Notices

Replacing a clutch in a 99 SH..

Old 04-22-2006, 12:28 PM
seattlejeff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing a clutch in a 99 SH..

Anyone have any advice or recomendations on replacing the clutch in a 99 Prelude SH? The dealer adds 6 hours because it's an SH so I want to know what I'm getting myself into if I do it myself. Dealer wanted $500 for parts, I got them for less than half at a local auto store. I bought the car new and the first clutch went out at 44K miles. I figured there was something defective but never pushed the warranty issue. Now the second one lasted about twice as long - until 122K - so I'm feeling better about it but not wanting to pay a shop again. The clutch is not starting to slip like most clutches going out that I have experienced, this one is sorta jumping/hopping - like one of the springs has fallen out and is sometimes getting wedged in there, etc. I'll know more when I get everything apart, just hoping someone could shed some quick instructions like pulling the engine/tranny is a lot easier in the long run, etc. Any advice? Thanks guys/gals.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:23 PM
Phateless
S2K compatible

do a search in the FAQs here and on honda-tech. you can find a helms manual in pdf format. that will give you step-by-step instructions. also check out superhonda.com. good luck. i know it's a pain in the ass, but that's all i know. and 44k miles?! do you what rev-matching is? if not i suggest you learn how.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:26 AM
Que-Lude

I did a search on "helms manual" in FAQ and found no such info
Old 04-23-2006, 02:20 PM
Phateless
S2K compatible

yea i searched around and didn't find anything either. that sucks. the integra faq has a link to a pdf of the helms. well i would hop on ebay and buy the helms for your car, it will be worth it countless times. also keep on searching for clutch replacement for sh, you'll find it eventually. i've seen instructions before, i just can't find them now.
Old 04-23-2006, 02:27 PM
seattlejeff

Default I found a link...

to the manuals but I think I've decided against doing the clutch replacement myself. I got everything setup and ready to go. My buddy showed up and we slid underneath and looked at everything there and realized exactly what was involved and figured it was time/money better spent having a shop do it. Honda Hook Up has the manuals - you have to register to get them, but they're there.
Old 04-23-2006, 04:19 PM
Phateless
S2K compatible

cool, thanks! that's a website i haven't heard of yet. yeah, for that i would just have your local honda dealer do it. the peace of mind is worth the money. plus, when you go to sell the car, you can wave that receipt around for credibility's sake.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:22 AM
Kap TypeSH

I had mine done at a shop. Wasn't bad, and I wasn't about to take the full-day to do it in my driveway, not to mention I don't have the tools nor expertise to attack that job right now.