Notices
On Topic Serious discussion and debate. No nonsense will be tolerated.

What is the best car for racing for under $6k?

Old 10-19-2006, 06:16 PM
KarrNtegGSR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Buyimports2
you can't have a race car that is reliable
I kind like a race car that I could spend more time making it faster and better. Rather than spending all my time fixing an unreliable pos.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:00 PM
Duff Man

Originally Posted by KarrNtegGSR
I never heard of them. Who makes them?
The DSM's pride and joy...Mitsubishi Starion slash "/" Chrystler Conquest....some of the fastest 4 bangers to ever run a straight line. They are still around and parts are still traded. And they have a chassi that is built for some wicked cone chasing too.

But, on the flip side, im posting this on a Honda board and I'm expecting some nasty DSM flames LOL

Then again, some folks are talking about the lazer....the lazer, talon, and early gen eclipse is a run down DSM version of the Starion and Conquest.

a quick google image search:

Last edited by Duff Man; 10-19-2006 at 09:05 PM.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:13 AM
Hambone

I rather put tt rotary RX-7 in miata if it will fit. But I do like Fords for there trucks, the 60's & new Shelby Mustang GT500, shelby 427 roadster and the new GT4.
You want a reliable car yet you'd rather put a turbo rotary in a Miata instead of a virtually bulletproof Ford V8? Your ignorance is baffling.
Old 10-22-2006, 06:35 AM
jaje
HC Racer H5

DSM Conquest's were pretty quick cars...have several friends who had them and built some pretty impressive turbo upgrades for them...they also handle pretty well if you know what you are doing

Stock though the were pretty reliable when new but now that they are older it is a major issue...plus they didn't sell very many so pickings are very limited and you'll likely get a severely abused car
Old 10-22-2006, 12:50 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

Why?
because drag cars go in a straight line. they dont need to handle. the only turning they do is at the end of the track when coming back down the return lane.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:51 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

I kind like a race car that I could spend more time making it faster and better. Rather than spending all my time fixing an unreliable pos.
race cars break stuff all the time. you'll be replacing stuff anyway.
Old 10-22-2006, 04:12 PM
revhappy420

Classic B13 91-94 Sentra SE-R. of course I'm biased though

Honestly though, you can grab a decent one for less than $2G's, get some shortened strut coilovers, a rear sway bar, some sticky tires and lightweight 15's. As far as the SR20, cams and bolt ons or the FI route and you'll have a wicked sleeper for under $6G's. Don't let the specs fool you, this car's true pleasure comes when you drive it and it is extremely capable on the track. It was after all on the C&D Ten Best list every year it was produced.

www.sr20forum.com and www.se-r.net for more info.
my 2 cents