Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

anyone ever had poison ivy?

Old 07-19-2004, 10:27 AM
reno96teg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone ever had poison ivy?

i seem to have caught it during my excursion on martha's vineyard (small island off the coast of cape cod, massachusetts). the last time i had it i was a kid.

i wonder if i should be preparing myself for a couple of weeks of hell. :happysad:
Old 07-19-2004, 10:32 AM
Tinker Bell
mexikin who?

doesnt it wear off fairly quick?? I get it all the time at the beach and it usually goes away when I go into the water for awhile (im assuming your reffering to the rash that is produced when coming into contact with poison ivy), try some rubbing alcohol if it is the rash your talking about :bigok:
Old 07-19-2004, 10:33 AM
dubcac
I

I had poison oak not too long ago.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:34 AM
96gsintegra

heheh im a lucky bastard...not allergic to it
Old 07-19-2004, 10:39 AM
reno96teg

Originally Posted by Räyorαςιηg
doesnt it wear off fairly quick??
well, people react differently. i remember having it for days on end when i was a kid. of course, i would also scratch like crazy. right now i'm applying this stuff that is pretty much taking away all of the itch, but the rash hasn't gone away. i was in martha's vineyard on friday. and on saturday, i went to the beach and spend a good amount of time in the water, and it didn't make a difference. the rash from the poison ivy is most obvious today.

i have a spot on the back of my left hand, on my right wrist, at the top of my left foot, below my left knee, and a little bit on my left ear. i'm hoping it stops there.

dubster, how long did it take for yours to go away?
Old 07-19-2004, 10:42 AM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Calamine lotion and do not itch that shit for any reason.

I have had it a couple times and as long as I didn't mess with it it went away in about a week.

You can also go to the doctors office and they will prescribe you a topical solution that I believe has a steroid of sorts in it that reduces its effects pretty well.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:43 AM
dubcac
I

It took a while for it to go away, but I had it pretty thick on my leg. The spotty parts went away pretty quickly. I used this stuff called Zanfel. It's kinda expensive (~$40 for a tube), over the counter. You rub it on wherever you have poison ivy, and then rinse it off. It gets out all the poison and stops the itch, and in most cases the rash goes away within 2 days. Mine took a little longer, but it did stop the itch. I was in hell before I got that stuff.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:47 AM
clickwir
Floppy Death! noES!!!

Oatmeal bath. :thumbup:

Literally just plain old oatmeal with that freaky guy on the front of the canister. Few cups of that in your bath water, nice hot bath... it'll help. I used to get into it all the time, would take a few days to go away... oatmeal bath helped me more that the lotions.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:48 AM
dubcac
I

BTW, I tried calamine lotion and a poison oak/ivy wash, and neither worked.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:56 AM
teg128
Banned

Originally Posted by clickwir
Oatmeal bath. :thumbup:

Literally just plain old oatmeal with that freaky guy on the front of the canister. Few cups of that in your bath water, nice hot bath... it'll help. I used to get into it all the time, would take a few days to go away... oatmeal bath helped me more that the lotions.
it's edible too