Notices
On Topic Serious discussion and debate. No nonsense will be tolerated.

Guns in school....legally

Old 10-10-2006, 08:19 PM
Duff Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guns in school....legally

My home state of Wisconsin is about to debate legistlation for High school/Jr High (I guess it's limitless no matter what the grade...) staff members to carry concealed weapons.

This year....ugh...this past 2 weeks alone, we've had multiple scares, all very very serious and far too close for comfort (one came as close as an outcome that would have been far worse then Colombine), and we all know about the Amish school shooting, the Principle that was killed in a school shooting (30 miles south west of me in my home state), and tons of other incidences across the country. IMO, it's an epedemic that seems to escalate each year.

On the flip side, It seems that Urban schools with metal detectors are making these schools safer, however, the cost and flaws make this uneffective.

IMO, and I know many of you will be suprised, I think school staff should carry. It barely affects the local budget (espeacially when compared to the cost of metal detectors and appointing individuals to run them).

Of course, parents are going to worry that the high school will have fire arms in it, but it's a small price to pay when troubled kids are shooting up students and staff.

It's an interesting debate that I usually stear away from. I'm not a fan of hand guns, but I'm a firm believer in the constitution. — and I've had few friends that collect guns and simply love the sport. Regardless, lets keep it on topic and relatively specific to schools.

Oddly enough, my quaint small town high school actually had a detective on staff. His office was in our school. This was enacted in 96'...over a decade ago — for whatever it's worth. If this could be done in every school, I would applaud it. I'm pro-law enforcement carrying hand guns in public as well as retired officers, off-duty officers, military officers with speacial clauses, etc. In a controlled environment like a school, it's a massive preventative. I didn't like the detective on staff, but there will never *knocks on wood* be a school shooting in my high school.

Can every school afford an on duty officer though? What happens when he's called on duty through out the day? It becomes inconsistent. Why not appoint one staff member the duty of that officer? Train them...extensively BTW....and lets get this thing resolved.

Last edited by Duff Man; 10-10-2006 at 08:22 PM.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:00 PM
DVPGSR
I need sleep...

Although I am a big supporter of the 2nd ammendment, a card carrying member of the NRA, a concealed carry permit holder, and gun owner I am not sure how I feel about this. On one hand I think everyone should own a gun, but on the other I look at all the idiots out there and shudder at the thought. I do think there should be only one way into a school that is monitored closely with possibly an armed guard but you are right, that would be costly. It is tough paying teachers a good salary now, let alone provide funding for a guard that in all honesty most schools will never, ever need. I am open to it but need to learn more before I make a decision either way.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:28 PM
Duff Man

Originally Posted by DVPGSR
Although I am a big supporter of the 2nd ammendment, a card carrying member of the NRA, a concealed carry permit holder, and gun owner I am not sure how I feel about this. On one hand I think everyone should own a gun, but on the other I look at all the idiots out there and shudder at the thought. I do think there should be only one way into a school that is monitored closely with possibly an armed guard but you are right, that would be costly. It is tough paying teachers a good salary now, let alone provide funding for a guard that in all honesty most schools will never, ever need. I am open to it but need to learn more before I make a decision either way.
Why not make it cost effective and appoint a staff member. This individual could be a teacher, a janitor, a front office individual, the football coach...etc? Keep it annonymous and train them extensively.

And as a second option, why not have a lock box (similar to a fire extinguisher but with limited access) for such incidences?

excuse my spelling...long day and I'm sick of re-editing.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:21 AM
DarkDB1

I dont like the idea... Hand guns.

There are going to be over reaction's, A kid has a knife... Teacher's only weapon is the gun... What's he/she going to do? Shoot the kid with a simple knife?.

Can a teacher actually come to term's with shooting one of their students?...

Why not tazer guns or something.