Notices

Most HP out of a Prelude

Old 02-05-2004, 11:48 AM
PlayboyDee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Most HP out of a Prelude

Was just curious, but what is the max HP anyone has ever seen or heard on a 5th gen prelude?
Old 02-05-2004, 12:01 PM
ludeconduct8

ive heard around 700 was close to max on h22a blocks
Old 02-05-2004, 04:53 PM
StreetAssassin

papadakis ran like high 7s with the 22. IMO h22's when BUILT are the most powerful of the honda i4's. my buddy has about 550 in his 5th. and that rage civic with the h22 makes 650 boost, and 725 boost/nos, and its a STREET car. all the b series guys hate the h22, but i swear by them. whats horsepower without torque.
Old 02-05-2004, 11:02 PM
monkey

Originally Posted by StreetAssassin
whats horsepower without torque.
oh about 8000 rpm.

and 2.2L I4's are nice, but you do realize that the SVT guys are laughing at you for saying that right?
Old 02-06-2004, 09:47 AM
StreetAssassin

First, i have no clue what a ford ****us svt guy is doing on the honda tech website, they can laugh all they want, and im not comparing honda Tq to othrs Tq, but the H22 has the most torque potential of most honda motors. and about the 8000 rpms, i would much rather have lests say a 350hp powerband of 3000-8000 rpms, instead of a 400+ hp powerband at 7500-9000+ rpm. maybe im just getting worked up, but i would rather have a quick car than a fast car, at least for the street, because if you are constantly redlining your car at 8000+ you either dont know how to drive, or feel that you are vulnerabe if you dont rev that high. i dont care if the svt has 500 hp out of the box, FORD IS FORD, and the srt4 neon, hahaha, rally damn fast, STILL A 4 DOOR NEON!!!!!!!!!! let them say what they want.
Old 02-06-2004, 10:24 AM
ludeboom

First, i have no clue what a ford ****us svt guy is doing on the honda tech website, they can laugh all they want, and im not comparing honda Tq to othrs Tq, but the H22 has the most torque potential of most honda motors. and about the 8000 rpms, i would much rather have lests say a 350hp powerband of 3000-8000 rpms, instead of a 400+ hp powerband at 7500-9000+ rpm. maybe im just getting worked up, but i would rather have a quick car than a fast car, at least for the street, because if you are constantly redlining your car at 8000+ you either dont know how to drive, or feel that you are vulnerabe if you dont rev that high. i dont care if the svt has 500 hp out of the box, FORD IS FORD, and the srt4 neon, hahaha, rally damn fast, STILL A 4 DOOR NEON!!!!!!!!!! let them say what they want.
most B series guys and anti h22 guys have a slew of reasons why B is for Better.
common responses:
the h22a is too heavy so you have more weight to move
the h22a has a weak crank
the h22a is closed deck
the h22a has weak ringlands

honestly for the price of an h22 longblock, IMO youd be a fool to go to a B series motor if you are money-minded.
and of course my favorite part is also the TQ
having the H22a1 USDM in my 4G lude is great, even with stock exhaust and only I/H i murder civic si's, gsr's, rx-8's, basically most other imports on the road.

now think about the h22 in a civic thats 400 lbs lighter or even a 2100 pound CRX
thats where the TQ matters

~boom
Old 02-06-2004, 10:28 AM
Rezza
Tell your mom I said hi!

Originally Posted by ludeboom
most B series guys and anti h22 guys have a slew of reasons why B is for Better.
common responses:
the h22a is too heavy so you have more weight to move
the h22a has a weak crank
the h22a is closed deck
the h22a has weak ringlands

honestly for the price of an h22 longblock, IMO youd be a fool to go to a B series motor if you are money-minded.
and of course my favorite part is also the TQ
having the H22a1 USDM in my 4G lude is great, even with stock exhaust and only I/H i murder civic si's, gsr's, rx-8's, basically most other imports on the road.

now think about the h22 in a civic thats 400 lbs lighter or even a 2100 pound CRX
thats where the TQ matters

~boom
:werd: h22 in a 4g lude OWNS...trust us...
I'd take a h series engine in a civic over a b anyday...unless i was auto Xing
ONCE AGAIN, BOOMER TELLS IT HOW IT IS
Old 02-06-2004, 10:56 AM
StreetAssassin

True about the STOCK H22 not being very strong when being boosted, but, when sleeved and built, very powerful. The people that DONT have and H series swap in their civic, hate it, but the people that DO love it. Ahhh the ongoing battle between B and H continues. Still though, i would rather have a prelude with the same power as a civic even though it weighs mor, because they handle like a dream, and a Much more uncommon tha civics and teg. i always get the remark " What kind of honda is that?", and that never happens in a civic. just my 2 cents.
Old 02-06-2004, 12:13 PM
monkey

um, first of all i don't own a ford. second of all, i wouldn't mind owning a ford. third point is that yes compared to HONDA engines the H22 is "torquey" but in the grander scheme of things, which is what one thinks about when they say "who needs HP when you can have torque", it makes me chuckle. 153 ft lbs of torque? this is something to brag about amongst "car guys?" last point is, HP is a function of torque, so your original statement doesn't make all that much sense.

i'm not sure you've ever driven your car in a race-type environment, but chances are if you have an H22 and have taken it out for some open laps, you've never dipped below 5000 rpm. you take that f'in throttle and you mash it till you're bouncing off the rev limiter and then you shift right into vtec at 5200 and do it all over again. my point is, your engine, my engine, is meant to be driven way up top from 5000-7600 rpm, and if you're trying to squeeze "low end torque" out of it or you're stuck in 3rd gear @ 3500rpm wishing you could accelerate faster, it probably means you ought to downshift.

sure i'd love a wider powerband in my car. that's all fine and dandy, but knowing how to drive a particular car means that you know how to compensate for its particular weaknesses. in this case, as is the case for most small displacement NA cars, you keep those rev's up and you pin that tach at redline.
Old 02-06-2004, 01:26 PM
ludeboom

Originally Posted by monkey
oh about 8000 rpm.

and 2.2L I4's are nice, but you do realize that the SVT guys are laughing at you for saying that right?
well the ford and GM guys were laughing 12 years ago, at the non-bearing cam caps that honda began using back in the h22a's conception days. Ford and GM's answer to that technology was "it wont last" assuming that aluminum caps with no bearings directly contacting the cam bearing surface's at 15'000 rpms was going to fail. meanwhile even the older DOHC VTEC breed is lasting longer than most late model fords on the road today.

so the dumbestic guys can laugh but remember that honda has chosen not to be limited to a V8 for serious power, and they are still at least keeping up if not beating the dumbestic crowd.

regardless of HP or TQ numbers, the real deciding factor would be the Power to Weight ratio.

an h22 civic with "only 153 ft/lbs" would be spanking a newer GT or camaro with 300 something ft/lbs.

Quick Reply: Most HP out of a Prelude