Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

GameCube Outselling PS2 and Xbox in America

Old 12-02-2003, 06:30 PM
SmOkIneLf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GameCube Outselling PS2 and Xbox in America

Combines with Game Boy Advance to Sell More Than 1 Million Systems During Thanksgiving Week

REDMOND, Wash., Dec. 2, 2003 – After rocketing up the charts the past several weeks, the Nintendo GameCube™ has now reached No. 1 – it's America's top-selling home video game console, according to direct sales data from the nation's leading retailers. Nintendo GameCube sold more than half a million systems to consumers during Thanksgiving week, easily surpassing its console competitors. Among all game devices, it trailed only Nintendo's portable Game Boy® Advance, which sold almost 600,000 units to U.S. buyers during the week.

"All along, our business plan for this year was to maximize consumer interest and sales during the fourth quarter," says George Harrison, Nintendo of America's senior vice president of marketing and corporate communications. "But frankly, we're overwhelmed by how successful we've been. Our price cut of Nintendo GameCube has ignited sales to the degree that it may turn out to be the best-selling console for the entire month of November. We're tracking to sell more systems in the last eight weeks of the year than we did in the previous 10 months combined."

Nintendo GameCube went from No. 3 to No. 1 in just two months, evidence that the Sept. 25 price drop to an MSRP of $99.99 and the hot new games were just what the public wanted. The library of games available for Nintendo GameCube now stands at more than 320, including America's current hottest game, Mario Kart®: Double Dash™ exclusively for Nintendo GameCube, role-playing and sports games, Pokémon titles for younger players and action and racing games for adults.

Numerous new and upcoming releases that will keep the momentum going include 1080°®: Avalanche, a shred-'em-up snowboarding game; Mario Party® 5, the ultimate party game; F-Zero® GX, the fastest racing game on the market; Mario Golf™: Toadstool Tour, a golf game that appeals equally to novices and experts; Pokémon Channel™, the first-ever Pokémon game available for Nintendo GameCube; and Final Fantasy®: Crystal Chronicles™, an upcoming role-playing game that continues the hit franchise.
Old 12-02-2003, 06:35 PM
k3ifers
k three ifers

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

i just bought mine :thumbup:... america grew up on nintendo
Old 12-02-2003, 06:51 PM
HPrelude5

Thats crazy, but understandable I guess. Both the PS2 and Xbox or 80 more bucks. I still dont think it has too many good games though.
Old 12-02-2003, 07:21 PM
Black2KGSR

Are people finally seeing the light?!
Old 12-02-2003, 07:38 PM
aux
More Black on Black Crime

i need to pickup a ps2
Old 12-02-2003, 07:39 PM
civic2k2grl

its cuz the gamecube is cheap as shit and becuz eb is lettng you trade in a ps1, dreamcast, or n64 and 7 games and you can get it for $50..... thats why sales have increased
Old 12-02-2003, 08:02 PM
DelSolSIinMD
Le Grand Illusion

Eh, I'm still a diehard PS2 man. I like Halo a lot, though.
Old 12-02-2003, 08:13 PM
Patman015
Gold Member

ive always stuck with nintendo, and while the games have decreased in quality (now that RARE was sold to XboX...my conker's gone!), the nintendo milestones really keep it going. I think nintendo is great for those who have great imaginations, but reality games, like GTA (well, more or less realistic than mario...) really deserve as much credit too!
Old 12-02-2003, 08:14 PM
mayonaise

gamecube is a superior system, in terms of game play. it's faster and the graphics are better. yes, the graphics are better - the chipset is newer and more competent..
right now one drawback is not being able to play full-size discs in it, so it can't double as a DVD player. but the biggest problem with the gamecube is the game selection.. PS2 definately dominates completely in that sense, and it'd be extremely hard to take over the market..... unfortunately. i alwas liked nintendo better. i just hope nintendo can save their handheld market after sony releases the PSP
Old 12-02-2003, 08:15 PM
Black2KGSR

Originally posted by Patman015
ive always stuck with nintendo, and while the games have decreased in quality (now that RARE was sold to XboX...my conker's gone!), the nintendo milestones really keep it going. I think nintendo is great for those who have great imaginations, but reality games, like GTA (well, more or less realistic than mario...) really deserve as much credit too!
I think Nintendo makes the best games. Most of the games on PS2 suck.