Notices
On Topic Serious discussion and debate. No nonsense will be tolerated.

Hamas ending treaty with Israel

Old 12-09-2005, 01:21 PM
M@rshy
٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hamas ending treaty with Israel

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4514548.stm
The political leader of the Palestinian militant group Hamas has said it will not renew its informal ceasefire with Israel that expires at the end of year. Khaled Meshaal told a rally in the Syrian capital Damascus his group was preparing for a new round of conflict.
The truce begun in February was based on Israel ending its attacks on Palestinians and releasing prisoners.
Hamas had already said it would pull out of the truce when Israel killed a military leader in November.
Addressing the crowd at the Yarmouk refugee camp near Damascus, Mr Meshaal said there was no room for a truce.
"I say to our brothers in the [Palestinian] Authority that we are witnessing political stagnation," he said.
"I say it loudly, we will not enter a new truce and our people are preparing for a new round of conflict."
Mr Meshaal was named the organisation's most senior figure after the assassination of Hamas leader Sheikh Ahmed Yassin in March 2004.
Correspondents say Hamas' politburo, which Mr Meshaal heads, is more hardline and ideological than the group's leadership in Gaza.

This can't be a good step in creating peace between the two sides..
Old 12-09-2005, 06:34 PM
Troopa-R

Originally Posted by MarshyTheKid
This can't be a good step in creating peace between the two sides..
Admittedly, Meshaal has a point. The process has stagnated. I'm not condoning an end to the truce or the resumption of offensive attacks from either side, but neither Israel or the Authority seem to have made any progress lately.

One step towards peace, imo, would be for Israel drop its demand that the Hamas organization as a whole be taken down. To understand the popularity of Hamas in the Palestinian territories, it's necessary to see Hamas' social welfare programs - schools, hospitals, charities. For many Palestinians, Hamas has been a source of support against the ineffective and corrupt Fatah leadership. That Hamas has a radical militant and political wing has to be seen as a seperate issue. The Holy Land has a long history of Jews and Muslims living side-by-side relatively peacefully and without doubt in my mind, if the secularist Fatah had executed the same kinds of social programs with the same kind of integrity Hamas does now, groups like Hamas would have a lot less success with their political and military agenda.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:13 PM
DVPGSR
I need sleep...

It's not that they want Hamas taken down they want them to be disarmed and let the PA under Abbas do the policing.

This is only going to cause problems for Abbas as the PA is fracturing and people are taking sides, Hamas vs. Abbas for control of the PA. One seems to want a settlement by peace one wants it by force.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:28 PM
Troopa-R

For whatever reason, maybe in the past, I recall Israel demanding the total disassembly of groups like Hamas, not just disarming them. Clearly this isn't the case now.

Still, to address groups like Hamas, Fatah (or another centrist/secularist group) needs to get back to the grassroots, clean up the corruption at the top, and gain the trust of the people. The worst case scenario of Likud running Israel and Hamas in charge of the Authority is looking more likely everyday.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:13 PM
Dorikin
530i

A Labour government this time around would mean economic collapse.

Thank god for Kadima. Sharon knows that he has to make peace before he dies, so I am hoping that the Kadima party will be re-elected this time around.