Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Thoughts on Responsible Gun Ownership...

Old 07-09-2004, 01:08 PM
v8guy
Professor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CiviChik97
i understand that completely..but like i said, my opinion is based on teh fact that guns scare the shit out of me. I've been around them my whole life adn have seen too many bad things happen with them...
Quite understandable. If my Jr High got shot up I would probably feel the same way. I'm sorry you had to go through such a traumatic experience.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:09 PM
Mandi

Originally Posted by v8guy
Quite understandable. If my Jr High got shot up I would probably feel the same way. I'm sorry you had to go through such a traumatic experience.

thanks, but im not talking about just my Jr. High, unfortuneatly.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:14 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Originally Posted by dliske
Oh, if it was only that simple. Some questions though...(I don't want to get into a MM debate)...How was the obtaining of the gun portrayed? Was it mentioned that it was stolen? Was it mentioned there was at least one other stolen gun in the house? Was it mentioned the shooter's family was living in a flop house where narcotics were found? Was it mentioned that one of the gun "owners" had a felony arrest warrant? I'm not asking, simply to be an ass, but those issues complicate your relatively innocuous questions.
No worries. It is a complicated issue...you're right.

According to BFC, the shooter's mother was working two full-time jobs as a part of Michigan's welfare-to-work program. The mother was bussed to and from her jobs (about a 40min commute each way) and as a result, barely saw her son at all.

She didn't even know that her son had taken the gun until after the shooting, when it was confiscated by the school principal. She simply wasn't around to prevent the gun from being taken in the first place.

When the mother lost her apartment due to failure to pay rent, they moved in with the uncle... The same evening the mother and son moved in, the son found the loaded .38 on the living room table in his uncle's apartment.

The young boy took the gun to school in his backpack, and when he later took it out to "show it off", the .38 fired, hitting a fellow first-grade student square in the chest. The victim was DOA....at six years old.

In this particular instance, with all of the known facts, I don't believe that any piece of anti-gun legislation could have prevented this particular shooting. The gun was stolen, and the owner was a criminal. The last thought on his mind was "where is the gun lock?"

Gun ownership is a huge responsibility- just like owning a swimming pool, making sure your kids are wearing seatbelts, and keeping medications and poisons out of reach. Responsible gun owners will always be...well, responsible. But, there is no law that will keep the idiots in check.
Very well said. And unfortunately, you're right. We won't be able to stop each and every last accidental shooting.. but I'd like to think there is more that we can do.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 07-09-2004, 01:19 PM
v8guy
Professor

Originally Posted by CiviChik97
thanks, but im not talking about just my Jr. High, unfortuneatly.
I'm sorry to hear that. Weapons, like most tools, can be used for both good and evil purposes. One of my ex girlfriends was rabidly anti-gun, but considering that she was raped at gunpoint, I can't really say I blame her.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:27 PM
clickwir
Floppy Death! noES!!!

I was taught at a very early age that my father had guns in the house. I was shown where they were. I was shown where all the parts and ammo was. I was taught about guns and how they can easily kill people. I feel that I was informed and taught well.

I never touched the guns nor had any desire to. I believe it was the caring and understanding parents that helped keep me and my brother and sister, from disaster.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:35 PM
brtecson
pukimonster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think that all gun manufacturers should include something like this when they sell guns. Or at least with semiauto pistols... It was included with mine

But other than that, if there is the slightest possibility that guns or ammo could be in reach of children, the guns, ammo, and/or children are in the wrong place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
gunsaftey.JPG (58.7 KB, 104 views)
Old 07-09-2004, 01:39 PM
dliske
Set a fire, go to jail!

Originally Posted by NorCal DC4
We won't be able to stop each and every last accidental shooting.. but I'd like to think there is more that we can do.
Not withstanding responsible parenting, I believe that education would have the single-biggest impact. I learned about gun safety in an elective class that I took in elementary school, so the foundation (for me) was set at an early age. I own (and work with) guns now, so I had the added responsibility of teaching my son about them. Now, he views them as nothing more than a tool...and not a source of intrigue or curiosity.

I do find it interesting about your comment about "doing more." Not to say that something shouldn't be done, but there are far more child deaths from swimming pool accidents than that of accidental shootings. (http://cgi.cse.unsw.edu.au/~lambert/...olsvsguns.html) Using the two for comparison, why have guns become the issue? I'm not looking for an answer...just asking rhetorically.

*edited*
Old 07-09-2004, 01:43 PM
v8guy
Professor

there are far more child deaths from swimming pool accidents than that of guns.
Not if you count 19 yo crack dealers like the anti-gunners do when they quote their BS statistics. They count anyone under 21 as a child and play like they are all elementary school kids.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:49 PM
dliske
Set a fire, go to jail!

Originally Posted by v8guy
Not if you count 19 yo crack dealers like the anti-gunners do when they quote their BS statistics. They count anyone under 21 as a child and play like they are all elementary school kids.
Good point...you got me to fix my post...should have read "accidental shootings."
Old 07-09-2004, 02:18 PM
benjamin
Stuff and things.

You can defend gun ownership as a priviledge, but it is not a right. Read the second amendment and try to understand the context in which it was drafted. There was no police force nor a national or state military. The amendment begins "A well regulated militia." Does that not bring to mind uniforms and drills and a military code of conduct?

Remember that woman who shot and killed a kid driving her stolen car a few weeks ago as he tried to drive away from her? What punishment would the uniform code of military justice required?

Arguing that there should be a priviledge extended to citizens who want to bear regulated arms is perfectly legitimate and reasonable, but building that argument on the second amendment doesn't make any sense. It is an untenable position.

http://www.archives.gov/national_arc...ranscript.html