Notices

What does an airbag cost?

Old 09-11-2003, 10:27 PM
qoheleth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does an airbag cost?

I may be purchasing an S2000 steering wheel sans airbag for my Lude and am wondering what the cheapest way to acquire one might be. I know better than to call the local dealerships since I will assuredly pay 3 prices for one there (maybe I get their price and divide by three?). Their are numerous online sites to get discounted OEM parts, but haven't found a single one that lists the S2000 airbag module--and since I am into instant gratification I can't be bothered to call or e-mail them repeatedly.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks,
~Kelly
Old 09-12-2003, 02:25 PM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

Let me get this straight -- you want to get an S2K steering wheel without the airbag, and you want to put this on your Prelude, adding the air bag afterward? Well, that is either impossible or very unsafe if it is. Each car has different sensors, triggers, and computers for the air bag system, and it is not designed to be interchanged. Having said this, even if by chance you can mix and match (which, again, I highly doubt this is possible), you are taking a huge risk messing with the air bag system. If an untrained and uncertified person (i.e. you or your friend) mess with the system, and someone else is in the car when it malfunctions, you are liable. Even if you've sold the car and it happens five years later. The air bag system is a federally regulated safety system and if you use a vehicle for passenger driving, the air bag system is not to be tampered with. Same with seat belts. When you sell a car, you are required to disclose if the air bag system has discharged and has been rebuilt. If you disclose that you've messed with it by changing the steering wheel because you like a different one, you may not be able to sell the car untill it has been properly verified by qualified people (aka dealer), and if you don't disclose this info and it malfunctions, they WILL find out, and you will be in for a massive lawsuit. Simply put, this is a no-no.
Old 09-12-2003, 09:38 PM
93accordEX

lots of people have done it. it plugs in exactly like stock and works perfectly fine. Its very simple and very safe
Old 09-13-2003, 12:15 AM
qoheleth

http://www.ntpog.org/mods/fifth-s2kwheel/index.shtml

Here is the how-to link on the S2K wheel install.

Thanks for your concern. However, I just want to know how to get my hands on a cheap airbag.

~K