Notices
On Topic Serious discussion and debate. No nonsense will be tolerated.

How has Obama been able to distance himself from...

Old 10-09-2008, 12:20 PM
indy_93accordex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How has Obama been able to distance himself from...

How has Obama been able to distance himself from Congress?

http://www.gallup.com/poll/108856/Co...ordLow-14.aspx

July 16, 2008
Congressional Approval Hits Record-Low 14%

by Lydia Saad
PRINCETON, NJ -- Congress' job approval rating has dropped five percentage points over the past month, from 19% in June to 14% in July, making the current reading the lowest congressional job approval rating in the 34-year Gallup Poll history of asking the question. The previous low was 18%, last reached in May.

The 75% currently disapproving of Congress is just shy of the record-high 78% in March 1992.

Bottom Line

As economic conditions in the country are worsening, Congress is taking the brunt of it. Since the start of the year, public approval of Congress has fallen from 23% to 14%, while approval of President George W. Bush has been more stable: 32% approved of the job he was doing in early January versus 31% today, with a range of just 28% to 34%.
A Congress (securely run by the Democrat party) that has performed at a 14 percent approval rating does NOT need to be rewarded.

Our system of "CHECKS and BALANCES" only works when the president and congress are members of different parties.

Will the candidate that you support VETO the inappropriate bills that WILL come out of the House and Senate???
Old 10-09-2008, 12:41 PM
Anthony
ZOMG Pew Pew Laserbeams

Dammit I need to quote myself again. Some of you don't understand how Congress/Vetos/Filibusters work.

People need to stop citing that "democrats have control of congress" crap

233 democrats to 203 republicans in the House and 51 to 49 in the Senate, so a minor majority. They can't override a filibuster with those numbers. A bill has to get through both the house and the senate and then make it past the presidents desk, so even if it gets through the House and the Senate the President can veto it. From that point if there is no Super Majority, 2/3rds of both House and Senate it can't be passed. So don't place blame on all of the Democrats because they don't have enough controlling votes to block filibusters (3/5ths to override here) or override vetoes (2/3rds to override here). So yes you can blame Bush for vetoing a lot of the bills that get on his desk.
It is not control if you can't pass a bill or get any bills passed because you constantly get filibustered or vetoed and you don't have enough votes to override it.
Go look up how many times President Bush has used his veto and how many filibusters have been initiated in the last 2 years in Congress. Inform yourself with the truth, not half-truths of propaganda.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:43 PM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

Originally Posted by indy_93accordex
How has Obama been able to distance himself from Congress?

http://www.gallup.com/poll/108856/Co...ordLow-14.aspx

A Congress (securely run by the Democrat party) that has performed at a 14 percent approval rating does NOT need to be rewarded.

Our system of "CHECKS and BALANCES" only works when the president and congress are members of different parties.

Will the candidate that you support VETO the inappropriate bills that WILL come out of the House and Senate???
Let's start with your flawed premise #1:

Straw man argument. Explain how a senate of 49 democrats, 49 republicans, and two independents, and a house with a 53.5% constitute "Securely run by the Democrat party"? There's no fillibuster overrule and no way they can get a 2/3rd majority to override a veto with a GOP rank and file in the way

Answer to flawed premise #2:
Systems of checks and balances work fine when both parties are of the same persuasion when they respect the constitution. "Checks and balances" aren't designed so that both parties have equal say: Checks and balances are set to prevent one branch of government from overstepping their constitutional ability.

Flawed premise #3:
It's a logically fallacy argument to automatically assume bills are flawed, and is a dishonest assumption that Barack Obama will not veto bills he does find flawed.

