Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

i have a job interview at UPS

Old 10-20-2004, 01:38 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i have a job interview at UPS

in 1 hour :uhhok:
Old 10-20-2004, 01:39 PM
agent87
Need zzzzz's

You'll do well. For what position if I may ask?
Old 10-20-2004, 01:40 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

package loader/unloader
Old 10-20-2004, 01:44 PM
agent87
Need zzzzz's

Originally Posted by Snoopy
package loader/unloader
Which hub/center dood? I currently unload (preload) at the Oakland hub as a second, part time job. I'm leaving though.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:46 PM
IluvJae
Grifball Player

NOOOOOOOO
DONT DO EET
DONT DO EEET
NOOOOOOOOOO
I regret ever being an UnderPaid Slave. I worked 6 months in there philly airport hub and i was working as a Primary Sorter. The pay might sound good but when they start taking out the $25 a week for 8 weeks for Union Dues + Taxes and after Union Initiation its $17 a month for being in the union. You'll paycheck will look very very meager
Old 10-20-2004, 02:07 PM
RB
snitches get stitches

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by darksideofjae
NOOOOOOOO
DONT DO EET
DONT DO EEET
NOOOOOOOOOO
I regret ever being an UnderPaid Slave. I worked 6 months in there philly airport hub and i was working as a Primary Sorter. The pay might sound good but when they start taking out the $25 a week for 8 weeks for Union Dues + Taxes and after Union Initiation its $17 a month for being in the union. You'll paycheck will look very very meager

It's because of a union that you have higher pay in the first place, so stop whining.
Old 10-20-2004, 02:17 PM
HawtPants
the one and only

get used to night shift
Old 10-20-2004, 02:18 PM
White[Pony]
For relaxing times...

I had an interview for the Gardena hub a few months back. I had to drive all the way downtown for it... then they lost my number or something
Old 10-20-2004, 02:38 PM
agent87
Need zzzzz's

Originally Posted by RB
It's because of a union that you have higher pay in the first place, so stop whining.
I know exactly where darksideofjae is coming from. In addition to that, it's very dusty, loud, and somewhat dangerous. Turnover is crazy and my part time supervisor is always yelling at us to "flow harder!" Every morning when I get home, I blow out black snot and find new bruises.

That said, I guess you're right. The benefits are supposed to be really good, especially for part time work. The union does the negotiating for you but from what I hear, new hires don't have it quite as good as far as benefits and pay are concerned compared to before. A few years ago, I hear that they were being paid over $10/hr and the probationary period was only 30days. Now you get $8.85 and the probationary period is 90 working days.

But hey snoopy, I think if you go in there with a plan (driver, parttime sup, fulltime sup, degreed position), then it's awesome. If not, then, well, like darksideofjae and I, you'll become quite dissatisfied with the pay and work. I guess it's different for different people. I think brtecson works at UPS so long timers like him would be a better source of info.
Old 10-20-2004, 02:48 PM
IluvJae
Grifball Player

I mean the part time sups when i was working was making $1100/monthly and was only getting paid once a month. I know when i was there i was being paid $8.50 and i had to climb up and down belts. I lost a pair of glasses that way. Also the bad thing is while working the sorter sometimes as packages would come down the slide you would have to watch out cus there would be the occasional package that will come barreling down at you. My first day there i sprained my wrist from stopping a package from slamming into the back of my head.

Like agent87 said if you wanna make a carrier out of it then its there. I just dont have the time nor the health to contine to work in that hot warehouse. With just this big tube with a fan on one end blowing hot air out on all of us