Notices
On Topic Serious discussion and debate. No nonsense will be tolerated.

How has Obama been able to distance himself from...

Old 10-09-2008, 01:12 PM
DakarM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony
Well you win some, you lose some. Seems the biggest loser of this inaction is the public, their constituents. There is plenty of blame to go around but I don't think pointing fingers will help, and I believe that was the entire intent of this post was about.
i agree, the public always loses.

it would be interesting to see how many incumbents get reelected. I remember one election back in the early 90's when a big chunk of the CA state reps were replaced with new ones.
LCD Squad #0001
Originally Posted by WiLL
...I really wanna get out and shoot people.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:14 PM
indy_93accordex

Originally Posted by Epoch

Flawed premise #3:
It's a logically fallacy argument to automatically assume bills are flawed, and is a dishonest assumption that Barack Obama will not veto bills he does find flawed.

http://www.opencongress.org/people/s...9_barack_obama
Most often votes with: Sen. Frank Lautenberg [D, NJ]
Republican most often votes with: Sen. Olympia Snowe [R, ME]
Votes with party: 96%

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/person.xpd?id=400629
Obama is a rank-and-file Democrat according to GovTrack's own analysis of bill sponsorship.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:26 PM
Anthony
ZOMG Pew Pew Laserbeams

Yes but you do realize that filibusters restrict you from even getting to the veto point. The 110th Congress has far surpassed the record usage of filibusters.

Forgot to add, you typically don't veto your own party, which has been at the Congressional Majority 6 out of 8 years. In addition, if you didn't realize the Republican's were going to change how filibusters work and their constitutionality, in essence strong arming the minority party.

Here's the wiki link to it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filibus...Senate_history

In 2005, a group of Republican senators led by Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist (R-TN), responding to the Democrats' threat to filibuster some judicial nominees of President George W. Bush to prevent a vote on the nominations, floated the idea of making a rules change to eliminate filibusters on judicial nominees with the justification that the current Senate rules allowing such filibusters are unconstitutional. Senator Trent Lott, the junior Republican senator from Mississippi, named the plan the "nuclear option." Republican leaders later referred to the plan as the "constitutional option," though opponents and some supporters of the plan continue to use "nuclear option."

Last edited by Anthony; 10-09-2008 at 01:44 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:37 PM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

How Obama votes does not address the fact that there's logical faults with your arguement.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:10 AM
Bl@ck
Sinner

Originally Posted by Epoch

Flawed premise #3:
It's a logically fallacy argument to automatically assume bills are flawed, and is a dishonest assumption that Barack Obama will not veto bills he does find flawed.
There's a long history of pork and riders on nearly every bill that passes the house and senate. Perhaps it's a cynical viewpoint but i really don't think it's a logical fallacy to take that into account.

To the second point of this statement that it's a dishonest assumption that Obama will not veto bills he finds flawed; I personally think that with his track record of being completely rank and file, he will pass and veto each and every bill that the DNC tells him to.