Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

Its been 10 years...

Old 04-29-2004, 06:57 PM
axemansean

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Its been 10 years...

Today, April 30th, 2004 marks the 10 year anniversary of the death of Roland Ratzenberger during practice at Imola. Tomorrow, May 1 is the 10 year anniversary of Ayrton Senna who died during the race at Imola. This weekend is possibly the darkest one in motorsport history. May their souls rest in peace.

Signature left out of respect.

10 greatest Senna moments...

http://www.planetf1.com/Features/Edi...ry_15313.shtml
Old 04-29-2004, 07:46 PM
More&Faster

:wtc:
Old 05-01-2004, 06:04 AM
axemansean

For anyone else who wants to pay there respect to Senna go to www.senna.tv their is a tribute book that will be printed and bound and given to Senna's sister at the Brazilian GP.

His 3 championships were with the McLaren - Honda team which makes it that much more tragic because since then Honda hasn't done so well until the San Marino (Imola) GP this year when Jenson Button driving a BAR - Honda took the pole. The last time before that a Honda was on the pole was in the hands of Senna.
Old 05-01-2004, 06:45 AM
Sadiztik-R
Kittie Pr0n

People Die

Old 05-01-2004, 05:41 PM
VTEC

But not all people live.
Old 05-01-2004, 05:42 PM
VTEC

My friend emailed me this...he got it from a racing forum.

As we approach the 10th anniversary of the death of Ayrton Senna, I thought I would share a moment that still causes me to shake my head to this day.

In 1990 I was in Montreal for the GP, working with a team in one of the supporting events. Our race was scheduled for Saturday afternoon immediately after F1 Qualifying. I rode a 4-wheeler on the access road that runs along the Olympic Rowing Basin beside the track on the way to pit lane, and decided to stop at the final chicane and take in the final minutes of F1 Qualifying.

In those days the final chicane was much more open than today and was extremely fast. I stood up on the handlebars of the four wheeler so I could just barely peek over the top of the catch fencing right at the turn-in point for the chicane. There aren't many places in the F1 world where you can get that close to cars running at top speed.

It's the final few minutes of qualifying, and here come the greatest drivers in the world - Prost, Mansell, Piquet, Senna - and everyone is braking and changing down one gear from top gear right under my nose.

In the final minute, Senna approaches the corner and I hear a slight lift, maybe a bit of left foot braking, but no downchange. He smokes through the chicane and I hear the announcer say he's taken pole by a half second over Prost. After he passes, the checkered flag comes out and he's the last car on the track. Here he comes again, but this time there's no change in engine note at all as he absolutely flies through the chicane completely flat out, taking pole by over a second.

Here are the greatest drivers in the world, and all but one are changing down a gear for the corner. And that one driver manages to streak through that chicane not only without a downshift, but with his amazing foot flat to the floor at something close to 200mph.

Needless to say I was stunned, but totally unprepared for what was to come next. A few minutes later I was walking on the sidewalk behind the F1 pits on the way to the support race grid, and out of the Goodyear tent pops Senna, headed straight for me on the narrow sidewalk.

As we passed, I managed to stammer out a "great lap" comment. Senna stopped, grunted "thanks", then looked at me for a moment as if trying to remember me. A wry smile came over his face and he said the words I will never forget -

"You're the guy looking over the fence."

He grinned, knowing he had just blown my mind, turned and walked off.
Old 05-01-2004, 07:09 PM
axemansean

The F1 decade replay of the fateful race is on and I can't watch it because of the appalling coverage Speed has done. They showed it a month back and it really saddened me that they couldn't find it in their heart to make it commercial free. Yes commercials is money but atleast let those of us that never saw the race live find closure.
Old 05-01-2004, 11:48 PM
evolution
早晨好, 先生們!™ 粉腸+ 春袋

great story vtec