Notices
On Topic Serious discussion and debate. No nonsense will be tolerated.

Worst Congress Ever?

Old 10-29-2006, 05:13 PM
Kestrel
Push to shock!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worst Congress Ever?

Article by Rolling Stone. Not academic, but still an interesting read. Oh, and long

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics..._congress_ever

IBReno
IB98CoupeV6
IBDVPGSR
h:
Old 10-29-2006, 06:58 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm on page 2 and I've already read enough Karl Rove conspiracy for a month.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:09 PM
Kestrel
Push to shock!

Figured that's what you would say. It goes a lot deeper than just conspiracies...basically pointing out that loyalty to parties has tainted Congress' ability to do anything.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:35 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

The funny part is...that it's always been like this. I've recently started reading a lot of books on the Revolution and the early American political system...and it's always been this way.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:38 PM
Duff Man

...at the same time, congress in 92 and 93 kissed clintons ass and made a lot of mistakes that hurt our country. IMO, there needs to be checks and balances. Congress needs to check the administration....worst ever? I would prefer saying that it's been the worst mixture of congress and an administration in the last 40 years that has lasted longer then 2 years.. I don't think it's the worst congress, but far too much has gone unchecked and this administration has been awarded far too much power then it should.

This happened with Reagon as well. Congress checked the reagon administration. While I disagree with a lot of the Reagon administrations agenda, I appreciate the fact that both houses checked him.

We have gone 6 years without any sort of checks or anything that has balanced. If this continues, we will....and I warn...WILL turn into a fascist dictatorship and become a fallen empire.

Last edited by Duff Man; 10-29-2006 at 07:41 PM.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:51 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by Duff Man
...at the same time, congress in 92 and 93 kissed clintons ass and made a lot of mistakes that hurt our country. IMO, there needs to be checks and balances. Congress needs to check the administration....worst ever? I would prefer saying that it's been the worst mixture of congress and an administration in the last 40 years that has lasted longer then 2 years.. I don't think it's the worst congress, but far too much has gone unchecked and this administration has been awarded far too much power then it should.

This happened with Reagon as well. Congress checked the reagon administration. While I disagree with a lot of the Reagon administrations agenda, I appreciate the fact that both houses checked him.

We have gone 6 years without any sort of checks or anything that has balanced. If this continues, we will....and I warn...WILL turn into a fascist dictatorship and become a fallen empire.
Great post. But how do we stop it? Very few politicans today seem to have any moral ground or willingness to uphold the principles that this country was founded upon.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:08 PM
Duff Man

Originally Posted by 98CoupeV6
Great post. But how do we stop it? Very few politicans today seem to have any moral ground or willingness to uphold the principles that this country was founded upon.
It's funny that you mention this, and you may disagree with what I'm going to say, but we need a democratic majority in both houses. And even if you do not agree with me, many of the individuals running have abandoned there republican party and are now running as democrats. I would have to say that at least 30% of the democrats running for house seats are ex-republicans and true conservatives....and this spans across all 50 states. Even in texas, there are at least two dem's running that literally switched parties in the past 6 months because of the radical anti-conservative mess that this administration has gotten away with. And maybe I'm going to far by saying this, but I'm begining to think that we are amidst a party shift that hasn't happened in more then 30 years. Democrats are now becoming the conservative party (with the exception of liberals: fiengold, kerry, edwards, kennedy...) a massive movement is taking place and true conservatives are incredibly worried about the incompetent spending, the deficit, and the fleecing of america.

I feel bad for you guys...republicans are now catagorized as corporate sell outs. True conservatives are actually concerned with what is taking place and are sick of this pork barrel spending and this economy that is slapped together with bubble gum and duct tape.

Last edited by Duff Man; 10-29-2006 at 08:11 PM.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:15 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by Duff Man
It's funny that you mention this, and you may disagree with what I'm going to say, but we need a democratic majority in both houses. And even if you do not agree with me, many of the individuals running have abandoned there republican party and are now running as democrats. I would have to say that at least 30% of the democrats running for house seats are ex-republicans and true conservatives....and this spans across all 50 states. Even in texas, there are at least two dem's running that literally switched parties in the past 6 months because of the radical anti-conservative mess that this administration has gotten away with. And maybe I'm going to far by saying this, but I'm begining to think that we are amidst a party shift that hasn't happened in more then 30 years. Democrats are now becoming the conservative party (with the exception of liberals: fiengold, kerry, edwards, kennedy...) a massive movement is taking place and true conservatives are incredibly worried about the incompetent spending, the deficit, and the fleecing of america.

I feel bad for you guys...republicans are now catagorized as corporate sell outs. True conservatives are actually concerned with what is taking place and are sick of this pork barrel spending and this economy that is slapped together with bubble gum and duct tape.
Yeah...we totally need a viable third party that does away with either the democrat or republican party. There are at least four huge factions of political thinking right now...true conservative, modern "conservative", conservative democrat, and liberal.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:18 PM
Duff Man

Originally Posted by 98CoupeV6
Yeah...we totally need a viable third party that does away with either the democrat or republican party. There are at least four huge factions of political thinking right now...true conservative, modern "conservative", conservative democrat, and liberal.
Holy shit stop the press! Me and 98 agree LOL!
Old 10-30-2006, 08:03 AM
jaje
HC Racer H5

we have 3 branches of gov't (judicial / legislative / executive) which each have different levels of focus...and this is the premise of the checks/balances system

unfortunately we only have two branches of politicians (there is no middle party only liberal or conservative and those who are "moderate" are left no real means to get proper representation)...right now we have an far right wing white house and we have a right wing leaning congress lead by far right win extremists (meaning that 2 of the checks are now in concert only leaving the judicial branch as the last resort)

I think when a Democrat is in office a Republican Majority Congress is needed, and vice versa. That way the 2 most effective branches of gov't do not abuse their authority.