Notices

1/4 Mile Times for Auto Prelude (99)

Old 08-11-2004, 08:21 AM
twin3037

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

of course the auto lude we'll do well form a roll the whole spot that the sutop lude loss's time is of the line at the launch thats the only reason the manual is faster
Old 08-11-2004, 08:27 AM
Redcivic
One of the original OG's

I doubt with a good driver there would be much of a difference between an auto lude and a 5 speed lude if they are both stock. Not to mention you can buy a good torque converter to fix the launch problem.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:41 AM
preludedriver99

Um ok! 5 speed lude equals at least a full second less than an auto lude all day long!
Originally Posted by Redcivic
I doubt with a good driver there would be much of a difference between an auto lude and a 5 speed lude if they are both stock. Not to mention you can buy a good torque converter to fix the launch problem.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:30 AM
boosted lude

Originally Posted by preludedriver99
Um ok! 5 speed lude equals at least a full second less than an auto lude all day long!
Put a decent tourque converter on a auto and itll hang with the 5 speed... Ive ridden in one with a good converter with a 3200rpm stall and it felt NO different than a 5 speed... It ran a 16.1 stock and with the converter ran a 15.5... The only reason the auto gets smoked form a stop is bc you cant launch and the converter corrects that allowing you to launch... So STFU :slap: until you know what your talkin about...
Old 08-12-2004, 06:26 AM
Redcivic
One of the original OG's

A full second between an auto and manual. I doubt it.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:36 PM
preludedriver99

Originally Posted by boosted lude
Put a decent tourque converter on a auto and itll hang with the 5 speed... Ive ridden in one with a good converter with a 3200rpm stall and it felt NO different than a 5 speed... It ran a 16.1 stock and with the converter ran a 15.5... The only reason the auto gets smoked form a stop is bc you cant launch and the converter corrects that allowing you to launch... So STFU :slap: until you know what your talkin about...
We're talking about stock for stock you idiot! Everyone in the right mind knows if you put a different stall in, it will perform.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:38 PM
Redcivic
One of the original OG's

Man....
Old 08-16-2009, 03:56 AM
Preludedriver1999

I like the comfort of using my 99 pearl white SS for my daily commute of 80 miles for school with coffee in hand half asleep at 6 in the morning and going out of my bumpy roads. If I don't spill coffee on me I'm happy. But then I still have the performance there when I want to have fun and feel sporty. all with the fantastic prelude body style. And yes it is surprising fast for an automatic, plenty of power and even low end grunt for getting around town. I feel like I'm going faster then everyone else all the time and rarely even get my car into VTEC. Then when I put it in VTEC it just roars at me and is still bone stock! Can't wait to get an intake. I think they meant for this to be a sporty automatic and that's why they made it the tiptronic. Which is really a good tranny with cool technology like the grade logic control system, I think it was just alittle ahead of its time.

Check out this press release about the honda transmissions. To learn more about the auto.

http://corporate.honda.com/press/art...20010221001321

I heard stock times were

97-01 base- 15.1-15.5
97-01 Type SH- 15.2-15.6
97-01 SS- 15.7-16.1

. So Yes the 5spd is a little faster. But not that much really anyway. I think it says more that the SS actually nearly keeps up with the 5spd then anything! Thats pretty darn good. I guess those frations of a second might seem like a lot to someone who this is like their entire life to get a second faster. But really it's not much at all. I mean what is that like 1 car length? Big deal. I like to be different also. And I think it is cool that with a few upgrades you could have a sport shift that will beat a manual. But I will admit that for road coarse racing the 5spd may be a lot better. But since I dont street race and we don't have any good race tracks where I live I really cant say. Not sure if I'll ever even push my prelude to it's limit on some twisty roads. Or why I would want to anyhow? Seems kind of immature.

the automatic prelude is actually pretty cool. Just the fact that it is all computerized and your car is shifting for you but you are choosing when to shift is a cool feeling. And I like the way it displays what gear you are in on your tach. Reminds me of the high-end cars gear indicator display. The shifts are pretty quick, there is like a 1 second delay from when you tap the shifter but then it shifts for performance you can tell. I wish it would shift alittle quicker but I bet you can modify that somehow. And in regular automatic mode it has upgraded technology that chooses when to shift for you based on what your car is doing. So basically you end up with a really good ride and perfect shifts.

after I got used to the sport shift and learned how to use it smoothly I realized its actually pretty badass. You still basically have the same power of the manual, I mean it is the same engine after all. And the cool feeling of shifting electronically and also luxury of being able to let the car take over. Like after a long day of work and sitting in traffic, or when you are on a date with a hot girl and you want to just gently cruise and concentrate on her rather then your stick shift.

And if it breaks, i'll just replace or rebuild it and put some upgrades in it. I saw this racing transmission kit http://www.importperformancetrans.co...uto.shtml#main , I wonder how good that is?Then maybe it will shift even faster, that would be cool. Haven't had a single problem with mine yet though. But I do try and take care of it because I take into account it is said to be fragile. So I don't do crazy stuff with it. And only get down on it or use sport shift every now and then. All in all I think people have gotten carried away on bashing the 5th gen SS tranny. Apparently it had some faults and they improved upon it I'm sure. its really not bad at all if its working propery. Which I think in reality most of them do work propery.

I have nothing agianst manual either. in fact I love them also I have been driving nothing but manual for the past 10 years. Thats why I'm so glad to have an automatic for all my daily driving! What a relief.. So now I can maybe take the manual out on the weekends you know? I wouldn't mind getting a manual lude SH either. One day I think I will. But I got a couple of Miata autocross cars and a street bike at the moment. And yes they are manual. I may never autocross my SS prelude. But that doesn't mean its not still a pretty cool car.

I would like to run mine at the track and see what it gets because mine runs pretty strong and shifts great.

P.S. Put a good new shift knob with a little more weight on your SS shifter makes it feel way better! They came with kinda crappy knobs.

Last edited by Preludedriver1999; 08-16-2009 at 04:58 AM.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:15 AM
Redcivic
One of the original OG's

Holy thread revival.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:55 AM
Line7
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 01blackerado
Anyone who thinks auto sucks can come race my 5.3l Silverado and I'd love to MOP the floor with you!!!!!!!! ANYBODY!!!!!! I live in V.A. with nasty humidity and heat and still run consitent 10.98 1/4 mile on my AUTOMATIC 4l80e tranns in a TRUCK and I gaurentee ill spank you like your mom would if you stole somethin!!!!!!! No manual I've seen at the tracks i go to can CONSISTANTLY run a certain time or even stay within that time all the time im talking give or take .5-1sec. Plus auto's hold more power I'd like to see you find me a tranny that is stick that will hold not only the wieght of my 4800 lb vehicle but let alone hold the 1200hp it creates out the engine 986hp at the wheels. I think not boss!!!! Dont listen to the block heads i deal with serious HP and I've looked through every tranny i could possible for reasonable price and not even a fully racebuilt 6speed vette trans could hold the power of my Stock 4l80e with just and electronic shift kit and i got PROOF!!!!!!!!
We're not talking about trucks, Chevys, 5.3 litres or 4800lb vehicles. We're talking about Auto vs Manual Preludes.

Edit: sorry, didnt see the date

Last edited by Line7; 08-21-2009 at 07:58 AM.