Notices
On Topic Serious discussion and debate. No nonsense will be tolerated.

NSA Domestic Spying - Judge orders immediate halt

Old 08-20-2006, 09:18 PM
qtiger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DVPGSR
Those are the ones that they went to the FISA courts for, not the ones they are not obtaining warrants for. You have no data that says the courts will also allow all of the non-warranted wiretaps.
There's no reason for the NSA to go to a normal court for a warrant in these types of cases. If, as President Bush claims (but I doubt) this program only targets foreign nationals, it fits the bill of FISA perfectly.

And as I've said before, if FISA is broken, lets fix it. Wiretap everyone who needs wiretapping, I have no problem with that. But this needs to be law on the books to be followed, not just a policy statement from the oval office.

That's not because I hate Bush either. If we do wiretap something important, we can't have some terrorist's lawyers getting him off the hook based on how shady this wiretap system is. The evidence needs to be solid, and more importantly of undisputable legality.

Originally Posted by DVPGSR
When it comes to fighting terrorism, and given that this scope is very narrow and limited, I see no problem with it nor do I see it as a violation of the Constitution.
Do you also believe that it was within the President's powers to create and implement this program? If so, what do you think grants him this power?
Old 08-21-2006, 11:40 AM
fjm1
G35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It doesn't matter at this point. The NSA has probably been doing all sorts of funky things that could be considered "domestic spying". The rest of the action from this point forward is lipstick on a pig.

Two rules on Black Ops: First, make damn sure your right. Second, once your done it never existed.

In light of 9/11 there was ample justification to ramp up the espionage. The problems seem to rest around our ablility to keep a secret/erase the evidence.