Notices

5th Gen. Lighting

Old 04-30-2003, 06:36 PM
MonStar
'97 Prelude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5th Gen. Lighting

Okay, I have some questions about the lighting for a 5th generation Lude.

First of all, what is the low-beam bulb and what is the high-beam bulb? Are they tough to do yourself?

I am also thinking Ill probably take out my parking light bulb alltogether. Just because I dont like yellow in the headlights. I want all WHITE headlights. Orange signals, etc.
Old 04-30-2003, 07:31 PM
MonStar
'97 Prelude

Anyone have a list of the bulbs and what # is which. From what I understand the front signals are 7440? What about the interior lights? And side marker lights? And license plate light?
Old 05-01-2003, 02:18 AM
prelude1897

both high bean and low beam bulbs are H1...I don't have the part number for the parking light bulb
Old 05-01-2003, 05:06 AM
MonStar
'97 Prelude

Okay thats what I thought, thanks bro. H1 for both the low and the high-beam bulbs. I am most likely going to go with Silverstars for them---anyone recommend a brighter/whiter bulb? Dont want to spend a ton of cash.

Are the low and high beams easy to change? And is the parking light in the headlight housing a 168 bulb?

http://216.82.69.117/detail.asp?PROD...=194-168-WHITE

Also, what kinda bulbs are the turn signal and side marker lights? Are they hard to change?
Old 05-01-2003, 05:12 AM
MonStar
'97 Prelude

This one site also says that Prelude front turn signals are these:

http://216.82.69.117/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=7440-Amber

And the front side markers (on side of front bumper) are these:

http://216.82.69.117/detail.asp?PROD...=194-168-Amber

And most of the interior lights are 168?
Old 05-01-2003, 05:14 AM
clickwir
Floppy Death! noES!!!

http://www.sylvania.com/bin/carApp/c...elude&x=27&y=7

This might help out a bit. However it did have one wrong for my 4th gen prelude. It said 7440 but my car actually has a 1156/168 combo.

The best way to answer your question... go take the bulb OUT and read whats on the side of it. That way you are 100% sure what the bulb is.
Old 05-01-2003, 05:20 AM
MonStar
'97 Prelude

Oh yeah okay clickwir, good idea man---I probably will end up doing this.

Are the headlights / parking lights / front signals / side bumper marker lights tough to change?

ALSO, what is my best bet for a very white set of headlights? I just noticed that Siverstars are not made in H1s. I am thinking Xenons?
Old 05-01-2003, 06:25 AM
clickwir
Floppy Death! noES!!!

Depending on the bulb, some are more difficult than others. Still not VERY hard but still.... for my car the hardest ones to change are the headlights... well maybe the corners cause that has to have the housing "jimmied" back in....it's weird.

The headlights have a shield/bracket that needs to be twisted to get the bulbs out... my old 96... I don't think they were ever changed. So it was difficult to turn them.

Others are super easy... take out one screw, pull the bulb straight out and put in a new one. some have a 1/4 turn twist to them. But those are super easy.
Old 05-01-2003, 02:28 PM
vincelamscu

For 5th Generation Ludes...

The dome light and reading lights are the same as parking lights in the front and side markers. They are all 168 (aka. wedge bulbs). If you have an extra 168 (since there are 3 interior lights and most bulbs come in sets of 2), you can also replace the bulb that lights up the rear license plate. I have PIAA 168's all around and have had no problem with them at all.

If you have an SH, I think there are also lights on the doors. These bulbs are probably also 168, but I'm not sure since I have the base model.

I'm not sure what the turn signals in front are.

The high and low beams are H1's. They are pretty easy to install, just don't touch the glass part of the bulb with your hand. Otherwise, you will get some of your body's oil on it and they have a greater chance of burning out faster or even exploding. I had a set of Nokya Arctic Whites that I got from ebay. Supposedly, Nokya's have a tendency to burn out your wiring, but I lucked out and they lasted about 6 months without problem. The Nokya's were definitely whiter than the stock, but they weren't that bright. I have PIAA Platinum's now, which are legit. They are expensive, but have lasted so far (4 months and counting). They are bright and have a nice blue tint to them. Also, they are SAE/DOT certified, so the cops can't bust me for them. I also heard that Sylvania and Phillips make good bulbs that are cheaper than PIAA's.
Old 05-02-2003, 02:25 PM
Clockwork

with regards to how hard the exterior lights are to get, ( ie head lamps and signal lamps), they are very easy to access, it may take you a few minutes to figure out how the clip goes back on, but once you figured it out, it's a joke.
I have a set of CATZ galaxy white, and I turn a lot of heads, most think they are HID lamps, but they just are that clean.
PIAA may be comming out with an H1 bulb this summe/fall, but I can vouch for the CATZ at being great.
Clockwork