Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

McLawsuits are baaaack!

Old 01-26-2005, 09:17 AM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default McLawsuits are baaaack!

:db:

Thought yall would like this:

A federal appeals court has revived a lawsuit that could put the squeeze on fast-food giant McDonald's for obesity claims by some of its customers.

The appellate panel in New York on Tuesday reversed a lower court decision that dismissed the suit claiming McDonald's used deceptive advertising to trick consumers into eating unhealthy food.

The suit is on behalf of two New York teen-agers who said they ate at McDonald's three to five times a week for years, and blame the company for obesity, diabetes, coronary disease, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and other ailments.

Tuesday's decision overturned a September 2003 lower court ruling that tossed out the case. The appeals panel found that the allegation that McDonald's violated the New York Consumer Protection Act was worthy of "inspection" by the court.

The suit alleges McDonald's failed to provide customers with free, written, easily understood nutritional information about its fast food and neglected to "adequately disclose that its use of certain additives and the manner of its food processing rendered certain of its foods substantially less healthy than represented."

McDonald's said in a statement it was confident the case would ultimately fail.

"Common sense tells you this particular case makes no sense," the statement said, adding, "Today's ruling, which is strictly procedural, simply delays the inevitable conclusion that this case is without merit."

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...y_050126170655

Last edited by MrFatbooty; 01-26-2005 at 09:59 AM.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:18 AM
Derek
you motorboatin' s.o.b.

"put down the fork! FACE!!!"
Old 01-26-2005, 09:27 AM
Pete
Civilian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

omg, anyone can get fat just by being a lazy sh*t and watching TV all day, but no one is suing the decendent's of Philo Farnsworth (inventor of TV).
Old 01-26-2005, 09:35 AM
benjamin
Stuff and things.

Originally Posted by CR_X-Wing_stg3
omg, anyone can get fat just by being a lazy sh*t and watching TV all day, but no one is suing the decendent's of Philo Farnsworth (inventor of TV).
Nobody is suing television manufacturers because TV and obesity do not have a causal relationship. McDonalds food, on the other hand...
Old 01-26-2005, 09:36 AM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

If "diabetes, coronary disease, high blood pressure, high cholesterol" run rampant in certain ethnic groups as hereditary disorders... then is there anyone other than McDonalds that could be blamed for it? Probably not.

McDonalds isn't at fault. I doubt the plaintiffs in those cases can prove that they ever asked for nutrition information. For the past 15 years it's been available upon request at all nation-wide fast food chains. If it were handed out with every meal, liberal environmentalists would be cursing them for wasting paper and "killing trees". Edit: just like they were about the styrofoam containers... and noticed they stopped using them?

Most educated people cook their own food. Survival of the fittest kind of thing maybe? It doesn't matter whether it's fried chicken or a caesar salad. It's still cheaper and healthier than what fast food chains serve. Anyone with half a brain knows that already. I've heard a 9-year old say that before.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:37 AM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Wow this is amazing. I have eaten fast food at least 3-5 times a week for the last 10 years and I am not obese or suffering health problems at all.

I wonder if maybe it has something to do with what some call EXERCISE?
Old 01-26-2005, 09:39 AM
DakarM

Originally Posted by Nightshade
Wow this is amazing. I have eaten fast food at least 3-5 times a week for the last 10 years and I am not obese or suffering health problems at all.

I wonder if maybe it has something to do with what some call EXERCISE?

you are crazy. exercise? wtf is that? that has nothing to do with anything :rick:
LCD Squad #0001
Originally Posted by WiLL
...I really wanna get out and shoot people.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:43 AM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Originally Posted by DaKarMaul
you are crazy. exercise? wtf is that? that has nothing to do with anything :rick:
Yeah you are probably righth:

I find it funny they do all these studies like on red meat or eggs and decide it is bad for you. The problem is they take a sampling of people who eat a dozen eggs in the morning then sit at their desk all day and have no physical activity in their day.

Yeah its gonna be bad for you to do that. You fat bloated fukking cow...get off the couch for at least an hour out of the day and do something that takes more exertion than changing the damn channel for once in your life.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:43 AM
ISP James
DAMIMRED

it's your fault you fat ****s!!! learn to be accountable for your own eating problems. get a friggin treadmill and put down the big mac :angry:
Old 01-26-2005, 10:03 AM
Jessica
ch1x0r

i can't believe people.