Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Wouldn't this be interesting if it turned out to be true?

Old 07-02-2005, 04:35 PM
reno96teg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Epoch
One lied about a sexual relation, and the other committed a felony and put a CIA agent's life at potential risk. Anyone with any common sense can at least differentiate between the greater of the crimes.
lying under oath is lying under oath, plain and simple.
Old 07-02-2005, 04:48 PM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

Originally Posted by reno96teg
lying under oath is lying under oath, plain and simple.

Oh yeah, I acknowledge that. Clinton was fairly impeached because of his actions, and if someone in the current administration is found to be guilty of perjury, then they should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. The REAL crime I'm concerned about here is outing a covert CIA agent, which is punishable by up to 10 years in prison, 50K fine, or both.

I'm just pointing out that making a black-or-white statement comparing this situation with Clinton's is just an attempt to downplay the fact that a full-on felony was committed by someone in the administration BESIDES lying to a grand jury.
Old 07-02-2005, 04:50 PM
reno96teg

and if someone in the current administration is found to be guilty of perjury, then they should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
agreed.

I'm just pointing out that making a black-or-white statement comparing this situation with Clinton's is just an attempt to downplay the fact that a full-on felony was committed by someone in the administration BESIDES lying to a grand jury.
gotcha.
Old 07-02-2005, 05:04 PM
Tobra

Rove is a vindictive asshole, no doubt about it, would not surprise me a bit if he did it. He is not stupid though, so it would surprise me greatly if evidence of the act exists. Bush would be able to deny knowledge of it either way.
Old 07-02-2005, 06:00 PM
antarius
Large Member

Why is Rove a vindictive asshole?

Do you know him personally, or do you have information that the rest of us don't, or are you just a part of helping create this mythical uber-evil Rove character that the media and the left like to paint as of late?

I'm not saying he did or didn't do it; I don't know, but to sit here and villianize someone for something you have no idea about is just stupid.

Epoch, I agree with you. One lied about an affair and, for the sake of argument, one would have lied about a serious issue involving the security of this nation. Naturally the punishment for the latter should be more severe.

As a note, Clinton wasn't punished at all for lying under oath. Not one bit.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:44 AM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8525978/site/newsweek/

Ouch :reechy: Turns out that he is the one that released the info h:
Old 07-10-2005, 09:58 AM
antarius
Large Member

Yeah, sort of.

Nothing in the Cooper e-mail suggests that Rove used Plame's name or knew she was a covert operative.

Kind of hard to release information saying she's a covert operative when you never mention her name or even imply that you knew she was an operative.

Right?

The coincidence does warrant further investigation though, in my opinion.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:04 AM
canada

I want to be an undercover CIA agent...
Old 07-10-2005, 10:42 AM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Originally Posted by antarius
Yeah, sort of.

Nothing in the Cooper e-mail suggests that Rove used Plame's name or knew she was a covert operative.

Kind of hard to release information saying she's a covert operative when you never mention her name or even imply that you knew she was an operative.

Right?

The coincidence does warrant further investigation though, in my opinion.
Rove told Cooper that Wilson's trip had not been authorized by "DCIA"—CIA Director George Tenet—or Vice President Dick Cheney. Rather, "it was, KR said, wilson's wife, who apparently works at the agency on wmd [weapons of mass destruction] issues who authorized the trip."

Did you skip over that part? Or what about all this stuff after the one sentence you've highlighted?

Nonetheless, it is significant that Rove was speaking to Cooper before Novak's column appeared; in other words, before Plame's identity had been published. Fitzgerald has been looking for evidence that Rove spoke to other reporters as well. "Karl Rove has shared with Fitzgerald all the information he has about any potentially relevant contacts he has had with any reporters, including Matt Cooper," Luskin told NEWSWEEK.

The article shows both sides. We can go on for ages quoting one side or the other if we really want to.
Old 07-10-2005, 12:38 PM
Tobra

Originally Posted by antarius
I'm not saying he did or didn't do it; I don't know, but to sit here and villianize someone for something you have no idea about is just stupid.
Karl Rove is as bad as Nixon or Hoover were about holding grudges, that has been common knowledge since he was running the show in Texas. Just because someone is a vindictive asshole does not make him a villain. Nixon was one of our best Presidents, even taking into account his numerous faux pas, Hoover served this country very well for many years. I guess it is what you think makes a person a villain.

Surprises me he would step on his dick like this, perhaps not as smart as I thought he was.

BTW, what Rove knew, said or did is independant of the President. He is an advisor; this does not necessarily mean he told the President everything he knew or did.