Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

What's everyone doing career wise in 2014-2015?

Old 04-11-2016, 11:36 AM
Derek
you motorboatin' s.o.b.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Left old job and now an Account Exec for a manufacturer/solutions provider.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:39 AM
spanky
I go duffy on dem bitches

1 week into my new job and it's going great :coold:
Old 04-17-2016, 06:38 PM
DarkStarr
Shake n Bake!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zackk
I'm ready to live somewhere warm again. :hs:

And we absolutely love the CX-5. AWD, and 27-28mpg observed. Interior is fantastic, has all the bells and whistles we'll need in the near future (bluetooth, back up camera, blind spot detection etc). And it's got a lifetime​ powertrain warranty.
Might be enough to get me away from my Jeep GC. I would much prefer that MPG over my 16-17..

and that warranty? Yeah my powertrain warranty was apparently up last October. Transfer case leak wasn't covered
Old 04-29-2016, 05:57 AM
Zackk

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RicoD
My brother in law is a bariatric robotic surgeon, he just finished his residency... dude went from OK pay to ridiculously. Good luck with your exam man, shit seems extremely long, stressful, and drawn out, but well worth it if you love what you do and you get paid the bucks for it.
Surgeons bring home the loot. They also tend to not really have too much time outside of work, *generally speaking*.

It's not unusual for your pay to quadruple over night when you finish your residency and become a fully licensed MD/DO. In the case of your brother in law, he probably multiplied his residency pay 6x or more.

When people look at the pay physicians make they're blown away. And yeah, I get it, it's an absolute shitload of money. There's no question. What people don't realize is how much we pay (both in time and money) to get there. I won't be a licensed doc until I'm 32 at the earliest. And I started young. My wife is in school with me, and our medical degrees will cost us $300k each. That puts a lot of pressure on you to specialize so you make more money.

Either way, I'll be happy with whatever field I end up going into. It's very easy to get beat up in this process and forget why you're here. I've been studying 14 hours a day for the past 2 weeks (and will for the next 5 weeks) to sit for one 8 hour exam that fully dictates what residencies will be an option for me. These first two years of medical school have taken 5 years off my life in stress and sleep deprivation. I really didn't know what I was getting myself into as a 22 year old applying to school. Most don't. It really beats you up. I'm glad I am where I am, and I'd do it again if given the option, I think. But maybe not.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:24 PM
Spec R

Dont forget that half your check goes to malpractice insurance or whatever crazy amount it is
Old 04-30-2016, 11:38 AM
Zackk

Originally Posted by Spec R
Dont forget that half your check goes to malpractice insurance or whatever crazy amount it is
It's really dependent on your work setting. If you work for a hospital or a large health system they will almost certainly pay your malpractice insurance. Of course you get compensated less, but the stuff you hear on TV when the MD/DO says they pay $2000 a month for malpractice isn't a reality, unless they're an OB/GYN or neurosurgeon in private practice or something.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:23 AM
Zackk

Update:

In my last year of medical school, graduate next May. I'm applying for residency in Anesthesiology (Tulane be good to me bby) and my wife is applying for Pediatrics. Last licensing exam is next month. Everyone takes it easy on you as a 4th year, I go home from the hospital at basically noon every day. Going to have to pull out an additional 10k loan just to use for residency applications. It's such a broken fucking process. I'll find out where I'm going to do residency in March, then it's basically a vacation until July when the shit basically starts over and I'm an intern working 100 hour weeks.
Old 07-22-2017, 02:18 PM
fathergoat
:3

Been 19 years at the same place. Not sure I'll hit 20 :/ Management is so incompetent that it's become cliche. Higher more people to have meetings, layoff people who make product, and shit all over the ones that are left. I just hope the severance is decent.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:34 AM
NOPD
Come in My Hole

Originally Posted by Zackk
Update:

In my last year of medical school, graduate next May. I'm applying for residency in Anesthesiology (Tulane be good to me bby) and my wife is applying for Pediatrics. Last licensing exam is next month. Everyone takes it easy on you as a 4th year, I go home from the hospital at basically noon every day. Going to have to pull out an additional 10k loan just to use for residency applications. It's such a broken fucking process. I'll find out where I'm going to do residency in March, then it's basically a vacation until July when the shit basically starts over and I'm an intern working 100 hour weeks.
Where is the like button
Old 08-08-2017, 12:57 PM
c_rogue69
wtf goes here?

Forgot to update my post from 2015, but I finally left the Police Department in September of 2015. I've been working for an MSP IT Company for the last nearly 2 years. Looking to make another change, same field, but bigger company. I'd like some room for growth.

Quick Reply: What's everyone doing career wise in 2014-2015?