Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

4 years of university + getting student loans to pay for everything = good idea?

Old 10-30-2003, 11:28 AM
gababa
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 years of university + getting student loans to pay for everything = good idea?

ive come to the conclusion that having a job right now is interfering with studies. is it possible to get student loans and have no interest for 4 years? i know you can somehow get no interest, maybe not for 4 years though. but i would rather wait till i get my degree, then work to pay off any debt. suggestions?
Old 10-30-2003, 11:35 AM
Just Janna
Cake or Death?

I think that's how it works... you don't have to pay until you're out of school for 6 months
I think intrest builds though.
Old 10-30-2003, 11:36 AM
gababa
Banned

Originally posted by EriksShadow
I think that's how it works... you don't have to pay until you're out of school for 6 months
I think intrest builds though.
will student loans pay for things like food, housing, car insurance, etc?
Old 10-30-2003, 11:37 AM
reech-around
RIP Woong.

can u try working part time during school? just to alleviate expenses like food, gas, going out, etc
Old 10-30-2003, 11:38 AM
Tirod

they will if yer in a dorm i believe.. and with that you should be able to walk to school.. or ride a bike so no need to for insurance.. food i dunno :thinking:
Old 10-30-2003, 11:39 AM
gababa
Banned

Originally posted by rich
can u try working part time during school? just to alleviate expenses like food, gas, going out, etc
if i could find something flexible enough for me. but so far, i haven't been able to find much. right now im getting too many hours and im constantly having to change shifts because i have some evening classes
Old 10-30-2003, 11:40 AM
gababa
Banned

well, actually right now im living with my parents. but once i transfer to a different school, which i will have to do at the end of 2 years, i'll be on my own
Old 10-30-2003, 11:44 AM
flipped cracka
BOOM goes the dynamite!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

school loans suck.
Old 10-30-2003, 11:53 AM
Just Janna
Cake or Death?

Food and housing.. yes... maybe..
I don't know if they pay for the extra stuff... :dunno:

Plus it all depends on your parents income... and if you're a dependent.
You're considered a dependent until you're 23 years old. :screwy: So.. I went to school when I was 18-19.. didn't get a lot... because my mom made decent cash... but.. still not enough to send me to school.
Dropped out.. went back when I turned 23..... but.. still.. wasn't getting a lot because I didn't make the cut off date for that year. :rant:
Now I transfered to a new school... and got a very generous student loan ... cause it's all me now. But it goes straight to the school... I didn't see any of it. h:
That's probably a good thing.. knowing me.
Old 10-30-2003, 01:05 PM
Dweezel
d@weezel music

Here is my situation:

Grants and Scholarships give me roughly $14k (for a $30k/yr school). Have some Stafford loands which are subsidized by the govt and do not accrue interest. The rest comes from Sallie Mae which builds interest from when they are paid out, but you do not have to pay anything on them until you are 6 months out of college. Say you live on campus and need $10k to cover all your billed costs (room, board, fees, meal plan, etc) you can apply for $15k and use the surplus to cover your books, other food, etc...basically supplement the non university billed costs. I think it has to be within a reasonable amount. The university I go to gives me an "estimated yearly cost" which includes all the excess stuff which I base how much I apply for off of. I hope this helped.