Notices
On Topic Serious discussion and debate. No nonsense will be tolerated.

Required community service for middle, high school & college students?

Old 11-09-2008, 01:42 PM
dubcac
I

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowRolla
Seriously, is 50 hours of bettering your community really that much to ask for, even if it was required? Most kids watch 25 hours of television in ONE week. I dont really see this as any different then sending your child to school. Sure they dont like it, but they learn from it and are glad they did it when they are older.
What about the kid that goes to school all day, has sports after school, HW after that, and works weekends?

Originally Posted by Epoch
And taxpayers live in the community where these community programs will be in place. It's a direct return back to the taxpayers.
IMO, this community service will only affect a minority of the taxpayers, depending on what the community service is. Besides, the result of the taxes is your kid going to the public school...that is as direct as you can get.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:33 PM
lil_1_2002

Originally Posted by SlowRolla
Seriously, is 50 hours of bettering your community really that much to ask for, even if it was required? Most kids watch 25 hours of television in ONE week. I dont really see this as any different then sending your child to school. Sure they dont like it, but they learn from it and are glad they did it when they are older.
Apparently it IS too much to ask for.

Originally Posted by dubcac
What about the kid that goes to school all day, has sports after school, HW after that, and works weekends?

of a school of 1000 students not all those have sports and i'm sure they can accomodate or work around that, its 50 hrs for crying out loud.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:37 PM
qtiger

Originally Posted by Epoch
Oh no. An administration that listens to the input of the citizens and makes adjustments of policy to best suit the american public. How terrifying.
Here in America, you're not allowed to change your mind about anything, ever. Otherwise you're a dirty flip flopper.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:39 PM
RicoD
Pull my finger

Originally Posted by Joe
Sounds good for the community but really annoying for students.
Students that work full time h:
Old 11-10-2008, 05:36 AM
å
åhhhhh

its been like that here in canada (ontario at least) for a while... you need 40 hours community service over your 4 years to graduate highschool. There is no incentive like money or tax refunds. Nobody seems to be complaining.

I did mine with the Boy Scouts.
My brother did his with Salvation Army.

:dunno:
Old 11-10-2008, 06:08 AM
RicoD
Pull my finger

So lets say you can't perform community service because of a disability.... do you still get financial help? Because you know someone will bitch about that.... h: