Notices

Throttle Body Sensor

Old 12-17-2004, 03:06 PM
ramikassab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle Body Sensor

I just had my H23 swapped out with a JDM H22a in my 93 SI Automatic Prelude. I have been noticing that the car feels like it is lagging a little bit sometimes. What I mean is that I will be giving the car gas but it feels like it wont be going anywhere sometimes. Also, the car misfires a little bit. It doesn't make load popping sounds though. It happens mainly when I let go of the gas and the car is at high rpms. As it slows down the exhaust kinda rattles and pops a little bit. Also, the H22a doesn't redline at what I think an H22a should redline at. It stops at my old H23 redline.

Now, the mechanic that put this in for me said the JDM H22a didn't come with a throttle body sensor so he had to use my old one. He now thinks that is causing the problem. Can anyone clue me in on what the throttle body sensor does? I know it controls the amount of gas that is sprayed according to the gas pedal pressure basically. Would it also cause my RPMs to be limited to the H23 redline? On that note, what exactly is the JDM H22a supposed to redline at? I know it is more but don't know how much more. Would the misfiring be caused by the wrong sensor as well?

I replaced the spark plugs and wires just to eliminate the chance of either of those causing the misfiring.

Where can I get a throttle body sensor if I do need to get one for the H22a? That is a factory adjusted piece isn't it?
Old 12-17-2004, 07:05 PM
VPUPPY

what ecu are you running, the original or a new one?
Old 12-18-2004, 02:03 PM
ramikassab

Originally Posted by VPUPPY
what ecu are you running, the original or a new one?
I believe I am using the H22a ecu. I purchased one with the new motor.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:46 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

The throttle position sensor (TPS) is a critical component of any fuel injection system, all fuel injected Hondas come with them. A misadjusted TPS will cause a lot of problems, including those you describe.

Every part is "factory adjusted." Honda likes to attach them with headless screws, so drill those out and replace them with normal screws... your mechanic probably did this already in order to swap them. He also may have adjusted it to bad specs. From what you describe, it shouldn't be too far off. Use a multimeter to check it's resistance through the full throttle motion.

If the engine cuts fuel at the old H23A cut RPM, you should check to see if the H22A ECU has been installed.