Notices

installed A/F gauge questions though?

Old 08-01-2002, 05:42 PM
chanluder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installed A/F gauge questions though?

hi to u all, i just installed a/f gauge and when the car is at idle it stays red then yellow, when i hit the gas it will go to green/rich all the way, so is this normal? just wondering i just got them thats all.
Old 08-02-2002, 07:29 AM
LudeBehavior

I don't know what brand you have, but most of them operate the same way. I have an Auto Meter A/F guage and it does the same thing at idle. Most A/F guages aren't designed to take accurate readings at idle because the throttle is not open, so that's why it is switching back and forth on you. They are designed to work when the throttle is open. If you open the throttle past 80% the guage should peg at rich until you let off. Under normal driving though the different colored LED's should bounce back and forth in the stoich range and it is normal to see them go a little lean or rich while they are bouncing back and forth. The reason they bounce back and forth so much is because the computer is making hundreds of adjustments a second and it is never a constant output. Also under normal driving if it registers rich all the time, you are either running too rich or you have an old and dirty O2 sensor that is messing up the reading. Either one of those problems if allowed to continue can cause major problems later on.
Old 08-02-2002, 03:34 PM
chanluder

well as u can see on my sig its a brand new lude so i dont think i have dirty o2 sensor. well its green when i gas and when i let go of the gas itll go to yellow. then red at idle k thanks