Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

I voted for it, and now I will vote against it :eek3:

Old 02-07-2005, 10:52 AM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I voted for it, and now I will vote against it :eek3:

About that increase in benefits that I actually said I supported Bush about:

President Bush's budget would more than double the co-payment charged to many veterans for prescription drugs and would require some to pay a new fee of $250 a year for the privilege of using government health care, administration officials said Sunday.

The proposals, they said, are in the $2.5 trillion budget that Mr. Bush plans to unveil on Monday. White House officials said the budget advanced his goal of cutting the deficit, which hit a record last year.

"We are being tight," Vice President Dick Cheney said on "Fox News Sunday." "This is the tightest budget that has been submitted since we got here."
Old 02-07-2005, 11:52 AM
BonzoAPD

Originally Posted by Epoch
About that increase in benefits that I actually said I supported Bush about:

Epoch, do you know anything about the increase and how it will work? First off, this fee is only for people who do not have health issues due to military service. Secondly, it is not for poor veterans, only for ones who can afford it. Thirdly, $250 for healthcare is cheap as all hell. I will get some sources for you in a little bit. I am at work right now.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:02 PM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

Originally Posted by BonzoAPD
Epoch, do you know anything about the increase and how it will work? First off, this fee is only for people who do not have health issues due to military service. Secondly, it is not for poor veterans, only for ones who can afford it. Thirdly, $250 for healthcare is cheap as all hell. I will get some sources for you in a little bit. I am at work right now.
Do you not think I know that? But don't you think our military deserves a little better than a government who's trying to nickle and dime them apart? The problem is, to me, they're increasing costs of living on people who volunteered their lives for the country. 50% of the projected budget shortfall has arisen because of the "economically sound" tax cuts. Can't we give a little back to those who have given all, and at least reduce the impact?

And, as I read it, not only are they increasing the copay, but it's a _new_ fee of $250 a month, not an increased... but I may be wrong on that count
Old 02-07-2005, 12:13 PM
BonzoAPD

Originally Posted by Epoch
Do you not think I know that? But don't you think our military deserves a little better than a government who's trying to nickle and dime them apart? The problem is, to me, they're increasing costs of living on people who volunteered their lives for the country. 50% of the projected budget shortfall has arisen because of the "economically sound" tax cuts. Can't we give a little back to those who have given all, and at least reduce the impact?

And, as I read it, not only are they increasing the copay, but it's a _new_ fee of $250 a month, not an increased... but I may be wrong on that count
Epoch, I have to agree with you that our veterans are great and that from the looks of things, it could seem as though we are nickle and diming them. I am not sure what the salary cut-off for the increase is. It is for the higher wage earners and demoicrats should be happy about that since they are always clamoring that republicans need to tax the rich more.

Here are some articles on the situation. This is a way to get some more money. Sure we could repeal some tax cuts but that will hurt the economy. Again, Bush is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

From the Ny Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/07/po...er=rssuserland

here's some quick analysis of it:
http://michellemalkin.com/archives/001444.htm

more analysis:
http://www.captainsquartersblog.com/...ves/003765.php
Old 02-07-2005, 12:43 PM
Tobra

Sort of a bait and switcheroo though. The VA hospitals are not that great anyway, and they are cutting a ton of services already and closing facilities. The poor vets, and I do mean poor, get screwed pretty hard already, if they can afford to, they won't be using the VA, so why stick them with any fees.