Notices

CAI For 5th Gen., Worth It?

Old 05-15-2003, 04:16 AM
MonStar
'97 Prelude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAI For 5th Gen., Worth It?

What do you guys think about a CAI for my 5th gen. automatic?

I have heard that it sounds cool---but other than sound are there any other pros and cons that I should know about?
Old 05-15-2003, 05:21 AM
Sceptre

Not worth it esp if you are in a city that floods or rains a lot. You can get a bypass for that tho.... Just get e regular intake. Besides, intakes makes the car a little slower in 1st and 2nd gear, but is suppose to be better in the high end, but who cares about that when you are trying to take some punk kid off the line..... yea, sounds a heck of a lot better. Get an exhaust. Apex is a good one not too loud but noticable. Tanabe is very loud. Can get annoying. Really annoying when you are in VTEC.
Old 05-15-2003, 05:23 AM
epoxy
Regulator

get one. it's more power. get a bypass valve if it floods. (filter have to be submerged in water for it to suck up water without a bypass valve)

get ok power gains for the dollar. Just get an AEM CAI and keep the filter in good shape.
Old 05-15-2003, 05:27 AM
MonStar
'97 Prelude

Yeah I was gonna ask any brands that you guys recommend? AEM? I just want to get a good one. A little slower in the 1st or 2nd gear?? That is NOT what I want at all. If anything I want to gain better sound and some more power.

I was thinking just a K&N filter instead if I dont get a CAI.
Old 05-15-2003, 12:29 PM
k.a.y

go for a CAI, you get better throttle responce & better gas mileage, too. not to mention more power & a better sound. as for brands, IT'S A TUBE!!!! the brand REALLY doesn't matter!! I have a generic 60 dollar setup off ebay, and a friend of mine w/ a 93 lude si (same as mine) wasted his $ on an AEM. we raced, and were tied through the whole quarter. unless you are brand name, car fashion obsessive, it doesn't matter at all.
Old 05-15-2003, 05:02 PM
MonStar
'97 Prelude

Okay, once I get some cash, Ill pick up a CAI from Ebay.

I hope that I can install it myself!
Old 05-15-2003, 05:15 PM
clickwir
Floppy Death! noES!!!

It's not always "just a tube". Not all tubes are made the same and to the same quality.

If your serious, get an AEM. If your just going to get one cause it's a neato thing to do and other kids are doin it... go with an ebay one.

You get what you pay for.
Old 05-15-2003, 05:19 PM
MonStar
'97 Prelude

Okay.

Some quick questions. AEM cold air intake is not a problem.

Should I buy the optional bypass valve? And what about a short ram intake? Am I better off with a CAI?
Old 05-15-2003, 06:15 PM
clickwir
Floppy Death! noES!!!

Unless your car is regularly submerged in water, the bypass valve is going to be a waste of money and is going to hinder performance.

The short ram, brings in warmer air... it's shorter and gives better throttle responce, but brings in hot air from the engine bay. Colder air is better for combustion.
Old 05-15-2003, 09:38 PM
k.a.y

the only possible diffenence between an AEM and a generic cai would be the ceramic coating to keep intake temps down. if you get a decent one off ebay, and not one of the REALLY cheap ones (like 15 bucks), it will already come coated. And if you're still THAT concerned about it, just get some high temp paint of the color of your choice, and spray the inside & outside of the tube.