Notices

Front "shock knock" ?

Old 12-12-2003, 11:42 AM
MINI NSX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front "shock knock" ?

Anybody have this problem? I've got a popping noise in the front when I come to a complete stop, or when I take off after stopping. I can hear and feel it. I don't think it's CV joints, it's too heavy sounding for that. If it's below 40-45 degrees I hear it, if it's warmer than that, there's no noise at all! It's a '99 Base with 43,000 miles and stock suspension. I'm getting my ignition recall done Tuesday and I'm gonna have them check the front, but if it's not cold it won't do it. Any ideas?
Old 12-13-2003, 07:29 AM
hk29

I have the same issue ... not sure what it is either. I think a few of us have the same issue.

Where's this ignition recall? I have a 2000 base... TIA
Old 12-14-2003, 09:25 AM
MINI NSX

There is a recall on the ignition switch. I'm not sure if the 2000 model is in the recall or not. The dealer replaces the electrical part of the switch. This is from Autobytel.com:

Campaign Number: 02V120000 Date: 2002-May-13

Component: Electrical System: Ignition: Switch

Defect Summary: On certain sedans, coupes, hatchbacks, and sport utility vehicles, electrical contacts in the ignition switch can degrade due to the high electrical current passing through the switch when the vehicle is started.

Consequence Summary: Worn contacts could cause the engine to stall without warning, increasing the risk of a crash.

Corrective Summary: Dealers will replace the ignition switch. Owner notification began June 14, 2002. Owners who take their vehicles to an authorized dealer on an agreed upon service date and do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact Honda at 1-800-999-1009 or Acura at 1-800-382-2238.
Old 12-14-2003, 10:41 PM
blackhorse6

I have a 01 and have the same noise. Here's the kicker. Mine only happens when its real hot! I have taken it to the dealer and had the suspension lube/checked but nothing.
Old 12-15-2003, 02:21 PM
vtecguy2

let me know if u guys find out...cause my car does it too...
Old 12-18-2003, 06:48 AM
Bones45

lol..mine only happens when the AIR CONDITIONING IS ON..

go figya that one out!!!
Old 12-18-2003, 08:23 PM
MINI NSX

Well, THAT was a waste of time. The dealer did the recall on the ignition switch, but they didn't hear any noises from the front or the rear, at least not what I'm hearing. They said that the only thing that they heard in front was the ABS motor (duh! been hearing that for almost 4 years now!) and the noise in the rear was the "aftermarket exhaust hitting the lower control arm"! My exhaust is NOT hitting anything-it's the damn rear shocks! No wonder I hate to take my car into the dealer! I give up!
Old 12-25-2003, 07:35 AM
batmanlude

I had a knock but it is from the back left side around the back seat?? But nw that it is cold the nosie has gone away. Also my car is starting faster in the cold?? And If my engine isnt heated up shifting into first can make a low knock but then stops when the car is warm??
Old 12-25-2003, 10:48 AM
97 VTec Lude

once again my car is fawking up, and i think i have the same problem. It started the other day when i had to brake hard cuz someone cut me off, but whenever i stop and go i hear this horrible clunking sound, and it will also happen if i go up a curb or hit a bad bump. It has also caused the steering to change, for ex: on the interstate doing 70, let off the gas, the steering wheel will jerk a little to the left and the steering is real loose on the car, but then i give it gas, the stearing wheel kind of jerks back to the right and i have tight control on the steering. Another thing that i found out, i usually can break without holding on the the steering wheel, but now when im almost to a complete stop the wheel turns itself right pretty hard to jerk the car... i have no idea what is happening here, if someone could help me, i would appreciate it, thanks.
Old 12-27-2003, 04:00 AM
Al_r

The original symptom is possibly the control arm bushing, sounds/feels like a bad CV joint, happens only when cold. Mine was on the right side, have to replace the whole arm.