Notices

RSX-S or GS-R???

Old 12-17-2003, 11:38 AM
zrock-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RSX-S or GS-R???

Hey, I'm buying a new car within the next week and I've narrowed my choices down to a RSX-S or a GS-R. I want the RSX-S a bit more then I do the GS-R but I figure that the GS-R is not much slower,still looks good and I could save some dough. Thoughts from owners of either of these cars would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-17-2003, 04:07 PM
honda_pilot
DeeCeeFo'

You are correct in your assumptions. The GSR is not much if at all slower. Depends really on the driver. With equal drivers the RSX-S will be slightly faster. You will save yourself money on buying the GSR, money you'd be able to if you wanted throw right into mods. Insurance may be slightly less on the GSR but probably not a noticable difference. The GSR can look very very good and tasteful, but that goes to say for both.

Since you are posting this in the RSX forum I'm sure you're ready to hear biased opinions, and so is mine. I personally thing the RSX looks better from factory than the GSR, but both can be made to look incredibly good in their own respects and attributes.
The RSX offers the new k-series engine, which by the way is the wave of the future as far as Hondas go. It responds amazingly well to bolt-ons, and has .2L more displacement equaling a noticeably torquier engine and throttle response.

You asked for opinions and so you have it. My $.02
It comes down to your personaly goals and plans for the chassis. Let us know what went down and oh...

welcome to the boards.
Old 12-17-2003, 04:38 PM
THEOLDMAN
Checking it twice

I have had both. We traded a 96 GSR for a 99 GSR and traded the 99 in for the RSXtypeS. It's a flip of coin. If you need to spend less money then get the GSR, if not go for the RSX-s. The RSX-s is a much more refined car, and not as whiney as the GSR, revs about 500-600 rpm less at 80 mph cruising along the highway.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ...."WOW! What a ride!!!!!"

LUNCH with THEOLDMAN...On a break for now...
Old 12-17-2003, 08:08 PM
Import-Tooner
skoooooie!

I have also owned both and the rsx is the way to go. insurance was about the same too.

SKOOIE!!!
Old 12-18-2003, 12:06 AM
aphex
driftin'

... FYI: RSX-S competes with the Type-R... not the GS-R.

My buddys RSX-S which i ****in love will rape my GS-R, they run like 14.8-14.9's stock, whereas GS-R's run 15.3-15.5 stock
Old 12-18-2003, 08:08 AM
Import-Tooner
skoooooie!

Maybe get a used base rsx and swap the motor for a jdm k20 ITR motor.

BTW, I saw a 2002 white type-s on honda-tech for $16,500. That's a way good price considering I traded mine in for $19,700

SKOOIE!!!
Old 12-18-2003, 05:20 PM
RB
snitches get stitches

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by aphex
... FYI: RSX-S competes with the Type-R... not the GS-R.

My buddys RSX-S which i ****in love will rape my GS-R, they run like 14.8-14.9's stock, whereas GS-R's run 15.3-15.5 stock

The RSX-S is the replacement for the GSR, so what makes you think that they compete with Type-R's? A friend of mine ran a 14.9 in his GSR with just the rear seats removed...And THAT hang in there with an RSX-S.

comparing the RSX-S to the ITR is all opinion based. you don't compare two cars based soley on what they run in the quarter mile.
Old 12-18-2003, 06:50 PM
zrock-

Hey all, bought the RSX-S yesterday for $17,700, 44K. Out driving it today and all i gotta say is hooooooooooly god (My previous car was a 99 Civic EX to show u where im coming from).
Old 12-18-2003, 08:31 PM
Tobra

If you are going to do a swap, do a 2.4 with an R head, then you get the displacement and the trick head, and I am pretty sure there is a K series 2.4 in the TSX. People talk all the time how the integra has the upper and lower wishbones, but Porsche and BMW run all strut front suspension I believe
Old 12-18-2003, 09:03 PM
aphex
driftin'

Originally posted by RB
The RSX-S is the replacement for the GSR, so what makes you think that they compete with Type-R's? A friend of mine ran a 14.9 in his GSR with just the rear seats removed...And THAT hang in there with an RSX-S.

comparing the RSX-S to the ITR is all opinion based. you don't compare two cars based soley on what they run in the quarter mile.
I was gonna try to argue back saying thats not what i meant.. but after re-reading my post, it definitally looks like that. Still, you have to admit, the RSX S is closer to USDM Integra R's performance than USDM GS-R performance.

And i loved my GS-R, but honestly, Car and Driver and other major magazines never ran better than 15.5's in it, and my friends RSX S just seems a lot quicker and suspension seems much better as well. Thats all i meant. Couple years from now if they dont release a USDM RSX [integra] Type R i may buy a Type S.