Notices

Offensive?

Old 02-13-2005, 10:02 AM
Omniscient
warm butter on toast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like it. Art is supposed to be provocitive. There's been questions and censorship issues in art ever since it began thousdands of years ago. As for the Koran being respectless, there's more to art that just what you see. I preceived it as organized religion, not just Islamic religion.
Old 02-13-2005, 01:20 PM
four

i think you should do a few different books with the bullets on top..not just the koran, it does seem very respectless to just seem to be downing that one religion..if you want to be fair, follow the way the movie team america did it, insult everything equally.
Old 02-13-2005, 02:54 PM
Omniscient
warm butter on toast

He could have used Islam stamped shells on a bible and It'd be equally "offensive". It's hard to please people.
Old 02-13-2005, 04:29 PM
azn_redneck
Live Free Or Die

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nightshade
I would say that regardless of the holy book you use it would be met with the same objection. Even if you used all the holy books you could find it would be the same result.

The correlation between religious belief (or fervor if you will) and war is one that no religion wants to acknowledge in any way shape or form. Basically its like pissing in the holy water in front of the pope on easter....not the thing anyone really wants to tackle.

Kind of stupid but to get an idea of how offensive it is go to the catholic church and ask them for a complete history of the Inquisition....never happen because it is an embarrassment and they don't want to be associated with those archaic principles.....same goes for religion and war in general.
Good points. Let's call it not so good an idea and leave it at that. My church used several other shots I took (all similar still lifes), and I guess I will continue to contribute shots as long as they do the art walk. I will simply choose less controversial compositions. Thanks all for the feedback.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:18 AM
Intrepid241

Nice shot...in bad taste to some.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:35 AM
JL95AccorD

Originally Posted by EG6dood
Thats not art..thats respectless
umm... don't you mean disrespectful?
Old 03-11-2005, 10:44 AM
yeedatoy
Banned

yeah,thts def. more offensive than catholic priests molesting little boys.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:03 AM
gutterslide

these are the seeds of war.

as an atheist, the photo isn't offensive to me. it just shows ignorance.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:32 AM
oc_civic
mcc racing

Originally Posted by azn_redneck
I contributed this still life shot, titled "Seeds of War" to my church for use at their Long Beach Art Walk exhibit. They have decided not to use it though, because they think it might be offensive. What do you think?

i think that its a great picture... i think that its true.. THAT holy book along with OTHER holy books have driven MANY to war or acts equally bad... i think that the title is what makes the piece iffy.. if the title is to imply that you believe all readers of the book would be driven to violence then its stupid and wrong.. if the meaning is intended to bring about the irony of war resulting in the following of religion to the extreme level, then the title is DEAD ON.. i mean lets face it.. **** the people you piss off.. art is going to do that sometimes... i think that it would be nice to clearly show two holy books and maybe add another who’s title is not clear... this would send the message but leave the rest up to interpretation.. it would show that you are not DIRECTLY implying any one given book..
Old 03-29-2005, 06:18 PM
GenXer
Registered Honda user

Originally Posted by gutterslide
these are the seeds of war.

as an atheist, the photo isn't offensive to me. it just shows ignorance.
I think it's more along the lines of the attached. (It's inherent in our specie) Religion or not, war would happen anyway.

Yeah, I agree with Nightshade that it's probably not something a church would want to display, despite the fact that it would probably be spot on in regard to violent extremist groups.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
brain.jpg (1.6 KB, 18 views)