-02-2005, 02:56 PM
Frankie Dirtbag
The White Man's Burden

very interesting. hopefully they get ot the bottom of this.
Old 07-02-2005, 03:12 PM
antarius
Large Member

If Karl Rove did it, he should be put in jail. Plain and simple.

If George W. Bush authorized it, he should be impeached and put in jail. Plain and simple.

Then again, another president of ours lied under oath and wasn't put in jail -- need I mention who?

In reality I've got no clue if Karl Rove did this or not, but I find it extremely unlikely that even if he did -- that Bush would have authorized it. To me it smells like the left wing is just getting all excited because of the idea that they may be able to do what they were unable to do at the polls for the last 8 years -- defeat Bush.

In the end I think the guy coming out saying he has proof that the source was Karl Rove will end up being unreliable and thus, nothing will happen.

However, as I stated above; If it was, put him in jail. If Bush put him up to it, put him in jail too -- but again, to me this sounds like a feeding frenzy of the left over the idea of a way to get Bush out of office, since they failed the last two times.
Old 07-02-2005, 04:17 PM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

Originally Posted by antarius
If Karl Rove did it, he should be put in jail. Plain and simple.

If George W. Bush authorized it, he should be impeached and put in jail. Plain and simple.

Then again, another president of ours lied under oath and wasn't put in jail -- need I mention who?

In reality I've got no clue if Karl Rove did this or not, but I find it extremely unlikely that even if he did -- that Bush would have authorized it. To me it smells like the left wing is just getting all excited because of the idea that they may be able to do what they were unable to do at the polls for the last 8 years -- defeat Bush.

In the end I think the guy coming out saying he has proof that the source was Karl Rove will end up being unreliable and thus, nothing will happen.

However, as I stated above; If it was, put him in jail. If Bush put him up to it, put him in jail too -- but again, to me this sounds like a feeding frenzy of the left over the idea of a way to get Bush out of office, since they failed the last two times.
Heh... if it really just is a feeding frenzy, I'd liken it to both what the Republican party attempted to do to Clinton and succeeded with Gov. Davis. If it is just a dirty trick by my usual party of choice, then I will be rather pissed. If it comes out that Rove and/or the president/VP themselves involved, then we should have full justification to light up the torches and smoke the rats out.

Of course, this wouldn't be the first time Rove has done this (He got fired from Bush Sr.'s campaign for doing something very similar).

Also, assuming that Rove truly did lie about this, we must look at the Clinton/Rove comparison a little closer. One lied about a sexual relation, and the other committed a felony and put a CIA agent's life at potential risk. Anyone with any common sense can at least differentiate between the greater of the crimes.