Old 01-28-2003, 07:22 PM
epoxy
Regulator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what?
Old 03-19-2003, 09:57 AM
boydrifter

Can someone help me!!!. I need the code for my cd player. I lost the card.

serial numer 93A218766
Old 05-15-2003, 04:37 PM
jfiedler
Junior Member w/Fries

Originally posted by fastball
All new Hondas and Acuras do. Any Honda with the anti-theft immobilizer system have it. You'll know if the car has it when starting or shuting the engine, you'll see a green lamp with the symbol of a key blink on the dash board. On these cars, there is a transponder in the key that contains a matched code to a computer in the car. If the code is missing or doesn't match when someone tries to start the car, it won't start. Car can't be hotwired, or started with a key that was duplicated at your local hardware store. You must order it from Honda through your dealer, and have the red key to program the new key. They cost about 60.00 each for a new one. That red key is for programing only, and will damage your car's immobilizer system if you try to use it to start the car. It contains a master override code that can only be used to program new keys to your car's specific code. That's why the red key is in a sealed box and on the back it clearly states "DO NOT USE THIS KEY". As bad as it might seem, this is worlds better than the key GM uses...... even though they're cheaper and don't need to be programed, it's VERY easy to get a duplicated key for the GM Pass-key system, since it's only a resistor, and not a frequency transponder.
the only vehicles that use the "red key" are the 97-01 preludes, which use the type-1 transponder system. all other vehicles at the time of this post (with the exception of the 03 accord) use the type-2 system, which do not require the use of the "red key" to reprogram, instead using the PGM or HDS units that all dealerships have in the shop. additional keys can also be made simply by bringing any working key to a dealership with an ilco transponder duplicator. this saves time & doesn't require the car to be present. the 03 accord uses the new type-4 transponder system, which utilizes rolling codes. they require use of the PGM or HDS to add/remove keys, as type-4 keys cannot have their RF code programmed into another key by the ilco duplicator.

there is no type-3 transponder system. (at least in USDM production vehicles)

as for being unstealable...any dealer can get the key code & immobilizer bypass code for any honda with just the vehicle's VIN. the key code can be used to cut a new key without an original key to trace. the immobilizer bypass code can be used to start the vehicle without using the correct transponder key or any other special equipment for that matter. a thief that knows someone at a dealer and had a handheld key cutter (no bigger than a power drill) and a few blank keys could stand next to a honda (transponder or not), read the VIN off the dash through the windshield to their friend at the dealer, cut the key standing on the side of the road, get in the car WITHOUT damaging the car or using a slim jim...then use the key in the ignition to unlock the steering column and start the car after putting in the immobilizer brake code. if they're quick, they could have the car started about 2 minutes after they called in the VIN. no damage to the vehicle whatsoever.

before you get paranoid...all VIN inquiries are tracked, and individual dealer employees are identified by id/pin combinations. anyone that has half a brain would not risk having their name attached to the VIN inquiry of a vehicle that was stolen a few minutes later
Old 05-15-2003, 06:47 PM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

Originally posted by jfiedler
the only vehicles that use the "red key" are the 97-01 preludes, which use the type-1 transponder system. all other vehicles at the time of this post (with the exception of the 03 accord) use the type-2 system, which do not require the use of the "red key" to reprogram, instead using the PGM or HDS units that all dealerships have in the shop. additional keys can also be made simply by bringing any working key to a dealership with an ilco transponder duplicator. this saves time & doesn't require the car to be present. the 03 accord uses the new type-4 transponder system, which utilizes rolling codes. they require use of the PGM or HDS to add/remove keys, as type-4 keys cannot have their RF code programmed into another key by the ilco duplicator.

there is no type-3 transponder system. (at least in USDM production vehicles)

as for being unstealable...any dealer can get the key code & immobilizer bypass code for any honda with just the vehicle's VIN. the key code can be used to cut a new key without an original key to trace. the immobilizer bypass code can be used to start the vehicle without using the correct transponder key or any other special equipment for that matter. a thief that knows someone at a dealer and had a handheld key cutter (no bigger than a power drill) and a few blank keys could stand next to a honda (transponder or not), read the VIN off the dash through the windshield to their friend at the dealer, cut the key standing on the side of the road, get in the car WITHOUT damaging the car or using a slim jim...then use the key in the ignition to unlock the steering column and start the car after putting in the immobilizer brake code. if they're quick, they could have the car started about 2 minutes after they called in the VIN. no damage to the vehicle whatsoever.

before you get paranoid...all VIN inquiries are tracked, and individual dealer employees are identified by id/pin combinations. anyone that has half a brain would not risk having their name attached to the VIN inquiry of a vehicle that was stolen a few minutes later
I guess some of the key traces done on Gone In Sixty Seconds weren't that far from the truth.
Old 05-24-2003, 02:26 PM
con4me

Can i buy the immobilizer system and install it in my 96 honda civic?
Old 05-25-2003, 07:28 AM
jfiedler
Junior Member w/Fries

Originally posted by con4me
Can i buy the immobilizer system and install it in my 96 honda civic?
you would have to find a way to put an 01+ ECM/PCM in your car...which i'm pretty sure is not possible. the immobilizer system works in conjunction with the ECM/PCM and the fuel system.

you can buy aftermarket immobilizer type systems, but they are significantly less secure than the factory installed version. i don't know of any that use an in-key transponder either...they all have little keychain devices similar to a mobil speedpass.
Old 05-26-2003, 08:31 AM
honda guy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

even if you hav the red key and you loose all of the other keys you cant get a replacement made you have to replace the immobilizer unit and it comes with a new red key and a master key, because the red key is only a learning. And any dealor can access the vin inquiry and it won't point to anyone in perticular and they can get the brake code which is used to bypass the immobilizer, only key codes require a tech number and a social security number.
Old 05-26-2003, 09:40 AM
jfiedler
Junior Member w/Fries

Originally posted by honda guy
even if you hav the red key and you loose all of the other keys you cant get a replacement made you have to replace the immobilizer unit and it comes with a new red key and a master key, because the red key is only a learning. And any dealor can access the vin inquiry and it won't point to anyone in perticular and they can get the brake code which is used to bypass the immobilizer, only key codes require a tech number and a social security number.
this is true. you need to replace the immobilizer (comes w/red key and new master key) if you:

1. lose the red key
2. lose all your other keys
3. use the red key to try and start the car (almost always but not every time)
4. the immobilizer unit fails for any reason.

any existing master/valet keys can be reprogrammed to the new immobilizer unit.

when i referred to requiring the DPSM and last four of SSN for getting access to a car, i was talking about the key code request, though i didn't make that very clear. previously, VIN status required both, and contained the key code. if you look at a recent VIN status request, there is (last i remember) a line for key code, but it is no longer filled in. VIN status is no longer traceable in the same way, although it is recorded as being placed by your IN username. since VIN status is performed by most service advisors when checking your car for existing campaign codes, there isn't much risk in running one.
Old 08-08-2003, 08:34 AM
tacheon

Originally posted by preylude99
97 gs...... what I had to do was pull out the radio and get the serial code off the radio, it took about 10 minutes to do this and a call to the dealer, with that serial code the dealer will give me the code to the radio for free so if you guys have time, pull out the black trim panel, then there should be 4 screws which hold the radio in, pull the radio out and get me the serial code and I can call the dealer over here if you want which gives the codes for free with the serial #, let me know....
If you lost power to the radio, you can display the radio serial by turning car to on position, push pwr, preset 1+6 simultaneously. It'll be displayed on screen. There shouldn't be a need to be pulling radios out of a car for this operation.