Notices
On Topic Serious discussion and debate. No nonsense will be tolerated.

Required community service for middle, high school & college students?

Old 11-07-2008, 12:19 PM
reno96teg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony
Yup because countless upon countless of us can't do our own research? Figure out facts for ourselves? Look at their platforms and decide? I guess not?
you're joking, right? do you really believe that most votes (on either side) came from informed voters?
Old 11-07-2008, 12:19 PM
spanky
I go duffy on dem bitches

Yup because countless upon countless of us can't do our own research? Figure out facts for ourselves? Look at their platforms and decide? I guess not? The media made me choose who I wanted for President, not myself.
Did I single you out? Why must you take it so personal?

Oh, nevermind. :hsugh:
Old 11-07-2008, 12:23 PM
Anthony
ZOMG Pew Pew Laserbeams

Originally Posted by reno96teg
you're joking, right? do you really believe that most votes (on either side) came from informed voters?
No I don't believe that many voters are informed, but don't blame the shortfalls of one candidate because you perceive the media was mishandling them.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:34 PM
Nec

so back to forced community service - only i can make a slave my own child -

:crazyr: :slap: :hsughr: :nec: :madr:
Old 11-07-2008, 12:35 PM
spanky

No I don't believe that many voters are informed, but don't blame the shortfalls of one candidate because you perceive the media was mishandling them.
Perceive? :rofl:

Anyone with half a brain could realize the bias that was present.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:40 PM
Anthony
ZOMG Pew Pew Laserbeams

Originally Posted by spanky
Perceive? :rofl:

Anyone with half a brain could realize the bias that was present.
I don't get your big issue with this. The media does it's job and presents material for its target audience. If they're target audience consists of liberals then they slant liberal in how they portray it. You don't have to watch it, or read it. People who are disgusted by what they read don't read that stuff anymore, if you think you can't turn away or turn it off then I think that's your problem. There is Fox, like you said, if that's more of what you like to hear then so be it. Like I said don't blame the media for a mishandled Campaign. Sarah Palin was a complete joke after 10 minutes, ask plenty of people. The media did nothing, she fucked it up herself.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:57 PM
spanky

I don't get your big issue with this. The media does it's job and presents material for its target audience. If they're target audience consists of liberals then they slant liberal in how they portray it. You don't have to watch it, or read it. People who are disgusted by what they read don't read that stuff anymore, if you think you can't turn away or turn it off then I think that's your problem. There is Fox, like you said, if that's more of what you like to hear then so be it. Like I said don't blame the media for a mishandled Campaign. Sarah Palin was a complete joke after 10 minutes, ask plenty of people. The media did nothing, she fucked it up herself.
We'll just have to agree to disagree on that.

How about the original topic?

You're cool with your children being forced to do community service?
Old 11-07-2008, 01:01 PM
lil_1_2002

50-100 hrs is not alot, im doing 450 hrs this school year and i'm getting a stipend from americorps for 1250 for those hours and thats doesnt seem to bad, im sure thats in addition to financial aid $. oh and i do a 16 hrs a week for 30 weeks
Old 11-07-2008, 01:04 PM
spanky

Originally Posted by lil_1_2002
50-100 hrs is not alot, im doing 450 hrs this school year and i'm getting a stipend from americorps for 1250 for those hours and thats doesnt seem to bad, im sure thats in addition to financial aid $. oh and i do a 16 hrs a week for 30 weeks
That's not even the point but I'm sure you know that.

"Required"

You're doing that because you choose to. Give people the choice to earn the 4k that he says he's going to give.

Do not require it.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:09 PM
Anthony
ZOMG Pew Pew Laserbeams

Originally Posted by spanky
We'll just have to agree to disagree on that.

How about the original topic?

You're cool with your children being forced to do community service?
Well I think it'll build a community attachment/bond and help build character. If they make it optional or have some sort of credit that can be applied somewhere I think it will be alright. I did some community service back in high school and met some interesting people and it gave me some perspective into how much I was doing for some. I think it brings the best out in people, at least through my experience. Mandatory? Probably not, at least offer people incentives h:. I do think it is kind of a step in the direction of building communities and understanding though, we as American's have become highly disconnected with each other.