Now let me propose a counterpoint: Isn't about time we routed the party from office who had nearly complete control of the government for 6 of the last 8 years, and during that time:

Put us into a war in a country that had nothing to do with the attacks on us during 9/11
Ran our country into financial ruin through ineffective tax breaks?
Violated 4th amendment rights
Eavesdroped illegally
Put our nation's intelligence agents at risk over political reasons
Rolled back environmental protections
Questonably fired US legal representatives on political grounds
Enacted a universally criticized educational reform that has hamstringed the educational system
Fiscally enforced an abstinence-only sex ed program
Refuses to explore stem cell technology
Proposed (in limited cases) to teach creationist hubbub in science classes

I could continue for a while to list the things that infuriate me with the current GOP people in power, but I have some work to do.

Last edited by Epoch; 10-09-2008 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:44 PM
DakarM

What what you say is a fact Anthony, the Demos ran for reelection on what they were going to do better and make changes. It's the Demos promise that is not being kept. They must have known that if they didn't have super majority then it would be harder to get things "done" but they failed to mention that part.
LCD Squad #0001
Originally Posted by WiLL
...I really wanna get out and shoot people.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:48 PM
Epoch
CHRISTMASTIME IN IRAQ

Originally Posted by DakarM
What what you say is a fact Anthony, the Demos ran for reelection on what they were going to do better and make changes. It's the Demos promise that is not being kept. They must have known that if they didn't have super majority then it would be harder to get things "done" but they failed to mention that part.
Well, let's see what happens.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...lections,_2008

There's more Republican incumbents up for reelection in senate this time around. Let's see what will happen if we have a Dem Senate, house, and Presidency... Maybe congress can finally get things done?

And yeah, the Dems came in with the promise of change, but the republicans bear an equal share of the blame in this situation.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:54 PM
DakarM

Originally Posted by Epoch
Well, let's see what happens.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...lections,_2008

There's more Republican incumbents up for reelection in senate this time around. Let's see what will happen if we have a Dem Senate, house, and Presidency... Maybe congress can finally get things done?

And yeah, the Dems came in with the promise of change, but the republicans bear an equal share of the blame in this situation.
as does the dems in previous years. if we have dem sen/ho/pre still nothing will get done. or all our taxes will go up and unemployment will also rise.
LCD Squad #0001
Old 10-09-2008, 12:57 PM
Anthony
ZOMG Pew Pew Laserbeams

Can't change anything when you are constantly filibustered/vetoed. Just cause you attempt to and you get shot down, doesn't mean you didn't try to change. It's just disheartening to see that people don't understand how any of these processes work and take the shortcut and try to shortsightedly blame a majority which isn't really a true majority in the sense of getting votes passed. I'm just tired of people not seeking the truth and instead only looking at the shortcuts provided them.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:00 PM
DakarM

Originally Posted by Anthony
Can't change anything when you are constantly filibustered/vetoed. Just cause you attempt to and you get shot down, doesn't mean you didn't try to change. It's just disheartening to see that people don't understand how any of these processes work and take the shortcut and try to shortsightedly blame a majority which isn't really a true majority in the sense of getting votes passed. I'm just tired of people not seeking the truth and instead only looking at the shortcuts provided them.
i agree with you on that. I've heard democrats and republicans make the same arguments and it's true some of the time.

but the fact is, people are dumb, you tell them if we in majority we will make change, people will believe you. regardless of if you're really able to make changes or not.
LCD Squad #0001
Old 10-09-2008, 01:09 PM
Anthony
ZOMG Pew Pew Laserbeams

Well you win some, you lose some. Seems the biggest loser of this inaction is the public, their constituents. There is plenty of blame to go around but I don't think pointing fingers will help, and I believe that was the entire intent of this post was about.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:12 PM
indy_93accordex

Originally Posted by Anthony
Go look up how many times President Bush has used his veto...
http://uspolitics.about.com/od/elect...Bush-Vetos.htm
As of May 2008, President Bush has vetoed only 10 bills since taking office in January 2001; only one occurred before Democrats took control of Congress in January 2007. This is the fewest of any modern President; in March 2006 Bush set a 200 year veto record. Source: US Senate.
http://www.senate.gov/reference/Legi...oes/BushGW.htm
List of Vetoes by President George W. Bush

President George W. Bush has vetoed twelve bills.