Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

So my Orthopedic Surgeon says..

Old 02-05-2004, 09:06 PM
RSXxXMeg82
~*~Meg~*~

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So my Orthopedic Surgeon says..

that I need surgery :happysad: I need a lateral release..."Lateral release is performed when the patella becomes misaligned and does not track properly. Tightness in the lateral retinaculum, a tissue in the knee similar to rawhide, usually causes this condition. Some patients have a genetic predisposition to retinacular tightness and laterally riding patellae. When the patellae are injured in this way, the retinaculum shrinks and gets tough, which causes the kneecap to fall off track. Lateral release involves cutting the tight lateral ligaments to allow for normal tracking of the patella.
Recovery
The patient will need to use crutches for at least five days after surgery. To ensure speedy recovery, rest is required. Activity should be limited to light household activities for the first five days. After this period, movement can be gradually increased according to doctor’s orders.

Soon after surgery, the patient begins a period of instense physical therapy that usually lasts 12 to 16 weeks, depending on individual progress. Most patients can resume normal activities at this time, although complete recovery takes six months to one year.

I have to get an MRI in 2 wks because the doctor believes that all of the constant pain that I'm feeling is due to pieces of cartilidge that have torn off and are floating around in my knee. The doctor wants to make sure there isn't going to be anymore surprises in my knee..lol. I'm scared h: I've never had surgery or been under anesthetic.
Old 02-05-2004, 09:10 PM
lil_1_2002

sucks to hear babe, hope all goes well i'm sure you'll be fine, surgurery will be fine just make sure you count to 10 backwards and you'll be out by 7.
Old 02-05-2004, 09:10 PM
RSXxXMeg82
~*~Meg~*~

I keep reading up on the surgery procedure and the recovery..my mom keeps telling me to stop reading it all..lol cuz it's scaring me...from all that I've found it's a b!tch to recover from eventhough it's arthroscopic. LIke intense physical Therapy 3-4 times a week for 2-3 months :jawdrop: I've also read that a lot of people who have had this done take 2-3 wks before they can even bend their knee to a 90 degree angle or flex their Quad muscles. :happysad:
Old 02-05-2004, 09:13 PM
lil_1_2002

yea, i had surgery on my legs about uhh 7-8 years ago i think...i head heal exensions or cord release because my MD made it so the ligaments got tight and tight so i ended up walkin on my tipe toes, and yea i couldnt walk for about 2-3 weeks and then i had to go to PT.
Old 02-05-2004, 09:16 PM
Civic2Scooby

Originally Posted by RSXxXMeg82
that I need surgery :happysad: I need a lateral release..."Lateral release is performed when the patella becomes misaligned and does not track properly. Tightness in the lateral retinaculum, a tissue in the knee similar to rawhide, usually causes this condition. Some patients have a genetic predisposition to retinacular tightness and laterally riding patellae. When the patellae are injured in this way, the retinaculum shrinks and gets tough, which causes the kneecap to fall off track. Lateral release involves cutting the tight lateral ligaments to allow for normal tracking of the patella.
Recovery
The patient will need to use crutches for at least five days after surgery. To ensure speedy recovery, rest is required. Activity should be limited to light household activities for the first five days. After this period, movement can be gradually increased according to doctor’s orders.

Soon after surgery, the patient begins a period of instense physical therapy that usually lasts 12 to 16 weeks, depending on individual progress. Most patients can resume normal activities at this time, although complete recovery takes six months to one year.

I have to get an MRI in 2 wks because the doctor believes that all of the constant pain that I'm feeling is due to pieces of cartilidge that have torn off and are floating around in my knee. The doctor wants to make sure there isn't going to be anymore surprises in my knee..lol. I'm scared h: I've never had surgery or been under anesthetic.
I had the same surgery...it isnt all that bad...physical therepay is the sucks though. Don't even stress it, you have a lil pain after all is said and done but they give you some very nice "helpers" to deal with it.... :kiss:
Old 02-05-2004, 09:18 PM
RSXxXMeg82
~*~Meg~*~

Originally Posted by b16aEGcivic
I had the same surgery...it isnt all that bad...physical therepay is the sucks though. Don't even stress it, you have a lil pain after all is said and done but they give you some very nice "helpers" to deal with it.... :kiss:
Phew...it's nice to hear someone who had it say it's not that bad..all I seemed to find was the bad stuff..LOL and it was freaking me out...I couldn't see how an arthroscopic surgery could be all that bad. :thumbup: to the "helpers" hehe
Old 02-05-2004, 09:23 PM
Civic2Scooby

Originally Posted by RSXxXMeg82
Phew...it's nice to hear someone who had it say it's not that bad..all I seemed to find was the bad stuff..LOL and it was freaking me out...I couldn't see how an arthroscopic surgery could be all that bad. :thumbup: to the "helpers" hehe
yeah I did the same thing...looking up every possible thing that could suck about it, but after it happens I am not gonna lie it hurts quite a bit, but nothing you cant deal with. The part I hated the most was physical therepy because it prob. hurts more than the surgery itself...it is like trying to retrain what you learned when you were two and started walking....but I am glad I had it done....twice...well one for what you are going into and the other for some other shit from football where I tore every ligament in my right knee and split my knee cap into four peices...now that one...I wouldnt be so kind to lend a nice recomendation....prob the worst YEAR of my life.
Old 02-05-2004, 09:27 PM
93HybridCX
Beast from the East

:happysad: That sucks but atleast your pain will be gone.
Old 02-05-2004, 09:28 PM
Civic2Scooby

Originally Posted by 93HybridCX
:happysad: That sucks but atleast your pain will be gone.
:angry: :thinking: :drunk:
Old 02-05-2004, 09:34 PM
LocaL raCer
R.I.P. Kato-san

best wishes to you.

you'll do fine. :thumbup: