Notices

Honda needs a replacement for it's Prelude

Old 06-01-2003, 05:26 PM
4thGenReady2Go
Throbbing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well forget this mythic S2200 coupe, I'd drive an S2000 over a Prelude any day (assuming we all live in an ideal summer-all-year-round region).
Old 06-01-2003, 05:53 PM
clickwir
Floppy Death! noES!!!

After being on vacation and driving my gf's Dodge Neon everywhere.... being back in my prelude is a dream! So much more power and pickup, steering is quick and responsive.... such a huge diffrence.

The 03 Accord v6 6spd coupe is nice, very nice. If it had more of the "Prelude" characteristics, maybe a little wider and a bit more aggressice... it would make one killer Prelude.

When I first started pointing out the new Accords to my gf, she then saw the Accord v6 6spd and right away she asked if that was the new prelude.... I told her they stoped making them... she handed me a tissue.:wtc: We laughed. :chuckles:
Old 06-01-2003, 05:59 PM
4thGenReady2Go
Throbbing Member

lol, funny, yet at the same time, saddening...
Old 06-02-2003, 07:40 AM
99vert

yeah, the prelude was my favorite
Old 06-03-2003, 07:14 AM
Clockwork

Default No more ludes...

In my opinion, they won't make a Prelude for quite some time (if then even decide to bring it back eventually) because the Honda company has a few sport coupes now as is.
They have the more expensive S2000, but the more reasonably priced RSX type S and the Accord Coupe (v6), so the niche for the Prelude is not far from being filled (although neither of these cars IS a Prelude)
I am just thinking that they will probably have to get rid of one of these cars in order to bring back the Prelude. Other wise they would just be competing with themselves
Just my 2 cents worth,
Clockwork
Old 06-03-2003, 07:43 AM
4thGenReady2Go
Throbbing Member

Well, in that case, they did compete with themselves for a while, while the integra and prelude were both available. I think they can still sell an Acura performance vehicle in the price range (or a bit more expensive) and still sell a Honda in that category. While, of course, some will argue that the teg was a better car for the money, or whatever, I think they were about equal. Speaking Honda alone, yeah, that's true, they have a $31k roadster, and a $26k (right?) accord coupe, but they can still fit in a car in between. how pricing works etc, sure that's one of a few obstacles, and perhaps one of the reasons they dropped the lude, but hell, I can see Honda selling a lot of them if they reintroduce it, but I guess for the full impact, they'd have to wait a while...bummer.
Old 06-03-2003, 08:57 AM
Vampgrrl
Farscape 1 pilot

Honda may or may not think so, but the V6 Accord coupe so does not feel like a Prelude nor does it drive like a Prelude. The closet Honda has is the S2000 but even then, totally different driving experience.
I know that without a roadster, if I dont need a sedan when it comes time to buy myself another car down the road..if they dont have the Prelude or a car like it I most likely won't be driving Honda any longer.
It's too soon to say what will or won't happen though, I say it comes back but it takes I read, 7 years to design a new car from the ground up and any Prelude would be totally new.
Old 06-03-2003, 01:44 PM
monkey

Default hi guys

Originally posted by 4thGenReady2Go
for sure though, Honda has become a more boring company since the Prelude left us. And I say that with the deepest appreciation for Honda, and I will never buy anything other than a Honda (except a Ferrari if I can afford one, or maybe a 350Z... but let's get back to reality here). Anyway, I'm tired of seeing all these $hitty 2001+ civics bouncing around with their crap struts and stupid flat rear floorboards. Mostly I'm tired of seeing a company cater more and more to shareholders than to the driver, the passenger, or the family. While I'm sure the Civic Type R will be a welcome sight when it arrives in north america, Honda still lacks it's sporty, beefy looking coupe. While the latest coupe offers a helluva lot more power than the 5th gen did, I would love to see a Prelude come out in a few years which answers ALL the wishes and desires of Honda fans, and even the doubtfuls. Possibly a V6, but definitely a lot of power, double wishbones, back AND front
(it had to be said), and maybe even RWD. Hell, I think 4WS should be reintroduced, but that's just me. I'll get off the soapbox now, but yeah, let's bring the Prelude back.
hi guys, i'm new to the forum.

and i'm ranting from the start but:
The 'lude is the only honda outside of the s2000 that came close to being a real sports car. What i'd like to see if they ever re-released the 'lude is RWD. My lude handles so well even with FF, imagine what you could do if you could toss the rear out and driftttttttt....anyway. Also, putting a 6 into a lude seems like sacrelige to me, but how about a turbo 2.2? yeah i know, honda isn't a FI Engine company but it leads me onto gripe #2, utter lack of any sort of torque. 200 bhp, 160 lbft just doesn't excite me. Increase displacement if you have to, hell add an extra 2 cylinders and make it an inline 6, but please please please give us more torque. issue #3, and it might be particular to my gen5 but whoever thought of the gear ratios on this 5spd needs to be shot. 1-3 are so tall and 4-5 so short, i honestly think they made this transmission upside down. Compounded by the lack of torque it just doesn't make for very exciting driving sometimes, unless i'm already at 6000 RPM. Last complaint: pick a better OEM tire. Bridgestone RE92's are an insult to this cars marvelous suspension, and have almost killed me a couple of times.

in the end, i don't really care about HP, so long as it's around 200. I'm not a drag racer or a rocketeer so i don't want 350hp to lay burnouts at the parking lot of the local hs. What i want is to get around the cones a lil faster on saturday afternoons, and in general an even more enjoyable experience powering through (instead of slushing) the twisties.

just my $.02
Old 06-03-2003, 07:40 PM
4thGenReady2Go
Throbbing Member

Well taken, but Honda won't sell a new prelude in 5-7 years from now with around 200 hp. When those trashy Grand Am GTs are packing somewhere around there now, and you can get a Dodge Neon SRTABC#!@@%353215 or whatever the hell it's called for $19k, (despite the fact that it's probably all engine), and that's NOW. Think about it, the Evo and STi are around $30k-$32k, and pack 276 and 300 hp respectively, if the Prelude were to sell for the same price it sold few in generations past, more power is definitely needed. Yes, we all like the way it handles, and would love to toss it around cones, but I honestly don't think you're going to find another person in this forum who wouldn't want more stock power out of their Prelude. That comment I made about the V6 might've been a bit hasty, there's still plenty of potential for the 4, but yeah, I definitely think that if they do make another Prelude, it'll have to be RWD.
Old 06-04-2003, 09:22 PM
k.a.y

ok, the RSX was to replace the integra, and the Accord was to replace the old accords. If anything, I think the Prelude is dead, but Honda will probably do the same thing the Acura side of the company w/ the Integra. Give the Prelude a direct replacement, and the RSX did the teggy. However, they obviously chose not to do this right away, so maybe they're waiting for S2000 sales to drop first? I dunno, maybe it's all wishful thinking.