Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Thoughts on Responsible Gun Ownership...

Old 07-09-2004, 11:25 AM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on Responsible Gun Ownership...

I rented Bowling for Columbine a few weeks ago, and I have been meaning to post this for a while... so here goes.

In BFC, when that elementary school shooting in rural Michigan was discussed... the pointed issue of responsible gun ownership was brought to light. And I'd like to see what people here think about it.

For the record:
• I absolutely and whole-heartedly endorse the defense of the Second Amendment.
• Our right to bear arms must be defended... period.
• But at the same time, I feel like there's more we should be doing to avert school shootings like the Michigan incident discussed in BFC.

So here's the issue / question:

For a fraction of the cost of 1 box of ammunition, a child-safety latch could have prevented the .38 from coming into that 1st grader's hands...and the fatal shooting could have been averted.

How should we - as a nation - both defend the 2nd Amendment and at the same time, stress the need for responsible gun ownership?
How do we secure our right to bear arms, yet prevent these tragic [elementary-school] shootings?

So for owners and non-owners alike.. what do you think?

-------------
A brief - but important disclaimer: I want to see what people have to say about the issue. If you're going to derail this thread with controversy over Moore's other films, please take it to another thread. Thank you. :cheers:

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!

Last edited by NorCal DC4; 07-09-2004 at 11:33 AM.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:31 PM
MeiSoSlow
WEEEEE!!!!!

Kill Them all, let god sort them out

:rick:

I agree with the prevention part. Spend the extra money and put a lock on it. Either that or spend the extra time and teach them the correct way to handle firearms.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:33 PM
v8guy
Professor

Originally Posted by MeiSoSlow
Kill Them all, let god sort them out
:rick:
Hey, thats my title!
Old 07-09-2004, 12:35 PM
Mandi

Simple. Keep your guns, but lock them up...each individually with a trigger lock and all together in one gun case or cabinet.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:37 PM
Bl@ck
Sinner

easy.. don't let your kids play with guns
Old 07-09-2004, 12:42 PM
v8guy
Professor

Originally Posted by NorCal DC4
So here's the issue / question:

[b]For a fraction of the cost of 1 box of ammunition, a child-safety latch could have prevented the .38 from coming into that 1st grader's hands...and the fatal shooting could have been averted.
What are they talking about? Trigger locks? No gun should be left where a child can find it, unless that child is old enough to know how to handle it safely. (I had a .22 and a 20ga shotgun at 14) The problem lies with people in this country somehow not being responsible for their actions. If you leave a gun lying around and your 6yo takes it to school and shoots someone with it, YOU should be held personally responsible, as it is YOUR child and YOUR gun so it is YOUR fault and YOUR ass that rots in jail for criminally negligent homicide.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:44 PM
Mandi

Originally Posted by v8guy
What are they talking about? Trigger locks? No gun should be left where a child can find it, unless that child is old enough to know how to handle it safely. (I had a .22 and a 20ga shotgun at 14) The problem lies with people in this country somehow not being responsible for their actions. If you leave a gun lying around and your 6yo takes it to school and shoots someone with it, YOU should be held personally responsible, as it is YOUR child and YOUR gun so it is YOUR fault and YOUR ass that rots in jail for criminally negligent homicide.
OK, when i was 3, my mom was married to a man who had a gun cabinet with glass doors...i couldve gotten those guns...was that lack of responsibiliy on my mom and step fathers part?
Old 07-09-2004, 12:46 PM
RB
snitches get stitches

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CiviChik97
OK, when i was 3, my mom was married to a man who had a gun cabinet with glass doors...i couldve gotten those guns...was that lack of responsibiliy on my mom and step fathers part?

if you could actually open up the cabinet by yourself, yes.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:52 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Originally Posted by /^Blackmagik^\
easy.. don't let your kids play with guns
Good. I agree. But how does one provide oversight to ensure that shootings like that Michigan incident are prevented? How do we take it beyond the level of rhetoric?

(For the life of me...I can't remember the school by name. )

BTW, nice job, everbody. Keep it up. :goodjob:

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 07-09-2004, 12:53 PM
Mandi

Originally Posted by RB
if you could actually open up the cabinet by yourself, yes.

well i dont remember whether i could or couldnt..

But, having them in a locked cabinet isnt guaranteeing anything. If a kid wants that gun bad enough and he's on a mission, like most of the school shootings, he'll break teh glass. Thats when trigger locks are needed.

And you can think that you have a gun or guns out of ur children's reach, but don't ever underestimate a child. Theyre smart. You could put it in the top cabinet above the refrigerator, and they could still get it.

oh, and v8guy...IMO, 14 is still too young to have a gun. A 14 year old shot my jr. high principle and then himself last year. Whether you're a straight A student, member of student council..whatever..you never know when somethings going to make you snap.