Notices

Offensive?

Old 02-10-2005, 08:29 PM
azn_redneck
Live Free Or Die

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Offensive?

I contributed this still life shot, titled "Seeds of War" to my church for use at their Long Beach Art Walk exhibit. They have decided not to use it though, because they think it might be offensive. What do you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
seedsofwar_s.jpg (156.3 KB, 227 views)
Old 02-11-2005, 04:37 AM
varyda
...::..:.::....::::..

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think people are too fcucking sensitivie
Old 02-11-2005, 06:30 AM
MilanoMan
98 Civic Ex

Originally Posted by azn_redneck
I contributed this still life shot, titled "Seeds of War" to my church for use at their Long Beach Art Walk exhibit. They have decided not to use it though, because they think it might be offensive. What do you think?
Koran>*
Old 02-11-2005, 11:28 AM
c_rogue69
wtf goes here?

I don't see anything wrong with it. It's just art...I don't know why people are so uptight.
Old 02-11-2005, 01:45 PM
loodboi
هونده بريلود

Thats not art..thats respectless
Old 02-11-2005, 07:40 PM
azn_redneck
Live Free Or Die

Originally Posted by EG6dood
Thats not art..thats respectless
What is it that I'm saying do you believe to be respectless?
Old 02-11-2005, 09:16 PM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

What is it that I'm saying do you believe to be respectless?
I am going to agree with his comment about the lack of respect.

Nothing against you but here is my reasoning...

The Koran being placed with bullets in a shot titled "Seeds of War" implies that the Koran is one of the seeds that leads to war. Considering all the things that have gone on in the last couple years it is a very sensitive concept to be playing with especially in a church organized art show. They want to be real careful as a church to not promote any interfaith disputes or prejudices that may exist or be perceived by the viewing public.

As an artist myself I probably would not have submitted that shot knowing the sensitive nature of these kinds of things.

Aside from that I really like the shot, my only critique is that I would like to see it in a less center heavy form.
Old 02-12-2005, 10:35 AM
azn_redneck
Live Free Or Die

Originally Posted by Nightshade
I am going to agree with his comment about the lack of respect.

Nothing against you but here is my reasoning...

The Koran being placed with bullets in a shot titled "Seeds of War" implies that the Koran is one of the seeds that leads to war. Considering all the things that have gone on in the last couple years it is a very sensitive concept to be playing with especially in a church organized art show. They want to be real careful as a church to not promote any interfaith disputes or prejudices that may exist or be perceived by the viewing public.

As an artist myself I probably would not have submitted that shot knowing the sensitive nature of these kinds of things.

Aside from that I really like the shot, my only critique is that I would like to see it in a less center heavy form.

OK, would your reaction be different I replaced the Koran with a Bible (and probably replace the 7.62mm Russian rounds with 5.56mm NATO rounds - but that's a minor technicality)? What about a Koran and a Torah? Or perhaps all three books?
Old 02-12-2005, 11:23 AM
v8guy
Professor

Originally Posted by Nightshade
The Koran being placed with bullets in a shot titled "Seeds of War" implies that the Koran is one of the seeds that leads to war.

OK, would your reaction be different I replaced the Koran with a Bible (and probably replace the 7.62mm Russian rounds with 5.56mm NATO rounds - but that's a minor technicality)? What about a Koran and a Torah? Or perhaps all three books?
All three books!!!!

So why is it that that fag0t Mapplethorpe can use my tax dollars to take pictures of crosses in beakers of urine & call it art yet this photo is "offensive"?
Old 02-12-2005, 03:27 PM
Nightshade
un-Touch'd krew

I would say that regardless of the holy book you use it would be met with the same objection. Even if you used all the holy books you could find it would be the same result.

The correlation between religious belief (or fervor if you will) and war is one that no religion wants to acknowledge in any way shape or form. Basically its like pissing in the holy water in front of the pope on easter....not the thing anyone really wants to tackle.

Kind of stupid but to get an idea of how offensive it is go to the catholic church and ask them for a complete history of the Inquisition....never happen because it is an embarrassment and they don't want to be associated with those archaic principles.....same goes for religion and war in general.