Notices

ignition problem

Old 07-24-2003, 08:06 PM
alaplaia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ignition problem

hi-
i'm posting this in a few dif. locations cuz i dont really no where i should ask...anyway...
my ignition system has been acting up lately in my 98 prelude. specifically, it takes more than a few turns of the key to actually get it to catch. i dont know if it is the starter, sparkplugs or whatever but i was planning on installing a new ignition system with a quick starter (donno if its called that) anyway, so i figured now is the perfect time... was wondering if you guys could guide me in the right direction for what im looking for... basically a whole new ignition with all the fun internals that go with it (wires, Splugs, etc...) I'm planning on putting Denso iridium sparkplugs and NGK wires but what exactly do i need for a "quick starter"? any input would be great- thanks
Old 07-24-2003, 08:12 PM
elbee

Dude, it's a recall. Go to the dealer and get it fixed for free.
Old 07-24-2003, 10:06 PM
alaplaia

good to know... 2 things tho-
1- i bought the car from a private party? if its a recal do i still need the warranty (which i dont have) or can i just take it to any dealer and theyll fix it?

2- i'd like to do these ignition mods anyway so should i just wait on fixing it and just go ahead and get a new ignition system **if anyone has imput on this, please help**
Old 07-24-2003, 10:13 PM
elbee

Get the switch fixed first. Doesn't matter how many owners or if you're out of warranty--its free. Then do the upgrades.
Old 07-25-2003, 06:14 PM
drift
Flaccid Member

Originally posted by alaplaia
good to know... 2 things tho-
1- i bought the car from a private party? if its a recal do i still need the warranty (which i dont have) or can i just take it to any dealer and theyll fix it?

2- i'd like to do these ignition mods anyway so should i just wait on fixing it and just go ahead and get a new ignition system **if anyone has imput on this, please help**
1 - warranties are on the car, not the buyer. this problem you have resulted in a recall notice, and will be fixed fro free by Honda.

2 - no. your upgrades wont fix the problem since it's a problem with the ignitor, a component that is still used to trigger an aftermarket ignition system.
Old 07-25-2003, 06:37 PM
alaplaia

thank you