Notices

New prelude

Old 09-23-2002, 01:11 PM
nextgenholmes
Senior Member Wannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New prelude

well this is gonna be confusing..but today i picked up my new 97 prelude sh. i am having to invest some money into because of its salvage title but unlike my previous prelude i am planning on modifiying it more torwards the performance side of the car. the last car i did a custom install of 4 12 inch audiobahn subs and componants with a custom sparco interior(back seats redone to match torino seats incuding embriodered sparco in the back seat) well enough back round information i was wondering what u guys would think would be the best performance mods for not a lot of money. are there any good turbo kits for not to much money or have any of u guys run the Venom nitrous system? i am considering the Oz racing superleggra rims but i am unsure on what tires i should use... any recomondations would be help full i am planning on getting around 20000 for the car
Old 09-23-2002, 04:51 PM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

Uh, why would you buy a car with a salvage title? Lord know what happened to the car. Even if you do a Carfax research on it, you don't really know. And you think you're gonna get $20,000 for it after you mod it for a little money? Either I don't get what you're trying to do because you're a little confusing, or you have no clue what your trying to do. A mint 1997 SH with low mileage and no salvage title might get you $18,000 right now.
Old 09-23-2002, 07:35 PM
SK LUDE

I'm also confused as far as whats going on....but i think I somewhat understand.

Lets see you got 97 Prelude Type SH with a slavage title. You wanna invest money into it and want more performance side rather then looks. When you said you can get $20,000 for it i'm thinking thats for your old car ...either that or you buying the 87 for $20K
Well lets break it down:

1. If you getting the 97 for $20,000 with a salvage title....then thats like asking for it. WHo knows what happen to the car...might have been a really bad ass accident or flood damage or who knows. What I would suggest after you buy it ....rather BEFORE you buy it ... check out the car from top to bottom and take it to few mechanics to get it inspected. Do comperssion test, look at the engine... missmatched color in the body pannels and uneven seems in body pannels...this would mean it was either repainted and in an accident. Either way.. salvage title is VERY SKETCH :eh: :down:

2. If you were talking about selling your old Prelude for $20,000 then :yay: :thumbup:

3. Depending on what you want to do with the new car.. either turbo or JRSC (supercharger) better figure it out from start. If you planing on doing a lot of boost then i suggest rebuilding the engine either turbo or sc will benefit from it. less problems later on. If you want to do nitros thats also ok ..but thats cheesy power... its :ghey: :tfg: IMO but hey you can think other wise.
Remember if you do go F.I. DO NOT cut corners...rather pay a price now or pay a lot later on when something goes BOOOM.:a:

4. Superalegras are nice..i like them i am thinking of getting them instead of my rota;s subzeros. As far as tire size...well for 17s rim you would and can run 215/40 r17 or 215/45 r17 but make sure you get offset of +45 and above meaning +45 +48 +50(doubt they make that but you can ask) You will defenetly need at least +45 offset to make it good. I have a +48 with 215/45 r17 tires ....lowered 1.4~5 all around and i dont rub... only on the front when i turn the wheels and i hit a bump it makes a shhhhhhh sound on the inner splash shield... but nothing major not even enough to scrape the dirt off.

Hope that was educational.:beer:
Old 09-24-2002, 04:56 PM
nextgenholmes
Senior Member Wannabe

i'd like to say thank u and i'll clear up a bit for u guys
i am a owner of TWO preludes. i bought this second prelude(97 sh) from a friend who i trust very much that is the only reason i bought it. i bought my very first prelude (94'vtec salvage title once again) i have been looking at this prelude for 3 weeks. i have had driven it and my step brother (mechanic at honda dealer) look it over and he said other then the few panels out of place (easy fix that he is willing to do) and it drives fine(have been driving it past 2 days) i have a class at the tech school in which i am planning on running some test like u said compression and what not. makin sure **** works. im no brain bout it but my teacher is.
The reason why i thought nitrous(not nawwwssss) was because it is cheaper then a turbo or supercharger kit even tho it may not be quite as reliable or as constant. how much hp/tq gain would the jrsc kit? if anyone knows from experiance. and doesnt greddy make a turbo kit? what kinda of enhancements does that add?
also what kind of tire would u recommend i have only had experiance with a set of nitto nt555 and i am considering widening my tire experiances. well thanks for ur help
Old 09-24-2002, 06:49 PM
SK LUDE

I see it now.

Well the Greddy kit is not designed for SH models (dont quote me on this, may be they did a change but when it first came out it was only for base cars). The greddy kit suppose to give OK gains, but then again its all in the tuning and prep work. Like I said you CANT CUT corners.

Why am i against NOS/nitros/nawzzzz/juice/psssttt/etc... well because i would like to have the power on tap and always be there when i need it. Driving on a highway or just in case. NOS doesnt give you that. Its only when you spray and even then ... you should only do it like few times in one month or a week. With turbo or SC you always have the power there. Of the line on top end in mid range. No bottle to open no stuff to worry about.

Turbo will give you about 7lbs of boost daily driving and then you can turn it up to like 10-12 on the track. Turbo will start spooling at 3,000rpm and all the way to the top. Turbo does have more potential then a SC since there is more boost and room to improove.

JRSC / jackson racing supercharger will only give you a bosst of 6-7psi. It will only boost when you stomp on it ...meaning ...there is a bypass valve on it ...thats when not boosting its shuts down the boost, leaves the valve open and although the supercharger still spinning... you not getting any boost and its like driving a regular lude. You might see a boost of 1 but not even. Ask some people and they will tell you that around town just doig slow driving or cruising the SC does not boost.

With either turbo or SC you will need extra work such as fuel and ignition done just to be on a safe side, guages, clutch is a must and stiffer motor mounts or at least motor mounts bushings. so which ever road you choose, good luck. My personal favorite is JRSC..why well it give good torque, good reliability factor and easier to maintain. Straight bolt on. Down side is.... a turbo lude will take you since 1. they have more boost, 2. they have better top end. But for a daily driver like myself SC is what a doctor prescribes.

On the tire question..... Well if you going for 17s I have FALKEN FK-451 tires. Good thread wear, hold the road good. In wet they are really good on breaking. Seemed to be a bit noisey when i got them but once i broke them in ... they are very quiet. ALso when you push them.... get get very sticky, which is a good thing.