Notices

'lude rebuild questions

Old 02-28-2006, 04:43 PM
contraress

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 'lude rebuild questions

Hey all. I wanted to ask the rebuild veterans how much of a pain it is to rebuild an H23? Also, if anyone has any good resources or pointers for this rebuild that would be awesome. I love this car so much I really can't justify selling it with a crapped out engine for next to nothing. I would consider doing a swap, but at this point since I am a poor college kid a rebuild would be more feasible. Please help!
Old 02-28-2006, 05:58 PM
F22B Prelude
Rachel Bilson

Rebuild will be more expensive, i would consider using an F22B DOHC engine as a replacement since it would be the cheapest alternative for you.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:31 PM
contraress

I appreciate your input, but if I would rather rebuild than put an F22 in. Also, you know the condition of the engine when you rebuild it. When you put in a different engine, it is possible that some jackass was abusing it. It could have low miles and still malfunction if it has been pushed to the limit.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:23 AM
F22B Prelude
Rachel Bilson

Originally Posted by contraress
I appreciate your input, but if I would rather rebuild than put an F22 in. Also, you know the condition of the engine when you rebuild it. When you put in a different engine, it is possible that some jackass was abusing it. It could have low miles and still malfunction if it has been pushed to the limit.
There is no difference in performance from the F22B DOHC JDM engine then there is from the H23A1...I have this engine in my Prelude when my H23 took a shit on me..if you want to waste your money rebuilding an engine thats on you, i got my F22 for 700 dollars shipped from cali to indiana....this swap is easier than installing an H22 into a Prelude.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:59 PM
contraress

Still not convinced, thanks. Anyone have any pointers on a rebuild?

Last edited by contraress; 03-01-2006 at 01:02 PM.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:11 PM
F22B Prelude
Rachel Bilson

Rebuilding is always more expensive then replacing. Either way your going to spend a shit load of money to repair your engine when you can just do a swap and use the extra money for something else, so if you truly are a poor college kid heed my advice. Are you going to rebuild this yourself? Usually if you take it to a shop they just rebuild the Head. What is wrong with the engine in the first place?
Old 03-01-2006, 01:29 PM
contraress

There is nothing wrong with the DOHC F22, like you said it's about the same as an H23. It's just that like I said I am not to cool about buying an engine that I have no knowledge of its history. I do plan to do the labor myself. I really like tinkering and since I don't NEED this car to be running right now, I can take my time and learn a thing or two. A rebuild kit including a new oil pump runs about $550 which is less than swapping.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:54 PM
F22B Prelude
Rachel Bilson

Originally Posted by contraress
There is nothing wrong with the DOHC F22, like you said it's about the same as an H23. It's just that like I said I am not to cool about buying an engine that I have no knowledge of its history. I do plan to do the labor myself. I really like tinkering and since I don't NEED this car to be running right now, I can take my time and learn a thing or two. A rebuild kit including a new oil pump runs about $550 which is less than swapping.
True but you never know what problems you might run into.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:45 PM
sherwood
I missed Sean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc...age&item=30027

just take the old one out slide the new one in.

as for a rebuild what exactly is wrong with it a complete rebild will cost 1000+