Notices
On Topic Serious discussion and debate. No nonsense will be tolerated.

NSA International Wiretap Program Protected Civil Liberties

Old 11-27-2006, 06:43 PM
DVPGSR
I need sleep...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up NSA International Wiretap Program Protected Civil Liberties

Link

Board members told The Associated Press they were impressed by the safeguards the government has built into the NSA's monitoring of phone calls and computer transmissions and wished the administration could tell the public more about them to ease distrust.

"If the American public, especially civil libertarians like myself, could be more informed about how careful the government is to protect our privacy while still protecting us from attacks, we'd be more reassured," said Lanny Davis, a former Clinton White House lawyer who is the board's lone liberal Democrat.
WOW!!:blue:

So all those bitching and moaning about our liberties being taken from us were wrong. :slap:
Old 11-27-2006, 07:24 PM
qtiger

The board, created by Congress but appointed by Bush
... Lanny Davis, a former Clinton White House lawyer who is the board's lone liberal Democrat.

I'm so glad I can read between the lines.

So basically, a group of people who were hand picked by the administration says the administration is doing a good job. Wow, that's a shocker.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:49 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by qtiger

So basically, a group of people who were hand picked by the administration says the administration is doing a good job. Wow, that's a shocker.
...and one liberal.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:09 PM
qtiger

Originally Posted by 98CoupeV6
...and one liberal.
A lawyer who happened to be under the employment of a liberal President. Even still, he was handpicked by the President, I'm sure specifically so he could say that the board was bipartisan.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:17 PM
Duff Man

Wire tapping under houses of lap dogs = bad

Wire tapping under houses of watch dogs = good...maybe

I still want a court order, but as long as someone is watching these guy's and making sure that they are not taking advantage of it, so be it.

Our fear was giving this adminstration too much power. A good chunk of them want to incarserate members of the press for treason and hold them under trial. A good chunk of the neo-cons in these washed up houses want many of us citizens incarcerated if we protest this president...triad as treasonist.

BTW, even Bill Maher supports wire tapping...on the contrary of this topic, I typically agree with him.

I'll shift towards the center...this is a time for compromise right?

Last edited by Duff Man; 11-27-2006 at 08:22 PM.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:39 PM
DVPGSR
I need sleep...

Originally Posted by qtiger

When you cherry pick anything is possible...
Old 11-28-2006, 05:25 AM
fjm1
G35

Originally Posted by DVPGSR
That's rich considering the original article.

Let me start with the opening line of the article "After a delay of more than a year..."

Hahahaaa, you funny DVP

If I had more than a year to cover up my nefarious activities, I'm sure I could pass a hand selected panel of "experts" scrutiny. Every one of the panel members is a shill for the current administration. Yes, I had to look a few of them up…..

I quote the article “Democrats, who are about to take over Congress in January, have been concerned the board doesn't have enough independence because the political compromise struck in late 2004 left the board under the authority of the president.”

The timing is also suspect. Both the White House and Congress are scrambling to clean up a bunch of messes before January. But the damage has already been done. The NSA has enough dirt on every man, woman, and child to place us all in their newly constructed, Halliburton approved, detention camps. We are all just "enemy combatants" awaiting indefinite incarceration without representation.

It’s a Brave New World……
Old 11-30-2006, 05:17 PM
Kestrel
Push to shock!

All I got from this article was a whole lot of nothin'
Old 11-30-2006, 05:40 PM
qtiger

Originally Posted by Duff Man
BTW, even Bill Maher supports wire tapping...on the contrary of this topic, I typically agree with him.

I'll shift towards the center...this is a time for compromise right?
I support wire tapping.

This debate is not about wiretapping. It is about illegal wiretapping. Spinning the whole debate about the wiretap into a 'wiretap or not' debate is like saying debate about Guantanamo is an argument over whether or not we should be taking prisoners.

In my opinion, the media has universally oversimplified the whole wiretap issue.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:43 PM
qtiger

Originally Posted by DVPGSR
Oh yes. I hear WMD intelligence is particularly prone to cherry picking.