Notices

98 prelude axel question.

Old 04-26-2009, 03:51 PM
Kmx1359

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 prelude axel question.

I own a 98 Prelude Sh with an F23 engine and transmission from an 01 accord. the previous owner had the swap done. I recently had the driver side axel break while a friend of mine was driving the car. I got ahold of the last owner of the car to ask what axel i had to buy and he told me one for an 01 accord. when i put the axel in it did fit but it seemed to long and i had a bad vibration while driving. I removed the axel and was told by someone else I needed a prelude axel. when I finaly got ahold of one the end that would normaly go to the half shaft was made different. instead of being a Male style end , It was female, such as one an SH with ATTS would use. So now im totally lost. I have checked everything else such as balljoints, tie rods , wheel bearings and nothing seems loose or worn. Any info on problem would be a big help.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:49 PM
A-series
v-card member alpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to clarify, you have the SH model? If the SH model needs a different axel/half-shaft than the base model, but the SH half-shaft isn't compatible with the Accord trans, maybe they used an axel for the base model Prelude w/o ATTS :shrug:

This is just a shot in the dark, but did the new Accord half-shaft have the rubber donut on it, the "damper" or whatever that's supposed to prevent vibration. They're normally on the longer of the two half-shafts (driver's side I believe in your case). The damper has a specific spot on the shaft it's supposed to sit too. If it's on there but is nowhere close to that spot it might vibrate.

Last edited by A-series; 05-02-2009 at 10:54 PM.