Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Letter I wrote to a bunch of safety Nazis

Old 12-11-2004, 02:08 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Letter I wrote to a bunch of safety Nazis

Perhaps you all remember the C6 Corvette ad from this summer entitled "A Boy's Dream" in which a 10 year-old kid dreams about marauding around downtown Manhattan in a C6 to the tune of the Rolling Stones song 'Jumping Jack Flash.' I thought it was a cool ad. Unfortunately it only aired about 7 times, because some overzealous safety crackheads decided that having an ad on tv which showed a kid driving recklessly would unduly encourage kids to drive recklessly. I tend to disagree, since kids aren't that stupid; plus it was a cool commercial for a cool car. So mainly because I am bored right now, I decided to write the f*cks who wrote letters to GM a letter of my own. It goes like this:

Hi,

I am a self described liberal individual who is all for promoting things like safe, sane, behavior, especially when it comes to the operation of motor vehicles. I’m very much a fan of consumer advocacy and safety advocacy. I think your organization does a lot of good things. However, I think your organization’s actions with regard to the Chevrolet Corvette commercial titled “A Boy’s Dream” are quite ridiculous.

Okay, so the commercial shows some kid dreaming about piloting a Corvette through downtown Manhattan at extralegal speeds, but so what? Do you really have so little faith in the human race that you think anyone will really be stupid enough to think this ad depicts responsible vehicular usage? Yeah yeah, kids need to be protected from themselves in some instances, but I highly doubt a fanciful car commercial is going to increase the instances of 10 year-old boys driving Corvettes through downtown Manhattan and causing a ruckus. Automotive commercials always show people doing things with vehicles that no one actually does in real life. Think of how many 4x4 truck or SUV commercials you’ve seen which show people driving crazily through the dirt, over rocks, up a mountain, whatever. Uh oh, let’s go protest those ads! People might hurt themselves driving like that without proper training! Why the lack of an uproar? Because nobody drives their SUV this way, they use it to pick up their kids from soccer practice and go to the mall.

Now as far as I can see it the main reason your organization has picked this specific bone with GM about this specific commercial is because it shows a child behind the wheel. You guys make sure kids and cars are a safe combination. But really, you’ve gone too far. Even the most painfully below-average intelligence 10 year old (let’s say, Forrest Gump or something) can realize that they don’t have a driver’s license and that this commercial is nothing more than a 30-second flight of fancy. Unless you’re making sure that this hypothetical kid you’re protecting doesn’t decide that when he grows up he’ll buy a Corvette and drive it around downtown Manhattan like the kid in the commercial, I can’t see what purpose—if any—there is for being a bunch of ninnies and lodging a protest.

As a car enthusiast, I got to see that ad a total of one time and I thought it was really cool. So at the very least if you are going to make a big stink about it being on the air, you could have the common decency to point me in the direction of where I might find it on the internet. And the next time you want to get in a snit about one of the very few interesting car commercials to have come around in a long time, talk to me first. Bitches.
Old 12-11-2004, 02:21 PM
MahoneyL80
I want 2 B cool like u!

and you should have also added "being that at one point in my life i was a child also, i had fantasies about driving fast in just about every sports car imagineable. Its the american childs dream to own and drive a high performance car to its fullest potentiol. So with or without the commercial pre-teen boys will think about doing just that. And look at all of the video games that depict those kinds of things. Wouldn't you think there would be more 10 and 11 yr old boys stealing their parents cars and parading around major metropolitan cities?"

or something to that effect
Old 12-11-2004, 02:23 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Great, you can write them a letter too.

www.kidsandcars.org

Click the "contact us" link at the bottom right of the page.
Old 12-11-2004, 04:36 PM
stephan
:exnbp:

very nice letter booty I agree as well some ppl are a tad bit sensitive