Notices

4th gen rear rack question

Old 08-30-2005, 05:17 PM
xXkenXx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4th gen rear rack question

i noticed a few days ago that the 4th generation prelude had a rear rack and pinion. This looks like a very advanced feature on a honda and i haven't seen this on any other hondas. I was just wondering if anyone knew why they didn't put it on the fifth gens and what it's advantages are.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:35 PM
Ludemandan
Prelude tracktion

Are you talking about a 4ws model?
Old 09-02-2005, 07:50 AM
2legit2quit
You Big Dummy

What you are looking at is called 4ws, it turns the rear wheels the opposite direction that the front wheels are being turned........kinda like a monter truck.(not as extreme though)
It's purpose is to give the prelude better handling. It also helps out in parking. 4ws was first used by honda on some 3rd gen preludes, then they put in on a few 4th gens, and over in Europe the 5th gens could be had with it too. Not all the preludes had 4ws, only the specific 4ws models got it so it's a pretty rare feature. Nissan had it's own version called SuperHICAS. Mitsubishi jumped on the bandwagon also when they put it on thier GTO (3000 GT here)
Old 09-02-2005, 03:43 PM
Ludemandan
Prelude tracktion

I tested a Nissan 240sx with HICAS once and the rear wheels didn't turn at all, at least when it was parked. Something must have been wrong.

The Prelude rear wheels change their direction with the steering angle. When you turn the wheels slightly, the rear wheels turn in the same direction as the fronts, for changing lanes. It only does this on a short range of the steering angle. When you turn it farther, then the rear wheels turn the opposite way. It's pretty damn cool. Only problem is, it weighs ~200lbs more.

Dan
Old 09-02-2005, 04:40 PM
2legit2quit
You Big Dummy

Originally Posted by Ludemandan
When you turn the wheels slightly, the rear wheels turn in the same direction as the fronts, for changing lanes.
Oh yea, I forgot about that.

As for the 240 you test drove, most people disable the Hicas on those. Maybe thats why it didn't work. :dunno: