Notices
On Topic Serious discussion and debate. No nonsense will be tolerated.

What should I get for a project car?

Old 08-21-2007, 08:19 PM
BlueByYouuu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should I get for a project car?

Alright well I am coming from a 2005 Dodge SRT-4. I sold the car because though I loved it, I always wished I was in an E46 M3 or an EVO. I figured I'd but a cheap reliable daily driver and call it good so I could catch up my bills and ditch the instant gratification for what I REALLY wanted. Well, that's getting old very quickly. A friend of mine did the same thing recently and ended up picking up a 2003 Acura RSX Type S, his second time owning one.

I have been thinking lately of picking up a car between $3-6,000 or so... to clean up, modify and race. When I say race I don't mean bumble bee street race with a JDM tyte car yo... NO! I mean something that I can daily drive but also have fun at track events with and hone my skills so when I DO get my beauty I am that much better and much more capable at driving it to the limit.

I have considered a lot of different cars, anything from FWD Honda/Acura... to an E30 3 Series BMW. I am very open minded but just can't seem to pin point anything just yet so I need some help. Heres the criteria...

What I want in the car:

-I want a car that is reliable and can take some abuse without crapping out on me, I don't plan on driving the car until it pukes out fluids because I beat it down so badly, but I don't plan on babying it either. I need something that doesn't get BUTT HURT because it was driven aggressively

-I want something that handles well out of the box, and can be or is known to be a good contender with little suspension modification (I don't want to bother with something too difficult to make handle well ie. dump truck into go kart)

-It has to be somewhat attractive or have potential to be attractive with the right touch... ( a ford festiva does not fall into this catagory, neither does a kia rio... you get the picture. The woman may have a great personality but you can't teach ugly to be pretty)

-I need a car that has a strong motor, drivetrain... (I'll pass on glass transmissions and weak sauce internals or blocks... I need something that can handle more HP if I decide to go that route or something that can handle tracking and daily driving too)

-Must not be like trying to find a needle in a hay stack (I need something that isn't something rare and impossible to find)

-RWD or AWD is pref but FWD can work too

-$3000-6000 budget

-Nothing that will be in the garage more than out playing or being used as DD transportation (DSM, probably not a good idea?)

-Not a fix er upper... but more of a clean er upper, I'm not taking on a restoration project here.

What have you guys got for me? If anything... PS: No Miata they are too dinky
Old 08-21-2007, 08:50 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Moved to On Topic.
There isn't enough here to make this relevant to the Integra forum.

So you want RWD for under $6K, with decent handling and the ability take significant increases in power. You can rule out any WRX or EVO at that budget. Frankly, that budget is a killer. h:

With California prices, $6K will get you a decent 94-97 Nissan 240SX. But you'll need to spend anywhere between $3K and 5K to either turbocharge the KA24DE motor or swap in the SR20DET from it's Japanese cousin, the Silvia.

Another option would be a late model Mustang, but again with $6K as your cap, you're limiting yourself to high-mileage fix-er-uppers. A shop-worn Mustang will eat another $3K in repairs easily.

Another thing to consider is what auto-x class you want to compete in and what limits that will place on your modifications. You can have plenty of fun in the slower run groups, but then all your aesthetic concerns come into play.

I have no idea what cars you consider ugly.
Would a 96-01 Civic pass your test?
Or a early 90s Prelude?

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!

Last edited by TheOtherDave™; 08-21-2007 at 09:08 PM.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:57 PM
CrazyX

Sounds like this guy hasn't been around hondas much at all... BUY AN EK or an EG or a DC4 / DC2!!
Old 08-31-2007, 04:52 PM
ISP James
DAMIMRED

old wisdom:

cheap & reliable is not fast
cheap & fast is not reliable
fast & reliable is not cheap

i appreciate that you want to have something fun that is also affordable, i would love to find the same for myself but its easier said than done.... in my personal experience, the most fun out of the box car that i've owned or driven was my 2nd gen integra.... i had a 1990 LS and the stock suspension/chassis was uncomfortably stiff, the engine platform is a solid starting point, and they have long term dependability.

something else to consider, especially if you are interested in auto crossing, an early-mid 90's vw. the 2.0 was a slow pig but very reliable and the chassis' were solid. something like a corrado or gti would suit your needs x10 and with a corrado, you wouldnt be handicapped by the 2.0