Notices

Turbo

Old 09-02-2004, 08:45 PM
GpoppLude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo

First off is it possible, and if it is...

Should I wait and get a really good header/exhaust setup to help it or what? Or just go ahead and buy the cia/header/exhaust then save and put one on or does the turbo need a certain exhaust setup.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:26 PM
k.a.y

if you go turbo, don't even bother w/ exhaust now, because you'd be replacing everything, anyway. The exhaust manifold (header) is where the turbo mounts, so this obviously needs to be replaced w/ a turbo-ready unit. also, the optimum exhaust piping size for turbo'd hondas is 3", but if you bolt this to a naturally aspirated motor, you'd loose ALOT of backpressure, and torque.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:29 PM
alphaxxn
4500rpm hesitation

dont bother with a header if you are going to go turbo soon, if its a very distant thing though I Wouldnt care and go get a header.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:42 PM
preludedriver99

I just want to throw my opinion in here not that it will change anyones mind but think about what I say here. Why the hell anyone would want to turbo a prelude puzzles me. Actually I think it's down right retarded. A lude is not a race car, not a drag car, and definitely not made to be turbo'd. If it was, Honda would have done it from the factory. Turbos on a lude are unreliable, you've got to tune them all the time and for it to work halfway right you will need engine management that will be a easy 600-1400 bucks. You will need this for all motor too but at least once it's tuned you wont have to screw with it much. All you're going to do is spin the tires off and break axles. Ludes aren't made for straight line speed although they can hang with lot's of big boys if done right! To have a prelude run right on a turbo you will have 4500-6000 to sleeve, build, balance, and blueprint the motor to run forged pistons. A good turbo setup will run you anywhere from 2000-3500 for top of the line equipment! Engine management anywhere from 600-1400 bucks, and upgraded axles at least 400 probably more. That's close to ten grand and if you get a nice 5th gen you're looking anywhere from 8000-16,000 grand. Why not just buy a MR2 turbo or supra if you want a better drag car! If you turbo your h22 with stock internals it's going to blow up no questions asked! One time with boost spike and you're done. To do it right would be $$$$ but could work but that's not my cup of tea. Does this make sense or am I an idiot?
Old 09-02-2004, 11:51 PM
EVO VIII
Imports over Domestic

Originally Posted by preludedriver99
I just want to throw my opinion in here not that it will change anyones mind but think about what I say here. Why the hell anyone would want to turbo a prelude puzzles me. Actually I think it's down right retarded. A lude is not a race car, not a drag car, and definitely not made to be turbo'd. If it was, Honda would have done it from the factory. Turbos on a lude are unreliable, you've got to tune them all the time and for it to work halfway right you will need engine management that will be a easy 600-1400 bucks. You will need this for all motor too but at least once it's tuned you wont have to screw with it much. All you're going to do is spin the tires off and break axles. Ludes aren't made for straight line speed although they can hang with lot's of big boys if done right! To have a prelude run right on a turbo you will have 4500-6000 to sleeve, build, balance, and blueprint the motor to run forged pistons. A good turbo setup will run you anywhere from 2000-3500 for top of the line equipment! Engine management anywhere from 600-1400 bucks, and upgraded axles at least 400 probably more. That's close to ten grand and if you get a nice 5th gen you're looking anywhere from 8000-16,000 grand. Why not just buy a MR2 turbo or supra if you want a better drag car! If you turbo your h22 with stock internals it's going to blow up no questions asked! One time with boost spike and you're done. To do it right would be $$$$ but could work but that's not my cup of tea. Does this make sense or am I an idiot?
it makes sense to me....but of course if you build up a h22 that is nice
Old 09-03-2004, 12:38 AM
preludedriver99

Presently waiting on my fully sleeved and built block from Golden Eagle! Waiting on the head should be here in two weeks. The block is on the return voyage to my house . I've got over 6 grand in this motor and new parts!!!
Old 09-03-2004, 06:59 AM
cyclops755

I can definatly see where Preludedriver99's coming from, and although I don't know as much about all of it as he obviously does, I can still see his point. Ludes don't have it from the factory, so why force it? ....and even if you do, to do it RIGHT is big $$$.
BUT, think about it, a turbo'd VTEC would just be NASTY. Our engines get their famous second-wind in the upper RPM's, which is exactly where the turbo kicks in. It may be an obvious point, but just the thought of it is exciting, lol.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:32 AM
preludedriver99

It's just my opinon. I choose JE 11.5 to 1 forged pistons. It would be pretty awesome to have slapped some 9 to 1 pistons and a big turbo on my sleeved block and made 450-600 hp but seriously how streetable is that. That's why I went all motor! If I get anywhere from 270-300 flywheel hp out of it I'm going to be pumped. Golden Eagle said I shouldn't have a problem seeing those kind of numbers for what's been done and the headwork alone I've been guaranteed 40 hp! Time will tell. If I get everything back together and it puts good numbers down people can justify a all motor build a bit easier. That is the only reason I even post on forums, I like learning from others and reading others post on their experiences and setups. One would have to learn by trial and error without forums and that's not my cup of tea either!
Old 09-03-2004, 11:05 AM
cyclops755

Yeah, getting those kind of numbers with a turbo would be awsome. But with what's been said in this thread about the mods you need to safely put a turbo on, would just having 9:1 pistons and a sleeved block be enough to safely drop a turbo? Maybe someone who's got a turbo could chime in....?
Also, I've got an SH, and everyone says that they can't be turbo'd (I can't find a turbo kit either...big surprize...) Has anyone found a way to do some sort of custom job for an SH turbo, or is it just impossible to turbo one?
I HAVE found the Jackson Racing supercharger for the Prelude (SH?), is that an option for me?
Ton of questions, i know, but help me out...
Old 09-03-2004, 11:09 AM
alphaxxn
4500rpm hesitation

Originally Posted by cyclops755
I can definatly see where Preludedriver99's coming from, and although I don't know as much about all of it as he obviously does, I can still see his point. Ludes don't have it from the factory, so why force it? ....and even if you do, to do it RIGHT is big $$$.
BUT, think about it, a turbo'd VTEC would just be NASTY. Our engines get their famous second-wind in the upper RPM's, which is exactly where the turbo kicks in. It may be an obvious point, but just the thought of it is exciting, lol.

Well, the reason why youd force it would be because of your want for more HP.. pretty simple to me.

I mean, I am sure if you really wanted to , and had unlimited funds, you can easily make just as much HP on NA, but to say that a prelude running on just 4-6 psi boost is unreliable is ridiculous, unless the only experience the person who put it on has with cars is changing the tires.

Given, that if you want to run high poundage of boost youll need to do internal work , but for just a little extra oomph, stock internals will do.