Notices
On Topic Serious discussion and debate. No nonsense will be tolerated.

Worst Congress Ever?

Old 10-30-2006, 05:23 PM
Duff Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

speak of the devil.... "In Key House Races, Democrats Run to the Right"
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/30/us...th&oref=slogin
Old 10-30-2006, 08:17 PM
DVPGSR
I need sleep...

The probelm with our two party system is that both have to satisfy their base which are heavily on the extremes. While there are some things I agree with Democrats on that is more moderate it is their far left base that really scares me and prohibits me from supporting them. While I may not agree with the far right wing base all of the time there views are less threatening to me and I am much more of a conservative and traditional republican. But overall I am more moderate than anything but would be considered a "hawk" on national defense. We need more parties that are more moderate to counter balance the extremes.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:47 PM
Duff Man

Originally Posted by DVPGSR
The probelm with our two party system is that both have to satisfy their base which are heavily on the extremes. While there are some things I agree with Democrats on that is more moderate it is their far left base that really scares me and prohibits me from supporting them. While I may not agree with the far right wing base all of the time there views are less threatening to me and I am much more of a conservative and traditional republican. But overall I am more moderate than anything but would be considered a "hawk" on national defense. We need more parties that are more moderate to counter balance the extremes.
and unfortunetly, the american people aren't questioning the two party system but rather, changing the two existing parties. I don't get it...I really don't understand. Republicans are the radicals, democrats are the conservatives...it's simply mind boggeling.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:47 AM
fjm1
G35

Originally Posted by Duff Man
and unfortunetly, the american people aren't questioning the two party system but rather, changing the two existing parties. I don't get it...I really don't understand. Republicans are the radicals, democrats are the conservatives...it's simply mind boggeling.
And that is the beauty of the system that our elite have put in place for us. It gives the illusion of a democracy without any of the real benefits. I am convinced that there is no longer a functional government. Only special interests and big money.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:49 AM
DVPGSR
I need sleep...

Originally Posted by Duff Man
I would not say that Republicans are radical or Democrats are conservative...that there is a very big stretch.

However, I have been questioning the 2 party system for a long time. My cousin and a clsoe friend of ours have been debating this in a LONG Gmail thread for quite some time. My cousin is a moderate leaning to the right, the friend is left on social issues, right on the economy (he is an ardent capitalist that has made millions starting his own companies and is now in Columbia showing others how to do it) and you guys know where I stand. We have a pretty good mix and some good conversations and I really feel that if the House of representatives was more of a parliamentary system where different parties can get seats based on the number of votes garnered it would be a lot better. The Senate needs to stay so that each state has two representatives in government.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:49 AM
fjm1
G35

Originally Posted by jaje
I think when a Democrat is in office a Republican Majority Congress is needed, and vice versa. That way the 2 most effective branches of gov't do not abuse their authority.
Agreed!
Old 11-08-2006, 06:23 AM
jaje
HC Racer H5

Well the house is controlled by the Democrats (GOOD!)...looks like the Senate is a toss up with MT and VA in the balance. If those 2 seats go to the democrats it will be a sweep of the legislative branch.

I'm hoping we can get things resolved. Start striking down some very stupid legislation (to my dismay) that's been passed in the last 6 years.

Stop focusing on gay marriage and using "fear" to scare the popultion. Instead we need to look at our economy (record deficit), energy dependence, global warming, and a viable exit strategy in Iraq (I'm of the opinion that the only way Iraq can work is to divide it up by the ethnic groups and build walls to separate them).

Bush got an emphatic "you are doing a bad job" voter turnout as many republican voters stayed home rather than even vote.