Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

fish/aquarium peoples?

Old 04-27-2005, 10:22 PM
Brad
wooo nascar!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fish/aquarium peoples?

so.. i'd never had a pet fish till a few months ago. i got a betta and a bowl and he's doing just fine. i am looking to expand a bit. i want to put him in a bigger tank with a filter and some other fish. nothing big, just like a 12gallon tank or so.

how many, and what kinds of fish can i put in a 12 gallon tank with one male betta? i dont know much about this crap so try and bear with me. thx
Old 04-27-2005, 10:29 PM
dE.fUsEd
I still like honda's. :-/

bettas are evil killers.

get another betta and watch them fight.
you should get a vase for it.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:31 PM
Civic2Scooby

you cant put bettas with any other fish.....they will kill them
Old 04-27-2005, 10:34 PM
Hondaman
Black Pearl

For a male betta, it really depends. I've seen males live with many other fish in a five gallon tank. I've also seen males that would fight to the death with anything in a 20 gallon tank. I really depends on the fish and how teritorial he is. My suggestion would be to get 5 gallon tank with an under gravel filter and put a clear divider in it if you want to add other male to the other side. You can add an opaque divider plate so they won't see each other, then when you want them to fight, pull the opaque divider out and let them fight through the clear one. They can't physically touch one another, but it's fun to watch. Be careful with this though as it can stress the fish out big time. Total cost for this set up is about $25. You can do this with a 10 as well, but it is going to be more expensive.($50) Go to Wal-mart and take a look at tanks. They have some pretty good deals on them. If you do put him in a 10, add a cheap fish like a tetra or white cloud and see how he reacts. If he kills them, you'll know and won't be out that much on fish.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:41 PM
Brad
wooo nascar!

Compatibility. Male Bettas do best in a large Fish bowl with a few Ghost Shrimp and some live plants as mentioned above.

Usually White Clouds are compatible with Bettas and can live in a Large Fish Bowl with a Betta, but sometimes the Betta will chase and annoy the White Clouds, and very rarely White Clouds have nipped on a Betta. Click here for more information about White Clouds.

Males Bettas can also be kept in aquariums with Platies, Mollies, Swordtails, Angel Fish, Danios, Gouramis, a school of Bala Sharks, a school of Clown Loaches, a group of Corydoras Catfish, and a Plecostomus Catfish.

i know you can't put a male betta with another male betta.. but ive been told by many people that you can have one male betta as a part of a community tank.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:44 PM
Brad
wooo nascar!

Originally Posted by Hondaman
For a male betta, it really depends. I've seen males live with many other fish in a five gallon tank. I've also seen males that would fight to the death with anything in a 20 gallon tank. I really depends on the fish and how teritorial he is. My suggestion would be to get 5 gallon tank with an under gravel filter and put a clear divider in it if you want to add other male to the other side. You can add an opaque divider plate so they won't see each other, then when you want them to fight, pull the opaque divider out and let them fight through the clear one. They can't physically touch one another, but it's fun to watch. Be careful with this though as it can stress the fish out big time. Total cost for this set up is about $25. You can do this with a 10 as well, but it is going to be more expensive.($50) Go to Wal-mart and take a look at tanks. They have some pretty good deals on them. If you do put him in a 10, add a cheap fish like a tetra or white cloud and see how he reacts. If he kills them, you'll know and won't be out that much on fish.
im planning on getting an eclipse system 12. not sure what else i wanna put in with him, but i was thinking i'd try a couple neons and see how he does.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:44 PM
Hondaman
Black Pearl

Originally Posted by RiceBurninVTEC
Compatibility. Male Bettas do best in a large Fish bowl with a few Ghost Shrimp and some live plants as mentioned above.

Usually White Clouds are compatible with Bettas and can live in a Large Fish Bowl with a Betta, but sometimes the Betta will chase and annoy the White Clouds, and very rarely White Clouds have nipped on a Betta. Click here for more information about White Clouds.

Males Bettas can also be kept in aquariums with Platies, Mollies, Swordtails, Angel Fish, Danios, Gouramis, a school of Bala Sharks, a school of Clown Loaches, a group of Corydoras Catfish, and a Plecostomus Catfish.

i know you can't put a male betta with another male betta.. but ive been told by many people that you can have one male betta as a part of a community tank.
It all depends on the betta. Some are territorial some are not. Cichlids are supposed to be compatible with other Cichlids, but they don't always get along.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:47 PM
Hondaman
Black Pearl

Originally Posted by RiceBurninVTEC
im planning on getting an eclipse system 12. not sure what else i wanna put in with him, but i was thinking i'd try a couple neons and see how he does.
I would try Serpe Tetras. They are a little cheaper, heardier, and less prone to deseases. If they work out, you can switch to the Neons. Stay away from the Painted Tetras though, they are very prone to desease and they are really dumb (even for a fish)
Old 04-27-2005, 10:48 PM
Civic2Scooby

Originally Posted by Hondaman
It all depends on the betta. Some are territorial some are not. Cichlids are supposed to be compatible with other Cichlids, but they don't always get along.
true.dat....I ran a cichlid tank for a long time....it could even be the same kind of cichlid but different fish have different tolerances towards other feesh
Old 04-28-2005, 12:07 AM
supapoopa
Nissan: Shift_Recall

Any small tetra would work. Since its only a 12 gal, the biggest fish i would out in that to accompany the betta would be platies. Bet setup that i can see for a 12 gal would be a pair of platies, the one betta, and a school of 6-7 tetras, and one otocinclus.

Gourami's are related to betta's and are also territorial. The bigger gourami would probably end up nipping off the bettas tail, most will get to big for your size tank anyways.

heres a few good links for further info.

http://www.fishinthe.net

http://www.myfishtank.net

http://healthybetta.proboards19.com/

good luck with the new tank.