Notices
The Basement Non-Honda/Acura discussion. Content should be tasteful and "primetime" safe.

What is the best car you ever owned?

Old 05-16-2013, 08:08 AM
LABARINTH
Better Than Canada!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the best car you ever owned?

As the title says.

For me it was my 2004 STi. It was a great daily driver, pretty fast, and tore shit up in the winter. My Cayman S was fun also but I really couldn't afford it so I was afraid to drive it.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:03 AM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

76 Pontiac Catalina 4door with 400ci engine

No joke, that thing sat 7 and carried a dozen boards and all gear for 3 years on trips all across the NW, never broke down and never lost traction even in the shittiest conditions.

*edit* And I paid $400 for it back in 94
Old 05-16-2013, 10:08 AM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

I've owned a few pieces of shit, but my 2000 Accord (EX, V6) lasted 10+ years, didn't have a mechanical problem, and pulled a trade-in value of 7K.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:23 PM
Draconius
BAZINGA!

My MS3. Great power, great features, space for my needs!

It's cons for me:
-no sunroof
-no roofrack
-$450/mon (loan/insurance)
-pricey wheels
Old 05-16-2013, 04:56 PM
k3ifers
k three ifers

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

i've owned three cars.

1) 97 cavalier - coupe, black, 5 speed... dope car in high school.
2) 00 cavalier - sedan, white, automatic... old woman's car.
3) 02 accord - sedan, silver, automatic... best car ever. i figure i'll need a new car soon, it's at 175k-ish miles, but i keep planning as if i'll keep it as a second car. i really don't want to get rid of it. my parent's bought it brand new in 02.

next car... wrx? legacy? accord?
Old 05-16-2013, 07:34 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

the current one. it's only the second car i've ever owned. even with all the headaches.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:22 AM
marvinp8700
if the price is fair

Still pimpin my 94 corolla for longer trips and it pushing 300k. Thing fires up every time and gets me where I'm going.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:01 AM
NOPD
Come in My Hole

2009 mercedes c63. No problems at all 45k miles. The exhaust note is just sex and it's a fun daily driver. Just taillights went out, but got fixed under warranty.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:19 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

<Warning: long-winded meandering diatribe imminent.>
They've all been good to me, in one way or another. I don't switch cars anywhere near as often as you guys do... h:

For the pre-VTEC late eighties, the Golf GTI was a great first car. It was easy to wrench on, it was easily tuned up and most importantly, it was a simple machine with all the basics done well. I did a lot of hard driving back then and it took the worst punishment in stride.

After that, I had custody of a friend's Suzuki Swift GTI 1.3 for a summer. It only had 100 hp, but in such a light car (1900 lbs±) it felt fantastic. I was all set to buy a V8 dreadnought, seeing that gas was still under $2 a gallon, but it was the Suzuki that reminded me what fun a slow car can be in the right context.

That lead me to the Integra. I came here with plans to build it out like I did the Golf, if not more so. Yet with college, the recession and all sorts of other bullshit (CA smog first and foremost), I never got further than suspension, final drive and bolt-ons. No regrets, however. It was still a spectacular car... direct steering, precise shifting and light weight. Acura would be in much better shape if they had built on the Integra's strengths. After 16 years (12 of them in my hands) and nearly 250,000 miles, that car still put a smile on my face... when not getting beaten by a Toyota Sienna. h:

By 2011 though, the years had begun to show. The ABS accumulator died suddenly, causing the pump to fart at random and the clear coat was starting to haze. Later that year, I got an $5K cash offer for the Integra as-is; I couldn't pass it up. I bought an NB Miata thinking I'd be happy with 140 hp again. But with the all the pricks in M-series BMWs and Cayenne Turbos around here, I was fed up with losing the Grand Prix du Stoplight and getting skunked on every single goddamn merge. :a:

So I did the wisest thing possible in the era of Obama energy policies, looming inflation, peak oil and $4/gal gasoline... and bought that V8 dreadnought.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]84393[/ATTACH]
It hasn't been as practical as the Acura, or as simple as the VW. But it has been gloriously self-indulgent, which is precisely the point. Someday, we'll all be consigned to drive disgusting contraptions like the Leaf and other glorified golf carts. But they'll have to pry the keys to this Ford from my cold dead hands.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0122.jpg (446.2 KB, 14 views)

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 05-18-2013, 05:32 AM
Dweezel
d@weezel music

When I was in college, I had a 2002 Ford Focus SVT. At the time I was living in Philadelphia, and the size of the car was perfect for city driving. Although you had to wind it up to really wring the power out of it, it was a blast to drive. Had a separate set of snow wheels too, which made it almost practical during the winter. It was also a hatchback, and I could move just about anything -- from televisions to ice luges for parties. It was the perfect car for me at the time. I sold the Focus when I graduated, and spent four years relying on public transportation, car share services, and the kindness of my friends.

When I moved to Florida, it was time for me to get another car and I started leasing Acura TLs. It has enough power to avoid the terrible drivers, and has the size and safety features to keep me protected if one of those bad drivers hits me.