Notices
On Topic Serious discussion and debate. No nonsense will be tolerated.

Gotta love conspiracy theories

Old 09-20-2006, 10:30 AM
Kestrel
Push to shock!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DVPGSR
You just don't get it.

Crusades were done on both sides, Muslim and Christian to claim, reclaim, capture, etc. the Holy Land. That happened centuries ago and is not relevent to today.

When was the last time there was a forceful Christian conversion?
Not at all relevant. There is no forceful Muslim conversion going on either, not that it's really that necessary anyway to use force since converting to Islam is really easy. And there are plenty of Christian missionaries around the world converting people as well. Whether by force or not, well, we don't really know.

Who was the last native empire that Christians eliminated?
Well there are the native Americans in the US. And the Germans really put a good dent in the Jewish population in the 40's. Oh, and how bout the African and Pacific Islander tribes that the Western world displaced in the early 1900's?

Discrimination? Against who?
How bout Jews (a la 3rd Reich)?
Or each other (a la Catholic vs. Protestant Northern Ireland)?

When was the last abortion bombing done by Christians?
The last major one that you probably heard about is 1998. However, in 2005, there were two arson attacks on abortion clinics (firebombing, if you will).

But the biggest difference is that there is a huge majority of Christians that will speak out against that and chastise those that perpetrate it. When was the last time that the Muslim/Islamic community stood up and called for an end to the suicide bombings perpetrated by Palestinians? When was the last time the stood up and repudiated the calling for the death of the Pope? They hada good chance recently. When was the last time a large majority acted against Al Qaeda in Iraq for bombing markets and killing police recruits?

Sure the radicals make up a small percentage of Muslims and I think the majority are peacefull. But their silence at worst makes them complicit or at best scared of reprisals from the majority, either way it leads to a worse impression of Islam and at this point they need to be on a huge PR blitz to make the rest of the world believe them. And not just their words but their actions.
Please, show me evidence of a huge majority of Christians speaking out against violence. Even more so, show how you know that the large majority of Muslims in this country don't speak out against violence. When I lived in Ann Arbor and here at Stanford, there were plenty of peace demonstrations by Palestinian/Arab students. But, when it's just 500 students or so, it's not going to get past the local newspaper. Multiply that by a hundred or so major college campuses, and you have a lot of Muslims speaking out against violence.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:58 AM
CRAIGHIMSELF
Be good

Im with Tom on this one.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:33 AM
redgoober4life
I eat plastic.

Are you kidding? This has to be one of the dumbest comments in this thread. Where the hell did you get that idea?
Ah. I see.

We have very different views on who he was.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:53 PM
DVPGSR
I need sleep...

There is no forceful Muslim conversion going on either,
Link

Centanni later told CNN by telephone from Gaza City that they felt that they had to convert to Islam.

"I have the highest respect for Islam, but it was something we felt we had to do because they had the guns and we didn't know what the hell was going on," he said.
Well there are the native Americans in the US. And the Germans really put a good dent in the Jewish population in the 40's. Oh, and how bout the African and Pacific Islander tribes that the Western world displaced in the early 1900's?
Those acts may have been commited by Christians but they were not done under the name of Christianity. There is a big difference from those and Muslim extremist terrorists.

Please, show me evidence of a huge majority of Christians speaking out against violence. Even more so, show how you know that the large majority of Muslims in this country don't speak out against violence. When I lived in Ann Arbor and here at Stanford, there were plenty of peace demonstrations by Palestinian/Arab students. But, when it's just 500 students or so, it's not going to get past the local newspaper. Multiply that by a hundred or so major college campuses, and you have a lot of Muslims speaking out against violence.
Link

Not only do Christians speak out against fundamentalist Christians they write legislation to stop them from spreading their filth.

And it is good to hear that they do speak out but I would like to see CAIR do the same thing.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:36 PM
Kestrel
Push to shock!

That's one instance. Rewind 100 years and Christians were doing the same thing in other parts of the world.

Those acts may have been commited by Christians but they were not done under the name of Christianity. There is a big difference from those and Muslim extremist terrorists.
Maybe, but they were justified with religion. Manifest destiny?

Not only do Christians speak out against fundamentalist Christians they write legislation to stop them from spreading their filth.
Still not a majority, per se. One anecdote in a very regional setting.

I don't doubt that the majority of Christians are against fundamentalist Christians. All I'm saying is that just because you don't see Muslims demonstrating or speaking on TV about it, doesn't mean it isn't happening, in the US at least.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:39 AM
fjm1
G35

Is this what you are looking for?

"Muslim leaders in th U.S. have spoken out about sectarian violence. Most folks do not listen because the images of the Muslim leaders have been inevitably male, adult, (usually bearded), and almost always immigrant.
If we only see images of adult male Muslims of Arab and South Asian heritage on TV, at least for some people this will only reinforce the image of "Islam as the Other"."

http://groups.colgate.edu/aarislam/r...Organizations:

"When I lived in Ann Arbor and here at Stanford, there were plenty of peace demonstrations by Palestinian/Arab students. But, when it's just 500 students or so, it's not going to get past the local newspaper. Multiply that by a hundred or so major college campuses, and you have a lot of Muslims speaking out against violence." - Kestrel

You are on to something here. As the U.S. has the only decent university sytem in the world, educated Arabs will eventually figure out how to moderate the extremists.

What the Muslim world really needs their own T.V. station. Then they can feed the proper image via the cathode ray nipple.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:24 AM
DVPGSR
I need sleep...

Originally Posted by fjm1
Is this what you are looking for?
Yes, thank you.

Maybe our media needs to pay more attention to it, because if it is happening and not being reported to a wider audience in context with everything else it is not known.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:27 AM
DVPGSR
I need sleep...

Originally Posted by Kestrel
That's one instance. Rewind 100 years and Christians were doing the same thing in other parts of the world.

Maybe, but they were justified with religion. Manifest destiny?

Still not a majority, per se. One anecdote in a very regional setting.

I don't doubt that the majority of Christians are against fundamentalist Christians. All I'm saying is that just because you don't see Muslims demonstrating or speaking on TV about it, doesn't mean it isn't happening, in the US at least.
That is the most public instance available but it is still happening today. You claimed it was not.

Hitler believed in a Master Aryan race of Germanic peoples. If he did what he did in the name of Christianity why was he so harsh on the Polish who are a very Catholic nation?

And see my post above. If Muslims are protesting and it is not getting air time then that is a problem because the only side you see or hear is the ones committing the attrocities and terrorist attacks. Why are their protests not front and center on Al Jazera instead of the latest Al Qaeda tape?
Old 09-21-2006, 10:06 AM
fjm1
G35

Why are their protests not front and center on Al Jazera instead of the latest Al Qaeda tape?

Because the powers that be prefer us to be at war.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:20 PM
Kestrel
Push to shock!

That is the most public instance available but it is still happening today. You claimed it was not.
Fine. But Christians were doing this a century earlier. So this makes these 2, at best, even.

Hitler believed in a Master Aryan race of Germanic peoples. If he did what he did in the name of Christianity why was he so harsh on the Polish who are a very Catholic nation?
Because Germany is a Protestant nation, especially in the Berlin/northern areas. And protestants typically don't like Catholics, and Nazis particularly didn't like Catholic Slavs.

And see my post above. If Muslims are protesting and it is not getting air time then that is a problem because the only side you see or hear is the ones committing the attrocities and terrorist attacks. Why are their protests not front and center on Al Jazera instead of the latest Al Qaeda tape?
The simple answers are access and ratings. Al Jazeera isn't located in the US, it has no branch offices in the US, and it certainly isn't going to pay for reporters to go to the US to cover 500 Arab college students making speeches. And, let's face it, we're much more interested in the latest Al Qaeda tape. It's the same reasons that you don't see that much of it on American TV.